GARMIN QUEST MOUNTS

Deleted Member Mtn

Need some advice on the best (and available ) handlebar mount for the Garmin Quest
am about to buyone..but after reading about bills fiasco...not sure which way to go
also...and this is probably a very girlie question....does the SPIII power cable fit it...or do i need something completely different....
i have the SPIII hard wired.....

judge said:
You have mail :thumb

Well that's no bleedin good is it??

How can we rip the piss out of what you've advised huh??

:rolleyes:

Now no-one knows what to say 'cos you've gone all secret squirell :D

Fanum said:
Well that's no bleedin good is it??

How can we rip the piss out of what you've advised huh??

:rolleyes:

Now no-one knows what to say 'cos you've gone all secret squirell :D

No point posting it you'll aways disagree and I want to spoil your fun :dabone

For everyone else's benefit no the SPIII power cable cannot be used to power the Quest

judge said:
No point posting it you'll aways disagree and I want to spoil your fun :dabone

For everyone else's benefit no the SPIII power cable cannot be used to power the Quest

in that case..the buyer gets a free gift (when i get it off the bike....)

the TT mount i got!!!! road tested at around 70 mph....and it stayed on the bike fine.

unlike me :)

01-065-0090-0_I_01.JPG

GAry..that's identical to mine apart from the added key bit that you paid 345 quid for :rolleyes:

Try doing another ten k miles on it and see what happens......particularly if you offroad it....

When riding along now without the Quest in it, I can see the bolts revolving in their holes (the nuts won't drop off 'cos they're nylocks) but the flap is flappy and loose......total rubbish!!

I'm going to take my drill to it tommorrow and stick a hole in the tab, then put a spring from that to somewhere down the back of the bracket assembly to make it auto-shut.

Seriously though, watch out, it'll loosen up and you'll lose your GPS

:spitfire :mad:

i don't think it can go loose...the lock stops the movement of the cantilever bit i'm off to take a couple of pics...

i wouldn't trust the mount not locked...tooo easy to flick the retaining lever :)

locked with quest
mountlockedwithquest.jpg

open with quest
mountopenwithquest.jpg

mount locked
mountlocked.jpg

locked from the back..the cam of the lock stops the mount opening
mountfrombacklocked.jpg

another from the back still locked
mountfromback2.jpg

and unlocked from the back
mountfrombackopen.jpg

i can't see how this could work loose......i hope

That's a fair bit of metal. I used the clip on Garmin mount, unpowered, when I first bought my Quest but upgraded to a Garmin powered mount for the trip to Garmisch. The powered mount has a locking device on the side which locates pins into the Quest to hold it in place. I back that up by looping a simple rubber band around the mounted unit which is strong enough to hold everything in place but small enough to not obstruct the screen or buttons.

Works for me :thumb

IS that spring original???

Mine hasn't got one and that's exactly what i was going to put on it to keep it closed.
Anyone got the non-locking version WITH the spring or is it only the locking one that has it?

:confused:

Bill - do you need a GA15 to go onto your existing RAM parts ?.

Matron, The 'main' cradle choices as Judge will know doubt mention is the Touratech with their own cable to power it. TT offers the RAM-B-149Z mount to attach onto tubular handle bars.

The Garmin bike mount (010-10610-00) is really a holder, cable and bracket which covers their DIN style conector and act as a four leg pillar to attach onto a RAM round base. A mount kit for this is RAM-B-149Z-Q1 or RAM-B-149ZA-Q1 (latter has a short arm).

RAM has the RAM-HOL-GA15 and has add QPAC to it with the RAM-B-149Z. The RAM cradle sandwiches QPAC in the mount, which has 3 versions, at the moment.

A read thru the forum on the subject may help.

RAM-man

:)

I use the RAM GA15 mount. Works well for me. Easy to get on and off the bike and I can swap it my mountain bike. Seems to hold the unit very securely and is in fact supplied in the package if you buy from GPSW.

The power lead is separate but is a RAM fitting as well.

HTH

Cheers

Dick

RAM-man said:
Bill - do you need a GA15 to go onto your existing RAM parts ?.

Matron, The 'main' cradle choices as Judge will know doubt mention is the Touratech with their own cable to power it. TT offers the RAM-B-149Z mount to attach onto tubular handle bars.

The Garmin bike mount (010-10610-00) is really a holder, cable and bracket which covers their DIN style conector and act as a four leg pillar to attach onto a RAM round base. A mount kit for this is RAM-B-149Z-Q1 or RAM-B-149ZA-Q1 (latter has a short arm).

RAM has the RAM-HOL-GA15 and has add QPAC to it with the RAM-B-149Z. The RAM cradle sandwiches QPAC in the mount, which has 3 versions, at the moment.

A read thru the forum on the subject may help.

RAM-man

:)

That's about it though I do mention all four flavours of Touratech cradle (normal, lockable, anti-vibe, anti-vibe lockable), and all items of mounting and powering with relevant part numbers , prices (as at July 2005), and the new version in production includes details of the QPAC. What I don't give is opinion on what is best, that's what the workshops are for, people see and play and decide for themselves :thumb

Spring

Fanum said:
IS that spring original???

Mine hasn't got one and that's exactly what i was going to put on it to keep it closed.
Anyone got the non-locking version WITH the spring or is it only the locking one that has it?

:confused:

Hi Fanum

the spring is original - mine has one and isn't the lockable type. I've found the bracket fastens positively and haven't had any concerns about it coming open in use. After reading a thread elsewhere about someone losing there Quest from TT bracket I try and keep checking to make sure its not moving - doesn't seem to at all.
Sherpa ;)

Hi Andy (I assume you are holed up in Crayfish Valley today) .

.. and the new version in production includes details of the QPAC...
Following my recent post on more QPAC options, I can see benefits of using QPAC02-xx with QPAC02-extn. QPAC04-xx is still an option with a bendy plug for 1200GS, though QPAC01-xx leads the field so far.

RAM-man

:cool:

have bought garmin quest
ram arm
touratech lockable mount

don't ask me what the item no's are...
that nice dave chappie from ultimate ear has sorted it for me....

Matron said:
Need some advice on the best (and available ) handlebar mount for the Garmin Quest
am about to buyone..but after reading about bills fiasco...not sure which way to go
also...and this is probably a very girlie question....does the SPIII power cable fit it...or do i need something completely different....
i have the SPIII hard wired.....

I cant tell you which is the best because I've not tried them all. But I have recently bought the Quest package from GPS wharehouse including the RAM cradle and mount, and have been quite satisfied with it. At idle with a cold engine, the mount vibrates a little in sync with the bike, but otherwise it is steady. The mount is secure - anything that caused the quest to drop out of the cradle would prob cause me to drop off the saddle, in which case I'm not worried about the quest. Its easy to positon for good vis. All in all, its simple and it works. So I would buy the same again.

Not yet sure I could say the same about the quest itself, which is irritatibgly re-booting itself in bursts, and giving some (occasional) wrong directions. Mind you, when this female quest voice gives a silly direction you can at least enjoy a robust reply - more than you dare do if you go back to SWMBO doing the map reading.

birdseye said:
Not yet sure I could say the same about the quest itself, which is irritatibgly re-booting itself in bursts, and giving some (occasional) wrong directions.

yes ..it was a quest that took me 'green laning' in lands end in april....causing me to eat mud big time......but i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt

bought a touratech cradle with ram mount for the quest...should be with me tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom