Single Bike to Morroco

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having finally convinced the wife to go to Morroco, my wingman has pulled out.

Question. Is it safe / Advisable to go it alone? I dont really plan to do any offroad stuff.
So it will just be the risk of breakdowns or accidents which may pose a problem.

Any thoughts

cheers

baz

I wouldn't have any qualms about going alone on a bike to Morocco, and did so in 1972.

Here's some pics from our trip this year.

I would say your chances of having an accident are low--the roads are generally in good repair, traffic volumes outside of main towns are quite light and drivers are generally non-aggressive (compared to the idiots in France and Spain).

If you have a breakdown you'll find Morocco has very capable mechanics who can get most things working so long as it's not electronics-based. If the worst comes to the worst you would have to hire a van and driver to get the bike back up to Spain.

I would suggest, however, that you avoid the Rif Mountains, at least on the way down. It's a poor introduction to Morocco--the roads are bad, the locals not helpful, and the otherwise friendly police are noticably absent.

Tim

Looks good Tim, was the 2610 any good out there, Finding fuel, hotels etc??

I've been trying to plot a route at the moment, but it doesnt seem to want to go where I want it to.

Baz

If it's going wrong near Ouezzane, it's because there's an error. Zoom in and you will see the road heading south east isn't connected to the one going north-south.

Mapsource doesn't have petrol stations or hotels, but I do have a few waypoints for the hotels we used. If you want a copy, email your address to me at tim.cullis @ infar.co.uk

We never had a problem with fuel--all reasonably large towns have modern petrol stations with unleaded fuel next to the main road.

Tim

Baz said:
Any thoughts

cheers

baz

Went single bike for my honeymoon in June 2003. No problems. As to breakdowns etc, I stopped at the side of a deserted mountain road to take a photo of the view, and before I was off the bike there were 3 locals on me trying to sell me 'recovery'.

Basically, if you can afford it, it is readily available. And what it costs depends on what you can afford :)

Spoke to the wife earlier today about the trip, her only regret is the hotels we stayed in - I chose ones recommended in the travel guides (Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, The Guardian), she says she will only go again if we stay in Western/American ones. Issues around women were quite an issue.....

ps dont worry about the carpet salesmen, they know you are on a bike, luckily they will post it to you ;)

Zmeagol said:
If it's going wrong near Ouezzane, it's because there's an error. Zoom in and you will see the road heading south east isn't connected to the one going north-south.

Mapsource doesn't have petrol stations or hotels, but I do have a few waypoints for the hotels we used. If you want a copy, email your address to me at tim.cullis @ infar.co.uk

Tim

Thats the problem Tim- Roads not connected, I'm getting Anita to nip into the shops today to try & pick up the Michellin Map for the area so I can plan a proper route.

Have sent an emailCheers

baz

Baz

Tim

E mail received muscho appreciated.

Baz

DavidHolmes said:
her only regret is the hotels we stayed in - I chose ones recommended in the travel guides (Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, The Guardian), she says she will only go again if we stay in Western/American ones.
Accor Hotels has a number of chains in Morocco, the best value being IBIS which costs about £30 per twin room per night. Pool, beer and normally next to western-style 'restaurants' such as McD.

Tim

Been there twice in the last four years. a great country and roads vary from good to manageable. You can see a lot without going offroad. Hotels are cheap - use Lonely Planet or Rough Guide. Agree with comments about Rif mountains though I enjoyed them. You do have to negotiate wall to wall hash dealers.

All the mountains - Middle Atlas, High Atlas and Anti Atlas well worth a visit and if you want to chill out on the coast and want to avoid the tourist trail Sidi Ifni is a must.

Good luck.

Very nice and helpful people in Morocco (as long as yu're not staying in a big city since they are like all big cities..).

You don't really need to de-cat, but it's helpful, since once I ran out of gas and the only gas was leaded. The rest of the trip was unleaded.

Check this site (ChesterKik ). There's a Garmin GPS Track you can download and his story and great photos. Sorry, sometimes the English is a bit weird, but that's because I translated it from French :D

Watch out for the truck drivers. They're a cross between French drivers, Kamikazes and GP drivers.... :(

Here's my ride report (including lessons learnt)--> clicky clicky

Erg Chebbi

Can anyone tell me if Erg Chebbi is worth a detour?
I was planning one night in Erfoud, however some of the literature I have read recommends staying in Merzouga for at least one night to watch the sun set/rise. Is it really worth the ride down ?
My Michellin Map doesnt realyy give too much info on the route to Merzouga, is there a defined road or are we talkng a track.

Thanks Baz

Back
Top Bottom