R100GS side stand query

graffiti

I've a 100GSPD and am looking to see if there is another type of side stand that will fit so I can flip it out (and it stay out) BEFORE I get off the bike.

Also the angle of lean is about to give me a hernia.

Anyone know if there is another one that will fit to make life easier.

Before I do myself injury...the bike goes unless I can sort it out!!!

there was. it was called a surefoot & is no longer available, possibly due to some stupid nanny state safety bullshit.

if you find a supplier, give us a shout 'cos i've been looking for one for 3 years now :(

just remembered: ernie at overland solutions will make you one with fitting welded to your bike for £130ish (2 year old price). i would have had it done, but i'ts not practical to leave my bike in sheerness for a week.

I've a 100GSPD and am looking to see if there is another type of side stand that will fit so I can flip it out (and it stay out) BEFORE I get off the bike.

Here ya go for about $50.00 US!!! www.schneidersinc.com

It is called "a sidestand fixer bracket" ( I have one and they work GREAT!!!)
Also, easily installed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this mod just allows the standard sidestand to remain down and not be sprung loaded to flip it up. If you've short legs then IMHO you need to go along the Surefoot route. I've offered before (but no one took it up) to measure up and draw mine, so others can get one made up at their local engineering workshop.

surefoot

cookie said:
there was. it was called a surefoot & is no longer available

Well it was still available last year from Motorworks, 'cos I bought one for my 80/7; true, I don't know if they do one for a PD but you could always ask on 0845 458 0077. I seem to recall it was done on an exchange basis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this mod just allows the standard sidestand to remain down and not be sprung loaded to flip it up.

I believe that is what he was looking or refering too,wasn't he...???... :nenau

.....another type of side stand that will fit so I can flip it out (and it stay out) BEFORE I get off the bike.

oblertone said:
Well it was still available last year from Motorworks, 'cos I bought one for my 80/7; true, I don't know if they do one for a PD but you could always ask on 0845 458 0077. I seem to recall it was done on an exchange basis.

not available for the GS for years.

Side stand

Paul,

Can you attach photo of your surefoot please, I have also PM'd you to draw and measure yours for me please, if it's easily done I'll try and find someone to make one?

This sounds more preferable to the american mod at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies

Paul,
I'd be interested in any drawings that you could make. The side stand on the 80 is just out of reach unlike the one on my 75/6 which can be reach while on the bike.

Simon (Sorebums) has a mod on his that I hope to replicate that simply moved the spring 'blob' a short way so stand stays out. I have some piccies, will try to dig out if helps - but would be 'suck it and see'. Still need manly length limbs though to use....and a block to stand to stand the bike more upright. ;)

sidestand

Have a chat with Howard Millichap - he designed a stand that was a) re-located so it was easily reached whilst sitting on the bike and b) had a larger square foot. Good bit of kit all round.

Paul G
(the other)

This is the Nigel Huish copy of a Surefoot sidestand I bought at this years BMF. It works fine and is far, far better than the standard one, however I'm going to make another which will be a little neater, less agricultural and welded to the lower frame.

Attachments

• SidestandA.jpg
    SidestandA.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 487
Blimey Paul that looks well lower than the footrest - don't you find it digs in on the lefthanders :eek: Even the standard one catchs - but perhaps I'm being a little to 'progressive' :rolleyes: , think that's what the police call it :D

Cookie
Yes you are right. The foot should be horizontal with the ground, and it's not.

Fritz
Digs in on left handers? Not the way I ride. I think I'd lose the LH rocker box before that happens.

As it happens, Grant Johnson talked to me about it at this years HU Meeting when he was very disparaging about the stand. What I intend to do is to measure it up then make my own version with the top welded to the bottom of the frame, a much shorter angled piece, and a longer leg with a foot which rests properly on the ground. I find this sidestand fine and far, far better than the original, but it could do with improvement.

'tis a nice enough looking stand to me Paul, sure there will be hardly a day in near future when I would wish it was on mine ! There'll be little 'scratching' going on on the dirt roads of South America......except when we fall off !

Back
Top Bottom