PDA

View Full Version : R1100GS Taller Screen. Any Advice?

Andy Hird
03-08-05, 12:11
I would like to fit a taller screen to my R1100GS. I would like it to look as close to standard as possible, but any info or advice would be really appreciated

doctor
03-08-05, 12:27
tried tobinators?
worked for me.

trotsky
03-08-05, 16:46
I went with "not looking close to standard" with tobinators and an adventure screen which works for me. Before this I did look around and the best option looked like (didn't try it) a 4 inch higher screen that Motorworks were selling. They had it on special offer a while ago - it's 56.00 in their catalogue (FAA13260 tinted, FAA13257 clear).

There aren't too many options that I can recall from when I looked. Worth a search (red button up top there) for older threads on this but most are 1150 queries, so include 1100 in the search terms...

Yosi
03-08-05, 16:50
I have in my eleven a GIVI (Wunderlich) Screen. Works perfect for me...

Sea Lion
03-08-05, 16:54
I bought my bike with a Givi tall screen and have now put the original back on:

Firstly, the new screen foued the hand guards, if I had dropped the bike, the whole screen assembly would have taken the force rather than the steering stop.

Secondly, it was just a bit too effective. I have bought tall screens before for other bikes and 'wind in your face etc.' is part of the 'experience', I often find they can make you feel a bit too remote, too cocooned from what's going on around you.

That's personal opinion of course but try adjusting the screen first, don't be afraid to move it to the bolt upright position, it works best there I find.

Deleted account W
03-08-05, 17:05
Took the screen off my 1150 a month ago. Far better now, no buffeting and can sit at 90 on a motorway with no noticable differance and a better veiw of the road.

I've tried the following with and without Tobinators, the standard, the standard cut down by 4", a tall Givi and a two piece adjustable MRA.

I'll be doing the Lahinch trip without any of them :thumb

I may stick the MRA or the Givi back on in the depths of winter but I still got wet after a good downpour with them so maybe not.

PJGoose69
03-08-05, 17:52
Hey sea Lion,
you still got the Givi??
If so, let me know if you want to sell it to me before my head falls off!!
Tried to pm you, but couldn't, sorry to hijack the thread.....

Goose

Andy Hird
03-08-05, 18:11
Thanks for the info. Never heard of tobinators before but they look good. Am I right in thinking that I have to get either a 1150 screen or an Adveture screen for them to work on my 1100GS ?

I think it all boils down to personal preference with screens, am I right. And it seems to me a lot of people spend a lot of money experiment to find perfection and then revert to the standard. Any views ? I'm new to this site......isn't it excellent !!

trotsky
03-08-05, 18:40
Tobinators - read all you need at http://www.stopthebuffeting.com/. Yep, you'll need a standard 1150 or adventure screen. Can look good though, see http://www.stopthebuffeting.com/HowToBuyR1100GS.html - dat's my bike dere dat is. (and at http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43682& for the full change)

If you hang around here long enough you'll be bankrupt at the end of it:(

Andy Hird
03-08-05, 18:57
Bloody hell Trotsky.....your bike looks great ! Is it an 1100GS ? it looks like an 1150 at the front. If it is an 1100 how did you convert the front end. I'd like to do the same to mine. Has yours got the 1150 headlight and mudguard ? Please could you send me info and prices ?

paddy
03-08-05, 20:13
What do you need a taller sceen for on this bike.
Just buy a 1200.

roddy
03-08-05, 20:44
Andy have you tried removing the screen and the oval oblong nuts that the screen screws go into,

you can cut away half of the oval that goes into the screen guides up to the captive nut thats moulded inside , this will give you an extra bit of adjustment, but it make a big difference, I did this and it made all the difference on the motorway.

it's worth a try since it onlt takes 10mins to do.

HTH
Roddy

trotsky
04-08-05, 08:16
Bloody hell Trotsky.....your bike looks great ! Is it an 1100GS ? it looks like an 1150 at the front. If it is an 1100 how did you convert the front end. I'd like to do the same to mine. Has yours got the 1150 headlight and mudguard ? Please could you send me info and prices ?

Andy, the changed beak came from the man behind this thread (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10570) and it wasn't cheap as you can see. Then I had to get Muppet to paint it to get a good finish. But yeah, it looks better. Bit of a vanity investment that one.

Now I want another bike to work on, I think I've done all that I can sensibly do to that one :D

Sea Lion
04-08-05, 08:20
Hey sea Lion,
you still got the Givi??
If so, let me know if you want to sell it to me before my head falls off!!
Tried to pm you, but couldn't, sorry to hijack the thread.....

Goose

Goose69
Havn't had my status uprated to site sponsor yet, only paid yesterday. That's probably why you can't pm me.
As screen is just gathering dust, might as well flog it. Was pretty well new when i bought the bike and only kept it on a couple of weeks.
Suggest you e-mail me directly: chris@lines57.fsnet.co.uk

Sea Lion

Andy Hird
04-08-05, 11:50
Trotsky thanks for the info. I'll contact the guy today. With regard to the adventure screen on your bike, I can't see from the photographs how the bottom of the screen looks against the headlight. On the 1150 doesn't the screen follow the curvatures of the "patrick Moore" bulging eye headlights. Did you do any mods to the screen at the bottom, or did you just leave it standard, and does it look o.k ?
Hope to hear from you soon, and many thanks.

trotsky
04-08-05, 16:24
I cut the bottom of the screen to an even curve with a dremel then put some screen trim across the bottom to cover the stress whitening that was left - looks tidier... A second hand adventure screen cost me 70 (from Steptoe of this parish - he doesn't have them often...)

The finish on the beak when it arrives is crap, but Muppet (search the site for him) took on the job of cleaning up and painting it. Budget another 80 to 100 for that job....

longdog
04-08-05, 21:02
Want a better screen? Simple! Get an MRA Vario

:thumb

Bikergary
24-09-05, 18:19
I wanted a taller screen (though have cut down an old screen which is great in the summer but now the rain's coming want a little more wether protection), but sseing so many people with different oppinons I wanted somthing I could adjust so I ordered some Tobinators for my 1100GS, totally forgetting that I needed an 1150 or Adv screen.

Damn, felt like a plonker ringing good ol Nippy Normans as the (nice) guy at the end pointed out it did state i needed one and I couldn't use the 1100 Screen.

But me being a stubburn git decided that with all the bit's I'm sure I could fit the 1100 screen on.....
.... and I did (though I did cut a small section from the underneath of the screen so i could bring it back a bit.), I'm pleased with it so far though needs a good all weather run.

Saying that does anyone have an 1150 smoked screen they have kicking around they don't want, I might be interested sometime in the future :bounce1

Muppet
25-09-05, 10:20
Looks like someone's just stuck something very large and uncomfortable up it's exhaust pipe :D

Bikergary
26-09-05, 10:17
:D :D :D

mmm, might be right

<<Mark_C>>
26-09-05, 15:32
Have you seen this thread about getting more adjustment from the standard screen:-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47710&highlight=1100+screen

Works for me!

Mark

oblertone
26-09-05, 18:21
Try this (http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm) , worked for me and although expensive is cheaper than a new screen. You'll find some pic's of it on my bike here. (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52608&highlight=micro+swirl)