Something positive.

Le singe

As it's been said that people are more inclined to report problems than trouble-free ownership,I'd thought I'd try and re-dress the balance a bit.
I bought my '94 R1100GS here in France almost 3 years ago, it had 63K kms on the clock and I bought it from a BMW dealers in Vannes.
In spite of the assurances that it had been fully serviced,I found a few adjustments I wasn't happy with so serviced the whole bike,which is a good way of becoming acquainted with it anyway.
It's now done almost 24K kms more and I've had the following problems:
Bevel box to swinging arm adjuster unwound due to not having been Loctite'd properly.
Camchain adjusters fitted with free-play reducing rods.
'Soft' thread in head,(for rocker cover bolt),fitted with insert.
And that's it!
I've modified a few bits,pistons,cams,fueling amongst others,plus changed to the obligatory alloys from the spoked wheels.
I'm totally happy with it and can't see a reason to change.
I'm looking forward to this winter when I'm hopefully going to convert it to carburettors,why? because you can!
Perhaps I've been fortunate because I chose the best version of the GS,(in black as well), first time around. :)

Bought my 2000 1150GS late May 2004 with 24,074 miles on the clock, just turned past 42,000 miles yesterday.

Apart from consumables, I've replaced the l/h cam chain tensioner with the uprated part (no longer avaialable?) & replaced the Paralever pivot bearings.

Serviced it myself for £65.00 each time using service kits & Castrol GPS. Over 5,500 miles of the mileage I've done has been abroad in 9 countries.

Fork bridge was corroded when I bought so can't complain.

Bought my 1999 R1100GS new and have ridden it for 82000km. Only one problem under warranty and that was the rear shock otherwise no problems.
Final drive oil seal leaked at about 50,000km but the rest has just been consumables. At 82,000km it's just starting to loosen up and feel really good :D

I have to agree!
Bought my 03 1150 (that's captain twinspark to you Blackadder!) and now at just over 28,000 miles it's never missed a beat.

Do all my own servicing once the warranty ran out and it's been the best bike I've ever owned (currently also have a Ducati 996).

No complaints and looking at a two week trip around Ireland in late August. :D

Back
Top Bottom