Morocco Trip

de crowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Morocco next May June 2006, probably solo(paddy no friends) and i welcome any advice or tips. Are there are significant issues I should consider, for example fuel, weather conditions etc Planning to go to Mid Atlas Mountains, riding Y 1150GS. any suggested routes for ten days in morocco. have toured solo in us and europe and i am assuming that morocco has a reasonable infa strcuture of roads etc. even away from major population centres.Many thanks in advance.

de crowe said:
Planning a trip to Morocco next May June 2006, probably solo(paddy no friends) and i welcome any advice or tips.

Tip one, find at least one friend.

How often can yo pick up your GS alone and in the heat (assuming that it just "fell over" and you weren't riding at the time)?

Iain

I would suggest early May rather than mid/late June, though you should expect rain at any time in the north. Most major towns have modern petrol stations selling unleaded fuel. Asphalt roads are generally great, pistes can vary from incredibly easy to very difficult.

Some pics at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80408

Email me for route info -- tim.cullis at infar.co.uk

Tim

Unless you're built like Arnie and handy with it, I wouldn't ride through the Rif mountains on my own.

I agree with Tim, May is about as near to the summer as I'd go - it gets fecking hot! As a gauge, the World of BMW are going next week.

Try to sort Morocco motor insurance before to go - you must have a Green Card. You can buy insurance at the border, but I'd see that as a last resort.

There are pan-handlers everywhere, but I think that theft is pretty low. To assist you through the border, you'll probably have to give a 'bung' to a guide, but don't produce more cash than you intend to give them. I'd have thought that a 5 Euro note should be adequate.

You'll need to take your original ownership papers and driving licence. Don't go off-road on your own unless you're very well prepared. Don't go anywhere near the Algerian border.

Greg

Take a spare alternator belt and don't eat the street food ;)

Thanks to all for your help so far. Working on a buddy who is interested in going. I am due to change my tires on the gs. I won't put up too much mileage before the trip. What are the best tires I can fit for the mixed surfaces in Morocco? Thanks again.

Take a look at the GS tyre FAQ at http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32096

Tourances would be fine for both road and pistes--which tend to be hard stone or baked earth. We actually had knobblies (Conti TKC80) but the only time you would get any benefit from them would be in mud or sand and we didn't encounter either.

Tim

Morocco

...best tip - not go on your own - friend was there solo last year & it was not a good experience. Mind you he was riding a Blackbird. Has since bought an Africa Twin.

de crowe said:
Planning a trip to Morocco next May June 2006, probably solo(paddy no friends) and i welcome any advice or tips. Are there are significant issues I should consider, for example fuel, weather conditions etc Planning to go to Mid Atlas Mountains, riding Y 1150GS. any suggested routes for ten days in morocco. have toured solo in us and europe and i am assuming that morocco has a reasonable infa strcuture of roads etc. even away from major population centres.Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

Been there twice, once on ,my own. A great place despite the hassle of being sold things. Tourance or Michelin T66 (now replaced by something else) are fine. You can cover down to the Anti Atlas and back in 10 days without too much hassle. Coastal town of Sidi Ifni a peaceful haven.

Main roads good but some of the minor ones can be interesting. Nothing a GS cannot handle.

Wrote some articles on the trips if you contact me at peter.cullen@tiscali.co.uk I'll forward..

Have a great time.

Petcul

I wouldn't worry too much about going alone, it's mostly a matter of mindset. I was alone when I first went in 1972.

However... if you are alone I would suggest you avoid the Ketama area (in the Rif Mountains in the north) at least on the way down--it's a bit daunting and not the kindest intro to Morocco. If you do it on the way back you won't be so fazed.

Tim

de crowe said:

Could well be interested in a trip down there next year - let me know if you get definite plans.

I'm departing for Morocco Jan '06.. will be the 11th time. I was based in Gib for several years in the Navy. I'm not going to give you a load of advice, you'll work it all out for yourself and have a much better time in doing so.. All i will say is "Not alone", We used to buy £200 hacks (XT's, KLR's..) off the local kids over the border in Spain and spend our leave time in Morocco. But never less than 4 of us, Past the Rif Mountains (which is a baptism of fire) and you'll be fine. Find a truck driver at your port of entry I assume you'll be using Tangier, $10-$20 and he'll chaperone you through, You won't miss them, look out of fruit and veg! Over 150 8ton trucks cross the straights every day. Stick in amongst them.. Infact for 20 he'll lend you his daughter on the other side.. Carry dollars as a means of getting a better deal, Euros are fine, but are usless when trying to swop for a little local currency.

These are just my experiances, you'll have the time of yourlife. Remember one thing.. Kef or Hashish as we know it is rife you'll be offered it everywhere. Possession alone will leave you looking down the barrel of a 20 year stretch. Some will offer you it then shop you to the rozzers, just not worth it, I've seen it happen. Oh, and stay away from Morrocian held west sahara!

I can put you in touch with some lads in Gibraltar if you let me know the exact date of travel, they go over every few months or so for a couple of weeks.

Greg Masters said:
Unless you're built like Arnie and handy with it, I wouldn't ride through the Rif mountains on my own.
Greg

Oh comon Greg don't put the guy off just because we where chased by the local mob once.

I think the route up through the RIF and down to Fez is well worth doing and you you do get to see the wilder side of Morocco. Would I ride that route on my own?

In the dry yeah because I could keep my speed up! esspecially through that town!

On the other hand it was only because it was pissing down that the local hoods could not get out into the road quick enough.

Whats the worse that could happen?

I'm with the others on the timimg it'll get hot

The roads are good so only fit TKC's if you want to do a lot of offroad.

One of the best things we did was carry a can of fuel... Never used it but knowing it was there meant you always pushed on rather than worry about filling up with only 120 miles on the clock.

Have fun and ride the RIF

Back
Top Bottom