RUPPs and Byways A Question

Yellow Peril

Reaction score
Inspired by Clives epic journeys around the byways in his area, I to have started to explore my area. My question RUPPs, I assume that your GPS has them in its maps? Do they correspond with the Explorer maps? Or are there differences?

Also Clive your using the BMW navigator? Anyone know which of Garmin this unit comes from? :thumb

No GPS experience..............but not all BOATS and RUPPS are marked on OS maps, especially on the newest versions (these are the most incorrect but ironically should be the most up-to-date)
Earlier versions of same OS maps have much more info (worth scouting out in s/hand bookshops for early ones)
Only sure answer is the 'definitive ' map in the local highways dept archives

Only sure answer is the 'definitive ' map in the local highways dept archives

That always makes me think of the map of the galactic highway that the Vogons referred to in HHGTTG :D

The latest O.S maps, which should be the most up to date and therefore accurate maps are by no means the best. They tend now to not classify the right of way, probably for fear of getting it wrong. They tend now to be shown as ORPA (Other Route with Public Access).
As stated above, copy the definitive map.
Unclassified County Roads (UCR) from the Highways Department, and other rights of way (RUPP, BOAT etc) from the Rights of Way Office. Also check the current status of any footpaths or bridleways shown on your map, as these are sometimes upgraded to BOAT or otherwise changed since the map was published.
Take a pencil as pens or other permanent markers are generally not allowed, and allow plenty of time.

For the most up to date info for ROW in your area you should contact and join the "Trail Riders Fellowship".
A lot of the RUPPs are no longer legal due to a review being undertaken by all authorities. The document you need to see at the Highways department is the "List of Streets"(maintained at public expense). If it's on there it's legal to ride. However, it'll take you ages to check through it all. The TRF guys will have already done that years ago. Only £20/year.

I lived in North Devon for many years and did the RUPP's with a decently silenced XR400R. It's immaterial as to whether something is actually a RUPP or not. You'll always get someone giving you an earful, especially those folk with shorts (in December), plastic map holders and thick socks and hoity toities on horses. In any event when I got my 1100GS from James Sherwood I thought I'd give the said lanes the same treatment. Not good. Too heavy, no grip, and no fun. RUPP's in Devon definitely for pukka enduros. But don't worry about finding out whether a lane is a green or not, life's too short. Just do it. Apologise if someone gives you grief, don't frighten the horses and don't go out with than 4 bikes at at time.

The only valid source of what used to called boats is the county's definitive map. You need to arrange a visit, take some photocopies and take it from there.

The very bad news is that the government has just screwed the TRF and the maze of uncharted ancient lanes that could have had vehicular access legalised have now been taken off the negotiating table and we're left with only what is on the definitive map:-(

See http://www.trf.org.uk/news.php?OP=latest

Back
Top Bottom