PDA

View Full Version : Thruxton R

Engineer
19-07-18, 08:32
Been commuting everyday for the last two weeks on the Thruxton R - bloody lovely :D

oblertone
19-07-18, 08:39
To work, every day, how plebeian.

The Nutty KTMer
19-07-18, 09:48
I couldn't think of anything worse.

Engineer
19-07-18, 12:29
To work, every day, how plebeian.

It’s not ‘work’ it’s doing what I enjoy, so a motorcycle commute makes it even better, especially in this weather :D

Engineer
19-07-18, 12:30
I couldn't think of anything worse.

What riding a motorcycle?

Davy F
19-07-18, 13:24
No matter how you try to dress it.....it’s still work and you’re still a slave. :P

Nice 'n' Fat
19-07-18, 13:49
Itís not Ďworkí itís doing what I enjoy, so a motorcycle commute makes it even better, especially in this weather :D

So you're not commuting to work then :confused:

jonnie comet
19-07-18, 14:21
I know a bloke who does a lovely twenty miles each way (windy road, hugging the coast) commute on a Moto Guzzi Griso......only in summer mind....;)

I always think that it's a great way to start the day. Summer sun coming up, early start, just getting the MG out of the garage and starting her up must get the juices flowing.

Nice, and oh so :cool:

thebuyer
19-07-18, 15:48
Donít rise to these idiots ... us R owners must stick together ... even if I donít ride mine.

Enjoy your ride wherever it takes you .

Engineer
19-07-18, 18:16
No matter how you try to dress it.....it’s still work and you’re still a slave. :P

I am a slave to doing what I enjoy - a sort of self imposed slavery - is that possible?

Engineer
19-07-18, 18:19
Donít rise to these idiots ... us R owners must stick together ... even if I donít ride mine.

Enjoy your ride wherever it takes you .

Such a great looking bike possibly the best :) I am now up to nearly 4000 miles since last June, not bad considering most of the year I am on the GS.

Tango2
19-07-18, 20:29
I got one a month or so ago. Love it. Canít believe some thing so beautiful is such a blast to ride ! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180719/ba0d2d79e8167ae520355463547740ca.jpg

longdog
21-07-18, 13:52
Lovely looking bikes, probably the best looking cafe racers ever :beerjug:

Engineer
21-07-18, 16:32

Absolutely!

thebuyer
21-07-18, 19:25

That’s why I’ve not sold it even tho I’ve not ridden it this summer.... looked at other bikes but nothing presses my buttons

Bones
27-08-18, 08:28
I am chuffed with my std Thruxton. It's given me my biking mojo back, I am going out for rides for the sake of it, haven't done that for years. Too many years of commuting on my GS meant that come the weekend riding was the last thing I fancied doing. Retiring early and getting the Thruxton was a good move. I am considering putting T120 bars and headstock on it though. The rearsets can stay as they aren't very. I have also fitted a dual comfort seat and rear pegs as the solo seat was a pain in the arse - literally.

leadfarmer
27-08-18, 09:03
I am chuffed with my std Thruxton. It's given me my biking mojo back, I am going out for rides for the sake of it, haven't done that for years. Too many years of commuting on my GS meant that come the weekend riding was the last thing I fancied doing. Retiring early and getting the Thruxton was a good move. I am considering putting T120 bars and headstock on it though. The rearsets can stay as they aren't very. I have also fitted a dual comfort seat and rear pegs as the solo seat was a pain in the arse - literally.

If you’re still on standard suspension you might be interested by this

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/448144-T100-T120-Round-2/page4?highlight=T120

Bones
28-08-18, 14:19
If you’re still on standard suspension you might be interested by this

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/448144-T100-T120-Round-2/page4?highlight=T120

Thanks for that. I had noticed the suspension wasn't as plush as my GS (Wilbers) or Mille (Ohlins) but I was hoping the rear shocks might get more compliant with miles. The forks I can live with (for now). The two pot sliding brake calipers lack feel as well but TBH as a package I am happy as I didn't buy it to be a track blade.

leadfarmer
28-08-18, 14:22
Thanks for that. I had noticed the suspension wasn't as plush as my GS (Wilbers) or Mille (Ohlins) but I was hoping the rear shocks might get more compliant with miles. The forks I can live with (for now). The two pot sliding brake calipers lack feel as well but TBH as a package I am happy as I didn't buy it to be a track blade.

The brakes seem to get better after a few thousand kms , they stop you pretty well if needed you just have to give them a good squeeze

Bones
30-08-18, 13:08
....they stop you pretty well if needed you just have to give them a good squeeze

Which suits me just fine. The bike I chopped in for the Thruxton had top spec radial Brembo's, active suspension and more electronic aids than you can shake a stick at, and to be honest it left me a bit cold. I found myself looking at MT-07's and the like and thinking that's all I want really. I ended up with the Thruxton and I am much happier, it reminds me why I ride a bike, it's fun.

thebuyer
07-05-19, 16:05
So Iíve not used it for a year now ... love it 2 look at but the riding position isnít for me any more ... so itís time for it 2 go :rob

Now I have 2018 GSA and a 2003 Bonneville. So what fills the gap ?

Looked at the Z900 RS but looks very plasticky

Keep going back to the R9T ... but feels old technology

Fancy Triumph speed twin but think it needs spoked wheels

Any other suggestions? Except a Harley... I just canít do that :barf

Melch
07-05-19, 16:49
So I’ve not used it for a year now ... love it 2 look at but the riding position isn’t for me any more ... so it’s time for it 2 go :rob

Any other suggestions? Except a Harley... I just can’t do that :barf

That's not what you were saying at Wheels and Waves last year. Don't worry though your little secret is safe. No one needs to find out.

thebuyer
07-05-19, 18:54
That's not what you were saying at Wheels and Waves last year. Don't worry though your little secret is safe. No one needs to find out.

Shhhhh It was the alcohol and drugs ;)

Greenman14
07-05-19, 20:30
Can’t believe spoked wheels aren’t available for the Speed Twin, agree it would look better with them but it wouldn’t put me off one.

rainbow-walker
07-05-19, 21:18
I can't remember where I read/watched it, but the 7 spoke aluminum wheels are much lighter than the spoked, contributing to the weight difference (and specifically unsprung weight) between the Thruxton and the Speed Twin.

Agree spokes look nice though.

RBW.

Hut van
07-05-19, 21:41
So I’ve not used it for a year now ... love it 2 look at but the riding position isn’t for me any more ... so it’s time for it 2 go :rob

Any other suggestions? Except a Harley... I just can’t do that :barf

I'm waiting for my Indian FTR to arrive in the next week or so.
Sold my GS Lc after 5 years, great bike but just fancied a total change.
Only the second new bike out of 15 that I ordered without a test ride.
Hope I haven't fu-- up , anyway I was a bit like yourself and looked at every thing under the sun
Before placing the order, oh well here goes nothing.