GPS & PDA's

Dennis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Question for all the tech-heads out there..........

I've just bought a Garmin GPS V, but i'm a bit dissapointed with the amount of map data you can get in the 19mb of memory on the unit. However, I also have an HP Jornada PDA which uses compact flash memory cards (128mb).

Does anyone know if it is possible to save my routes to the PDA, and then to upload them to the GPS. It would then mean that when going off touring, I can upload a part of the route at a time, effectively overcoming the limited memory with a series of cards.:confused:

I think that there are various Mapping software utils available that will allow downloads/uploads to your GPS from a PC and some for a PDA, try looking on www.pocketgps.com? the exact url escapes me at the mo, or one of the Satellite GPS usenet groups for info. I've downloaded Oziexplorer CE version onto a IPAQ which claims to be able to upload maps? or maybe just routes/waypoints onto a Garmin if you have an appropriate data cable. I dont have either so I just get to look at a pretty screen.
But u are still limited to how much mapping info u can store on a PDA, dependant of how much ram its got etc etc

Iain Mac

the urls of the PDA gps info site (amongst others) is http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/
another info site gps generic is http://www.gpsinformation.net/
and the Oziexplorer sware is available for eval from
http://www.oziexplorer.com/.
As I said i'm no expert (if I didnt I should have) but from what i've read on the above sites? and usenet group sci.geo.satellite-nav it implies thats its possible to scan topo maps and load them into oziexplorer and then load some info into the GPS.. until i get hardware I cant confirm one way or t'other

Iain Mac

Thanks for that Iain, had a look at the pocket GPS site, lots of interesting stuff there. According to an answer to a very similar question onone of there forums, it simply can't be done. However I live in hope that some clever so an' so out there has the answer. Meanwhile I guess i'll just have to wish I'd spent the little extra and bought a US spec Streetpilot 111 with it's interchangabe data cards.

Why do we get so ripped of with prices in the UK. A new Streetpilot 111 sells for well under £500 in the US !!!!!:mad:

Dennis,
Have you tried G7toWin yet? Here's the > site <.
It works with a StreetPilot III and a Jornada 565, I've tried that. Not really worked with it, but the communication works both ways. I'll know more when I really test it next summer for some trips.
Have fun testing and keep us posted!
Michel

Michel,
Thanks, that could be the answer I was looking for. There is also a link for Garmin cables, as I will need a garmin to USB connector (or a Serial to USB convertor). I'll let you know how I get on. Although I may have solved the problem by another route: I think I have just bought an American Streetpilot 111 delux for £434.
Anyone want to buy a brand new GPS V complete with brand new Touratech mount ????

How Much

Hi Dennis

I may be interested in the Garmin V and mount or possibly just the mount. How much are you looking for?

Email me here .

Thanks
Bevan

Back
Top Bottom