Cam Chain Tensioner - what does it sound like...

Sergeant Pluck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
... when its on the way out?

Since I took the Revolution off, I've noticed a weird 'chirruping' sound which starts at about 4300rpms and goes by about 5000. At first I thought pinking, but I don't think it's that as I can make it pink 'manually' and its an altogether more recogniseable sound. This is quieter. I've convinced myself that it sounds like something touching a chain which is moving at high speed. Could it be?

Everything else is fine, bike running better than ever at the mo...

Chirping might be alternator belt slipping. Had me fooled into thinking I had a head gasket leak once.

If you can torque the adjuster, it should be set and forget. Anyhow, it is easier to check than the chain tensioner...
The belt if it is the belt will chirp more with electrical load like Headlight and when accelerating.

SG

What you describe is exactly what I have described to Williams in Manchester and they firstly said they could hear it, but then once they had the bike, said they could not !

Let me guess that as you are riding the bike the sound is coming almost entirely from the left cylinder area. Lean to the left and you will hear it at exactly the revs you describe. Then lean over the right cylinder and you will not.

I am convinced this IS the CC tensioner and I am about to send my GSA back to Williams for another attempt.

Regards

White Cloud said:
SG

What you describe is exactly what I have described to Williams in Manchester and they firstly said they could hear it, but then once they had the bike, said they could not !

Let me guess that as you are riding the bike the sound is coming almost entirely from the left cylinder area. Lean to the left and you will hear it at exactly the revs you describe. Then lean over the right cylinder and you will not.

I am convinced this IS the CC tensioner and I am about to send my GSA back to Williams for another attempt.

Regards

Not sure - it's really hard to pin-point the sound, as it's not very loud, but I don't remember being able to tie it down to one side or t'other. It could 'almost' be the tools in the toolbox rattling at that particular revrange. Weird. I'll have another, proper investigation with my halfface hat on and report back.....

Big Lad said:
There's a thread on ADVRIDER about the tensioner. Loads of them have replaced them with a new design and they say it really makes a difference to the engine noise. Is it needed ?. Steptoe ?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82209

Never fitted the new type = ages since fitted ANY new tensioners !

It's just a noise, and not that loud anyway, compared to the other assorted normal noises that a GS makes - :D

The cam-chain tensioner noise is a real rattle (hammer head in cocoa tin), and I was annoyed by it until I went to Cloghane and Off-roasd course and all I heard was ditto from the other 1150s. I ordered parts according to the part numbers etc. etc and the parts that came look identical to the photos of the existing - so they are staying in a biscuit tin on the shelf until further notice.
I get the impression that Sgt. Pluck has a different issue, but yomv (your opininion may vary)!!

Steptoe said:
It's just a noise...
What??!!! I can't hear you!

Seriously, this is the new left cam chain tensioner. It is fairly cheap too, compared to the previous enhanced version, 11 31 2 325 563.
GS1200tensioner.jpg

Last time I looked into it, new design of tensioner has been discontinued by BMW because it was causing early camchain failure.

Sorted mine by changing to 20-50 oil. much quieter now. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom