GS faults(IMHO)

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I currently ride a VFR 800 and am possibly looking to change it later this year. I am looking for something that will do everything it will do. I test rode the 1150GS yesterday as this was one of the bikes that seemed up to matching if not beating the VFR.
On the whole I must admit it is an excellent ride and considering the weather conditions inspired confidence. There were however a few points which I didn’t like & wondered if anyone else had found the same problems.

1. My wife who was on the back was drenched from her neck down due to water being thrown from the rear wheel. The guys at SPC said a topbox would prevent this, however I don’t want a topbox. Does a hugger help?

2. There was a lot of wind noise & buffeting at 70MPH +, which I could not live with on a long trip. Do the after market screens make that much difference.

3. I found the weight & size a bit of a problem when pushing it around, although it is far easier to get on the centre stand than the VFR. Is it something that becomes easier once you become accustomed to it?

Cheers for reading, I await the ribbing about being a VFR rider & any responses to any points I have made.
Baz

Baz

Get the GS, you'll never regret it.

The first two problems you mention can be overcome with aftermarket accessories from a variety of manufacturers/suppliers. A search of the GS Mods and/or Equipment and Toys threads will give you everything you need to know. Moving the bike around soon becomes easy, and if you do drop it it's also surprisingly easy to pick up, despite the intimidating size and weight.

Mick

I looked at the VFR twice when changing bikes, in 1997 and when the V V Ti 800 came out but the 1150GS is a much better option for many reasons. Sharnt soapbox it but I got off a ZX9 and have had a few problems with buffeting, it can be cured but then I have got used to it in the main.

I fitted a hugger, (don't bother buy a screen) makes no difference to shite flying up an over the pillion/rear of the bike in fact it just spreads it about a bit.
A number plate extender should cure it, you can make your own or buy one.

The weight and size you should get used to and the bike is fairly well ballanced, not all of the owners are 6' plus or big and they chuck em about no problem.

also consider the residual values (stick 20k on another bike & check the values), longevity, reliability not to mention accessory city !!!

The main difference being you can pack it up and go anywhere knowing you will get there and back having a great time doing it.

bazvfr800 said:

1. My wife who was on the back was drenched from her neck down due to water being thrown from the rear wheel. The guys at SPC said a topbox would prevent this, however I don’t want a topbox. Does a hugger help?

Like Den said, opinion is divided on the effectiveness of a hugger. Touratech (you can find them here) do a rear mudguard extender which is very effective, although it's easy enough to make your own....

2. There was a lot of wind noise & buffeting at 70MPH +, which I could not live with on a long trip. Do the after market screens make that much difference.

Impossible to recommend a particular screen. What works for me may not work for you. Perhaps the best thing to do is turn up at a meet and ask nicely if someone is willing to let you try out their after-market screen on your bike. You can get recommendations from a 'barn door' style Aeroflow to removal of the screen altogether.

3. I found the weight & size a bit of a problem when pushing it around, although it is far easier to get on the centre stand than the VFR. Is it something that becomes easier once you become accustomed to it?

More an attitude problem IMHO:D. If you let the size of the big pig intimidate you, you'll find it difficult. Personally I find sports bikes more difficult to push about due to the lack of leverage on the handlebars. Definitely something you get used to.

Welcome to the site Baz. If you'd taken a longer test, you would've undoubtedly come up with :

4. The lights are sh1te :D

If you put a search with each of the keywords in turn, you'll find enough information here to keep you amused for hours....

MikeO

Firstly, the GS hasn't got any faults :smokeboun

My wife who was on the back was drenched from her neck down due to water being thrown from the rear wheel. The guys at SPC said a topbox would prevent this, however I don’t want a topbox. Does a hugger help?
Bet they'd be happy to sell you a topbox too - hideously ugly things with no place on any bike other than a Pizza Magic C90.
I've not got a hugger but I would imagine it wouldn't extend far enough around the wheel to prevent spray reaching the pillion. Some sort of mudguard extending down from under the numberplate might be effective and cheap.

. There was a lot of wind noise & buffeting at 70MPH +, which I could not live with on a long trip. Do the after market screens make that much difference.
BIG subject. A lot depends on your physical dimensions and tolerance to noise. If you remove the screen entirely the noise will vanish.
Wear earplugs [which you should be doing anyway] and don't become fixated by it.

I found the weight & size a bit of a problem when pushing it around, although it is far easier to get on the centre stand than the VFR. Is it something that becomes easier once you become accustomed to it?
Size wise the VFR is a bit of a toy when compared to the GS.
I've had big bikes for along time as well as being what's commonly called strapping [I prefer the term hunky, anyway] so I can only surmise that yes it should get easier as time goes on. Might be a good idea to invest in a set O' crash bars rather than a topbox though.

By the sounds of it you enjoy two-up touring. I think you'll find the GS much more suitable for this sorta thing.

If the above three points are the only faults you can find then congratulations, you've found your perfect bike.

vfr=gs

hi mate,i was thinking of changing to a vfr vtec,then the moment of madness past,vfr are good bikes but better fun on a gs.get the mra vario scren which makes a big differece to buffeting as for the muck soakiing your pillion i find odd.i took the mrs out on mine and was raining and no road muck soaked her.all the best with your decision anyhow.

Can't really comment on the Hugger bit as I've never carried a pillion (on any bike I've ever owned!!) but I agree with the others - I can't see it would help a great deal as they are not long enough.

The weight of the bike is not an issue once you get used to it. Yesterday I was chucking it about all over the place (even whilst it was raining)

The big thing for me was the NOISE. Buffeting is not really an issue as you can get round it with many different after market screens i.e MRA / Vario etc. However, the noise IS a problem UNTIL you admit to yourself that there is basically bugger all you can do about it other than get a good pair of earplugs which are essential - see the recommendations on this site.

After finally realising that the noise is here to stay, I finally began to enjoy the GS rather than constantly trying to eliminate the noise. I personally think that it's a "mind" thing. Get over it and you soon start to appreciate what a fantastic piece of kit is sitting in between your legs!!

I considered a VFR (long and hard) they are bloody good machines but lets be honest they do lack a certain amount of "personality"

IMHO the main problem will be that you can't stay away from this f*****g site for more than 5 minutes!!!

I'll add my ten-pen'orth but most has been said.

[1] The spray from the back tyre can be virtually eliminated by removing the standard apology for a mudguard (the crap-flap thing at the back) - the bolt holes can be covered by a rather natty alloy cover available for the Adventure - and by extending the number plate holder. As has already been said, various manufacturers make one, notably Touratech, and at £15 it's a small price to pay for keeping the crud off your missus and more importantly your bike. (Picture below)

[2] It's best to ride with the original screen in various positions and ascertain what the problem is. Once you're sure what's creating the excess noise and turbulence you can find the best cure. Aftermarket screens start at £100 but are much more effective than the standard jobbie. This is the most talked about subject when it comes to the few inadequacies of the standard bike. However, if you ride a lot at night, then the crap headlight will quickly become your favourite gripe. But, despite these shortcomings and the fact that the seat doesn't suit some people, the GS is still a fantastic bike and knocks spots off the VFR up to about 110mph (I've owned a VFR750 and an 800i and love Hondas, but my GS is better).

[3] The weight isn't really an issue with the GS as it's well low down. You think it's heavier because the bike is so much taller and you can't lean forward into it when you're pushing it around. But, you get used to it and once in the saddle slow speed riding is a doddle and much easier than on a VFR.

Attachments

• mud flap.jpg
    mud flap.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 483
3 POINTS FROM SOMEONE THAT KNOWS

1. THERE GERMAN
2. THERE UGLY
3. AND MOST OWNERS ARE WIERDOS

P.S Oh and most of them have pasted their I.A.M TESTS and still can`t ride to save thier lives.

Re: 3 POINTS FROM SOMEONE THAT KNOWS

BAKERMAN said:

P.S Oh and most of them have pasted their I.A.M TESTS and still can`t ride to save thier lives.

He's right. Mine's pasted to the wall in the kitchen. Just above the fridge.

MikeO:(

Thanks for replies

I'd like to thank all of you who took the time out to reply to my thread.
It seems that the only problem I may have trouble with is the wind noise, the other points seem quite simple fixes.
As I am still impressed with the GS I will try it again some time, but this time play around with the screen settings. It is the noise more than anything which is giving me doubts. I am slightly deaf due to my job, so dont want to make the problem worse. I do use expensive custom earplugs everytime I ride, but still found the noise excessive.
Once again thanks all
Baz

Baz......I`m puzzled by the noise complaint. I`m 6` 2" and I have the screen fully up/forward and I rarely get buffeted by wind which may expalin why noise is`nt a factor on my 1150. I have a hooligan race can fitted and the noise is brilliant but not excessive (to me) and with my plugs in the wind/can noise is hardly noticable.

Life for me was "so many bikes...not enough time" but I cant see me changing the GS in the forseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom