GS green laning: where do I start?

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Once my back is better I fancy having a go at green laning; nothing hard core, but just a chance to ride the bike down tracks for the time being (never off-roaded before).

I live in Berks, but Wiltshire and Hampshire are just down the way too.

So what should I look for and where can I find it?

Websites, local council listings etc?
Cheers

Come down to Princetown and join us on the fords ride.....a tiny bit of off road and lots of fun....enough to wet your appetite ;)

(yeah yeah I know, it was deliberate see!!)

:)

Fanum said:
Come down to Princetown and join us on the fords ride.....a tiny bit of off road and lots of fun....enough to wet your appetite ;)

(yeah yeah I know, it was deliberate see!!)

When is this Princetown meet? Having said that my slipped disc (not the ABS variety) may kill that idea in its tracks, but if its far enough ahead, I may be better. God knowsI could do with a change of scene (No more sodding Artex)

This weekend coming.....

Take a look in the national events section for details :thumb

Warthog,

there's plenty of GS able lanes in Berks. Clive and I meet up fairly regularly for a mornings flurry of getting wet & muddy. Most of it is very easy stuff, that most people could cope with. Keep an eye on the S.East and Off Road Events sections to see when we're planning, the Ridgeway is a common one, nearly weekly.

:beerjug:

carcher2k said:
Warthog,

there's plenty of GS able lanes in Berks. Clive and I meet up fairly regularly for a mornings flurry of getting wet & muddy. Most of it is very easy stuff, that most people could cope with. Keep an eye on the S.East and Off Road Events sections to see when we're planning, the Ridgeway is a common one, nearly weekly.

:beerjug:

Here I am, seriously considering putting me and the bike at a risk of damage dirt and humiliation, and I'm invited along by your good self, Carcher. Unfortunately, the first thing I saw in your post was your Avatar :eek: . You lot are supposed to fill me with confidence, not dread! ;) . Honestly, some people...

Nonetheless, that sounds like a fab idea the only obstacle being my slipped disc, but come a months time or so once its sorted, I'd be grateful to tag along. I'll have a month to memorise the TRF code of conduct!

Be prepared for choice panicky expletives floating over the hills of Berkshire :eek: ...

You can always meet up with the riders for a chat before you take on a green lane. Carcher2K, Clive and anyboby else who turns up meet on the third Wednesday evening of the month, presently at the Lands End pub around 7.30pm in Woodley, Reading, not far from Maidenhead.

Search the South East forum section for directions and new posts. All welcome!!!

If you want to try some easy stuff on your own neforehand, go to Salisbury Plain and play around on the tank tracks spread all over there. They're open to the public unless a red flag is flying, and they're mostly easy, flat smooth gravel tracks. A good start and not far from any public roads should you come to grief.

WARNING!

What bike are you riding? If it's an 1100, or even an 1150 - you may well to consider fitting the Touratech Hard Part to the gearbox/subframe mounts. I didn't, and suffered the consequences here For the sake of an £80 kit and half an hour of spannering I could have saved myself a lot of grief.

Stick a post up when you want to try some gentle stuff and I'll see if I can tag along.

Hi,

Im new to the GS and have been fallowing this thread, I was wondering if anyone knows what the law is in scotland.?

allan

No RUPP's as far as I know, Dutchman, Schtum, and many others should be able to help.

Warthog,
I found a very gentle BOAT near Wokingham (I think!), not terribly long but quite interesting. I'll get the track off the GPS and let you know where it was. There was a loverlee ford in the middle too, but I chickened out 'cos I was on my own! :eek:

Cheers

-Simon

Warthog said:
Once my back is better I fancy having a go at green laning; nothing hard core, but just a chance to ride the bike down tracks for the time being (never off-roaded before).

I live in Berks, but Wiltshire and Hampshire are just down the way too.

So what should I look for and where can I find it?

Websites, local council listings etc?
Cheers

Warthog,

Had a look, it appears that the BOAT can be found off School Road, Wokingham. It crosses Mole road and continues to Julkes Road. The lane is wide and, at least where I was, well signposted. The nearest village is called Arbourfield Cross, it's on the A327. :thumb

Cheers

-Simon

I'm due to get a large needle firmly rammed between my...wait for it...vertebrae tonight, so hopefully my s@dding treacherous git of a spinal column will be sorted sometime before the London Olympics!

Meanwhile, this all looks very enticing, 'specially the BOAT slimie mentioned. Might have a go through the ford: depends how lucky I feel. Last time I crossed a ford was on a VFR 400!

Saw a note earlier about T'ratech "HardParts", but didn't find any for the R1150GS gearbox. Is there one or were these beefed up as apart of the 1100-1150 upgrade?

Warthog said:
I'm due to get a large needle firmly rammed between my...wait for it...vertebrae tonight, so hopefully my s@dding treacherous git of a spinal column will be sorted sometime before the London Olympics!

Meanwhile, this all looks very enticing, 'specially the BOAT slimie mentioned. Might have a go through the ford: depends how lucky I feel. Last time I crossed a ford was on a VFR 400!

Saw a note earlier about T'ratech "HardParts", but didn't find any for the R1150GS gearbox. Is there one or were these beefed up as apart of the 1100-1150 upgrade?

I think they do make one, and although the box was beefed up for the 1150 I'd still recommend it of you intend to do anything more than very gentle dirt tracking. I was lucky, Pukmeister fabricated a new mount for me and got it welded on but I could have been faced with buying another box.

Cheers, Muppet.

I'll look into it. One of the bonae (plural of bonus, honest...ok, maybe not, but it sounds funny and I'm easily pleased) of being off work,is that you have a lot of time to phone up parts stockists and give them your credit card details...very therapeutic....

Not Henry, his horny girly......

Well, I 've just got back from my very first off road experience. It's alright going up, but coming down was another matter altogether! :eek:
I slid in some mud and stayed upright, :bounce1 but finally dropped it trying to go downhill over a lot of loose rocks. Unfortunately I was a bit close to a grass bank and the bike landed on my leg :mooney .....nowt broken, but being such a big girls blouse I had to get Henry and Simon to get it off :) then made H ride it down.

Scariest day of my life! :eek: How you lot do that all the time I'll never know :bow

So with throbbing leg but me and bike still in one piece, I shall wait for slightly drier weather to do it again.

Feeling marginally pleased with myself over the bits I managed, :thumb but still very very scared!

Kirst xxx

Back
Top Bottom