Gentle off road Sussex Downs, Sat 3 Sep

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
The weather forecast is for continued dry weather, hence this will be a relatively gentle offroading experience.

Meet at Brighton's Roedean Cafe from 1030, start at 1100.

The cafe is about 45 minutes from the M25/M23 interchange. Head south on the M23 which then becomes the A23. As you enter Brighton follow signs for the sea front, then turn left (east) along the A259 coast road. As you exit Brighton passing the marina on the right, the cafe is on the left on a separated dual carriageway stretch. streetmap

I will be riding the route before Saturday as a final check on conditions, however please note this is not a commercially organised trip, it's a group ride in which individual riders are responsible for their own actions and take part at their own risk.

Tim

Anyone from around hertsfordshire going? I'm thinking about it and will be coming down M1 starting J5 (A5) if anyone wants to meet.

Andy

Sorry Tim, I won't be able to make it as I explained last week but have a good ride. Hopefully I'll get to the next one.

Cheers

Dick

I ran most of the route last night after sunset--just as well I have auxilliary lighting. Given the weather conditions I reckon it's easy enough for total neophytes, so if you've not riden off road before why not come and have a go? In all cases there is an alternate road link if you feel you need it.

The first section from Saltdean to Telscombe is a grass/chalk track that's wide enough for a 4WD and can be riden either at the sides or down the middle. From Telscombe there's a single track asphalt road to Southease then another single track asphalt road crossing a plank bridge and the railway line before joining the A26.

The second section from Beddingham to Firle is grass/earth that narrows down in sections but is still novice-level. Just beware of a rabbit hole on the left towards the end. From there we can gain access to the Downs.

The third section from Firle to Alfriston is gravel/earth and most of it is about as easy as it ever gets. Halfway along is another access point for the Downs to get the view. There's then an optional grass track loop. The end of section three is slightly harder with tree roots across the track.

Section four at Milton Street is a short tricky technical uphill with lots of tree roots and it's suggested that novices go round this.

Section five (Robin Post Lane) has been recently maintained and is a mix of earth and crushed rock.

Section six from Jevington to Folkington is more like a footpath and is rutted in staqes, so harder than sections 1-3 or 5.

Section seven from Folkington to Wilmington is similar to section six.

If there's the interest we could also include Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters.

Tim

Sorry to say I'm going to have to call it off. I was running the final sections today and managed to properly bu**er up the gear change. It's stuck in second and the side stand can't go down.

If then weather continues to be good I'll reschedule for a fortnight's time.

Apologies.

Tim

Given the tentative speed Tim was seen doing on an off road section between Susa and Sestrierre a couple of months back, it most certainly will be a leisurely ride!!!! :D

I am very interested in giving these stretches ago. Me Brother (Russell) and I had a pop at a trail in Duncton north of Chichester last night (following the previous night's flash flooding!). It was very, very muddy but only managed to drop her twice with road tyres on! Decided it maybe better to try something a little more tame before I get me some knoblies.

When do you go? is it during the day, evening or weekends? If we arrange a date in advance then we can work things around. Is it cool to start from Brighton?

Thanks

Chris

My bike is off the road at the moment, if it's back in time I shall be doing Princetown this coming weekend (Sep 9-11).

Unfortunately the next weekend (Sep 17-18) I'm also away. If the weather holds I could organise something the following weekend, alternatively we could do a run in the evening.

Tim

Madmountainman said:
Given the tentative speed Tim was seen doing... it most certainly will be a leisurely ride!!!! :D
20050709T104038.jpg

Cheeky bugger. We did the Assietta the day before in thick fog at speeds up to 25 mph, so it was nice to cruise along in the sunshine the next day.

Were you one of the two other bikes with Noddy?

Tim

Like the standard generator obstacle!

Evenings would be preferable, let me know when the bike is back on the road. We could finish early one day from 15:00 onwards - wounders of flexitime and local government! - to make up for earlier darkness.

Back
Top Bottom