PDA

View Full Version : Bike died in the wet

Rory
14-08-05, 21:01
Hi - first post.

Took my bike out yesterday (R1200GS bought september last year 2k miles on clock) turned into very heavy rain and about 30 miles from home the LCD display suddenly went dead, speedo and rev counter still working (I later wondered if I had any lights at this point, but I couldn't tell), couple of miles latter engine starts to stutter, completely lost power and had to pull over. Engine stalls and I can't restart it. After a 2 hr wait picked up by recovery truck (engine still won't start, but alarm working all this time - resetting when key out etc). Had to take bike home as no dealers open. Charged battery overnight and bike starts (if a little rough at first).

Any ideas? Do I still need to take it into the dealer?

Cheers

Rory

(RIP) Jamie
14-08-05, 21:15
Do I still need to take it into the dealer?

Cheers

Rory

Oh yes - bit of rain shouldn't do that. These things can roll upside down in water, and after a little persuasion and tinkering will at worst get you home.

JohnnyBoxer
14-08-05, 21:34
Oh yes - bit of rain shouldn't do that. These things can roll upside down in water, and after a little persuasion and tinkering will at worst get you home.

It's a 1200, Jamie.........they don't like Rain........ :D

ELIMINATOR
14-08-05, 21:40
Ah, it's probably developed an allergy to rain after not being ridden much.

2,000 miles, & you've had it 11 months, shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rory
14-08-05, 21:48
I agree i haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked, but I was hoping for some more helpful and focussed comment

(RIP) Jamie
14-08-05, 21:56
I agree i haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked, but I was hoping for some more helpful and focussed comment

I supplied that. What you have to do is filter out the chaff :thumb

Take it back, it's wrong, and should be fixed.

Baaaaad Johnny :nono

Rory
14-08-05, 22:02
Thanks Jamie

(RIP) Jamie
14-08-05, 22:08
Thanks Jamie

Ooooo no, dont thank me, you'll get me a reputation :D

Rugged Path
15-08-05, 17:15
Come for a ride with us, I dream of the 'Wind chill factor' :D

Not a drop in sight :beer: rain that is. :D :D :D

Fanum
15-08-05, 17:27
Rory...don't know if this could be your problem but it sounds similar, apart from the LCD display though that could be related??

Have a read of this thread by Johhny Boxer......

(might be worth looking at anyway as it seems to be an acknowledged 1200 weak spot ;) )

LINKY LINK (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30406&highlight=water+ingress+1200)

:)

paulm
15-08-05, 19:08
last year in Spain my R1100S developed a similar sounding fault - ignition briefly dying and then half catching and running again - this was after about 5 hours riding in really heavy rain (in Spain - marvellous!)

took it to a dealer the following morning who said he thought that there was some damp in the (alternator i think) - the following day it slowly improved and gradually cleared itself in dry weather and was running perfectly by about mid-day - right up until the time i fell off it!!

so allow to dry and re-test! (but you're right they really ought to be completely waterproof didn't they)

Wanderer
16-08-05, 10:20
Rory

Were you on the yellow GS just outside of Rawtenstall? If so, it was me that stopped in the car to see if you needed any help. 2 hour wait!? I knew I should have popped up the road to pick you up a coffee from McD's.

Rory
16-08-05, 19:59
Fanum - thanks, not at home at the moment, but i'll look at my bike before I take it into the dealers as I suspect that they won't search for very long seeing as the bike starts and runs now.

Will - yes it was me - thanks for stopping and to the other two guys who stopped.