Italy

cnycl

Planning to have a trip from Turkey to Italy. I'll take the bike to Brindisi by ferry and I'm planning to spend appr. 12 days in the country. I planned a route but actually I don't know much about Italy other than internet, books and my past visits to Rome and Firenze. Therefore suggestions from gsers who has traveled Italy before, mean a lot to me. I don't want to spend most of my time on touristic excursions in cities populated by tourists so recommendations about riding in the countryside and alps, routes discovering small Italia will be very appreciated.

Best regards,

Hi Cyncl

I myself live in the North of Italy, don't really know much about the south but I can recommend Lake Garda and surrounding areas. There are some wonderful roads near Garda the town itself. San Zeno di Montagna is close to Garda and has some wonderful views of the lake and some lovely twisty little roads leading down to various small towns on the lake i.e. Torre del Benaco and Malcesine and many others and if you did get bored you can always head off to the alps which start at the top of Lake Garda. Hope you have a wonderful time. You can also pop into Verona of an evening to see the opera in the Arena which is spectacular and sometimes they have popular groups playing there. Many years ago I saw Pink Floyd on their Delicate Sound of Thunder tour. Have Fun.

Jay

If you head north as far as the Dolomites I really recommend (as I have several times already on this site) that you look at this site and download and print the Dolomite maps.

Judging from your point of entry and time there, may I suggest that north is a bit too far. About 230 miles away (due West) is the Amlfi coast. Do the coast road and go up to Naples the scenery, atmosphere and experience is stunning. The whole deal is beautiful, Sorrento, Capri, you name it.
Good luck and wherever you go in Italy will be an experience.

I recommend that you head for the region of Abruzzo (opposite Rome), full of national parks with excellent roads up through beautiful medieval villages into the Appenine mountains. Up to the Campo Imperatore (where Mussolini was found hiding at the end of WW2) towards the Gran Sasso the highest peak in the Apennines, has excellent twisties up to a marvellous plateau where there are 2 Delicatesan/butchers selling their wares, where you come out of the shop and BBQ your purchases on BBQ's all stoked up ready to go while you sit down check out the talent, bikes and of course the view. Also the mountains of Abruzzo are only an hour from the coast so the best of both worlds if you fancy a stretch on a beach.

My 2p worth.

Decster

Thanks for all replies,

I forgot to mention, my point of departure from italy will be Ancona. Therefore, a route following the west side of the country up to north and then returning back to Ancona from east side seems logical for me. As all of you said, it seems like we'll have a nice time in Italy.

S'cuse me. Ancona IS on the east side:confused:
Anyway if you intend to do some WEST coast (the bit on the left:D ) do not miss the Amalfi coast road. Be careful on Sunday's because the local GSXR brigade race up and down it.

Hi - I live in Naples and can of course recommend the Amalfi coast but unfortunately it's very crowded at this time of year.

For the more quiet zones I'd suggest Umbria and then taking the back roads up to Siena then further up north to Trentino Alto Adige - for me this is the most beautiful part of Italy.

"Bugger! I was there on Monday, could have helped you drink some of your wine! "

Shenzi - next time let me know!! Naples is tops for food, wine and generally a good time - you just need to be super careful on the roads.

Italian Trev said:
"Bugger! I was there on Monday, could have helped you drink some of your wine! "

Shenzi - next time let me know!! Naples is tops for food, wine and generally a good time - you just need to be super careful on the roads.

Will do thanks. This time we had taken the train down from Gaeta taking the kids to Pompeii.

Back
Top Bottom