Two Tone Horn any good?

top piece of kit, not cheap, but it saved my life and that's worth a lot to me. Should be fitted as oe.

Yes and there the nuts... great upgrade that raelly does make a diffrence to saftey...you'll need to practice your horn trigger finger to get the best from them!

mpriestley said:
top piece of kit, not cheap, but it saved my life and that's worth a lot to me. Should be fitted as oe.

Whats' it like to fit, Mark? I'm a DIY cretin

Well, I'm getting one!
Just gone & tried the OE one on my GS - it really is pathetic!

Once fitted they highlight how 'weak' original horns were !

Before spending that (not inconsiderable) sum, consider the alternative. I fitted a pair of Fiamm twin-tone horns (£15ish from Halfords) under the beak, wired then in (leaving the original horn in place) and they have been there, doing their job extremely efficiently, for 10 months and 20k miles with no problems at all. They don't show unless you bend down and look for them, and are very effective!

MikeO:)

Attachments

• dscf0018x.jpg
    dscf0018x.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 583
notadrop said:
OH YES! Retroman - they are really good!

Thanks for the input. I'm going have to get this sorted. Can't have a bike that looks like Arnie yet sqeaks like John Inman.

retroman said:
Whats' it like to fit, Mark? I'm a DIY cretin

it is v simple and straightforward, undo one bolt to remove the oe item, use the same fixing to fit the new item. Cut the two wires off the oe and join them to the handy tags on the new one. If you can manage the zip on your jacket you will be ok fitting this. They are louder than the Halfords Fiamms, but they are three times the price, you pays your money...........................

I had the Fiamms last year but changed out for the GSER horns for the following reasons :-
Fiamms horns only available in Red (when I bought them) and were conspicuous and made the bike look ugly (er !)
- probably not such an issue on the Adventure' with its' 'beak extender'

GSER horns use existing fixing point making them more discreet (hence photos not easily available !)

Wiring loom required for Fiamms - GSER loom was purpose made (shrink wrapped etc)

Fiamms exposed to elements - water can enter when fixed horizontally, facing forward.

Fiamms are 109 decibels - I upgraded to the 117 decibel screamers. (Not recommended for Grannies !)

When I fitted my Fiamms last year there was no advice from forum members that had fitted them (as far as I knew ?)
and it took several hours - including (supplied) bracket modification ( I am fully conversant with vehicle wiring !)

My decision was further influenced by comprehensive discussion from ADV last July :-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4838&highlight=horn+kit>

Raiku said:
Fiamms exposed to elements - water can enter when fixed horizontally, facing forward.

Fiamms are 109 decibels - I upgraded to the 117 decibel screamers. (Not recommended for Grannies !)

When I fitted my Fiamms last year there was no advice from forum members that had fitted them (as far as I knew ?)
and it took several hours - including (supplied) bracket modification ( I am fully conversant with vehicle wiring !)

Raiku,

I can only speak as I find:D Firstly, my Fiamms have been exposed to the elements for 20k miles- still look & work fine- no corrosion visible.

I'll take you're word for the fact that you needed more decibels - I guess you need to alert traffic in the next county....:p

As for fitting, I don't know what to say - I fitted mine, using the supplied brackets, and wiring into the original horn wire (bullet connectors & shrink wrap) in under 45 minutes....:confused:

Like someone said, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I'm sure (having read the reviews and rider reports) the kit you've fitted is excellent, I just can't see it being £45 better than mine:)

MikeO

beep beep

yes but Fiamms are mass produced by faceless drones in deplorable conditions wheras The Loud Horns are lovingly and individually hand built by a master craftsman...it says here....
the Fiamm money just goes back into the corporate system wheras The Loud Horn money goes directly to The Source.
Its the difference between Bakerman's Bread and the Tesco Value Baps.............no, really it is, isn't it..........?

Re: beep beep

mpriestley said:
yes but Fiamms are mass produced by faceless drones in deplorable conditions wheras The Loud Horns are lovingly and individually hand built by a master craftsman...it says here....
the Fiamm money just goes back into the corporate system wheras The Loud Horn money goes directly to The Source.
Its the difference between Bakerman's Bread and the Tesco Value Baps.............no, really it is, isn't it..........?

LOL:D

Mike O said:
Before spending that (not inconsiderable) sum, consider the alternative. I fitted a pair of Fiamm twin-tone horns (£15ish from Halfords) under the beak, wired then in (leaving the original horn in place) and they have been there, doing their job extremely efficiently, for 10 months and 20k miles with no problems at all. They don't show unless you bend down and look for them, and are very effective!

MikeO:)
So you are saying you had them on at Eynesford ? How can this be I would have noticed ? I guess I have proved your point ? Really did you have them on then ?

Malky said:
So you are saying you had them on at Eynesford ? How can this be I would have noticed ? I guess I have proved your point ? Really did you have them on then ?

Yes I did. And I want to know why you haven't ordered yours yet.....;)

MikeO:D

Twin tone horns...fitted tham late last year.

BRILLIANT.

Riding the country lanes early Sunday morning, the sleepy birds would ignore my squeak as I flew towards them. With the new horn fitted, all I have to do is avoid the flying bird crap.

They are that good.

Mike R

GSER for me

... thanx very much, decision made. Quality kit that works, thats all I ask:thumb :thumb

Back
Top Bottom