Meet Up With Dutch GSer

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

Being a diplomatic sort and keen to enhance German/Dutch relations and also looking for the slightest excuse to ride my bike :) , I met up with Sander, a Dutch GSer who is over here for a short trip. He posted a thread on here a few days ago. Sander had been camping up the west coast and had spent Wednesday at Killin so we arranged to meet yesterday (Thursday) in Crieff. This also gave me a great excuse to return to that fabulous bit of unclassified road between Amulree and Kenmore. :D

36165123-M.jpg

36166632-M.jpg

36168925-M.jpg

36168927-M.jpg

You can see how narrow the road is...

36168930-M.jpg

Sander was a bit worried on this part due to the weight he was lugging round the tight hairpin but no worries, he managed it...

36168932-M.jpg

36180730-M.jpg

The road really is worth a visit (are you listening Alte? :thumb )

36180732-M.jpg

36180733-M.jpg

After the fairly steep decline and several tight hairpins, we travelled on to Aberfeldy and Pitlochry. We then went over Moulin Moor and stopped for a photo call at Scotland's smallest distillery. Here is Sander at Edradour...

36180736-M.jpg

Our lunch stop was at the Log Cabin, Kirkmichael. The run over to here from Pitlochry was really good and I think Sander particularly enjoyed this part. This was his first visit here and he's still getting used to the "wrong side" riding...

36180738-M.jpg

36180741-M.jpg

We then headed into Blairgowrie and took the Perth road via Stanley. This is the Beech Hedges, just outside Blair at Meikleour

36180750-M.jpg

We rode back to Fife and had a coffee stop at Mein Haus before Sander headed off into the sunset. He's now off for a couple of days at St Boswell's and is doing the St Mary's loch road on Friday. I've told him to drop into Miss Ellie's at some point...

It was good to meet Sander and I enjoyed the day out with him. :thumb

Ronno

Great shots

Excellent stuff Ronno, never been on that road before I'll have to do it now ... just found it on the map.
You obviously got great weather for the run. Espec like the shot with the big rock and the mountains in the background, the competition is hotting up round ere :eek:

Pics are really sharp also :thumb

Right where's me helmet I'm outta here
moped.gif

P.S. Re the lunch at the Edelweiss/Log Cabin. It was crap! Soup was good but half way through, the main course was put in front of us. The scampi and chips (puke) was getting "cool" by the time I started on it. I then discovered that I'd no fork and knife or salt. I located the bar assistant who was on the phone and she, in turn shouted on someone else to fetch them. It wasn't cheap either. I suspect that they maybe only have a chef at the weekends as these were all just "bar snacks". I certainly won't be rushing back.... :spitfire

..wish I'd rememebered about The Bridge of Cally Hotel a few miles further on. Now THAT is a place for excellent bar lunches :thumb

Ronno
(I hope the kitchen at the Log Cabin get's sorted out before Pragmatix' Xmas Do) :rolleyes:

Good report and pics Ronno, I expect Sander found some of those hairpins in Glen Quaich a bit dodgy with all that luggage?

Robbo7822 said:
Good report and pics Ronno, I expect Sander found some of those hairpins in Glen Quaich a bit dodgy with all that luggage?

Robbo,

I think that he did. He seemed to enjoy it but maybe not as much as I did :cool:

Ronno

food

hi ronno how you doing and the missus of course nice piccys,did sanders have a girl with him(we had a german couple in this morning just wondering)sorry to hear the food was crap (miss ellies is okay) bit advertising on my behalf u might wait a bit time at ours but its always nice and hot otherwise the chef gets it will meet up with you all again shortly i hope cheers for now :clap

Hi Ronno

Nice Pic's mate you certainly get out and about bet the Dutch guy can't wait to get back again or had he had enough.

Regd's K

cutmorej said:
hi ronno how you doing and the missus of course nice piccys,did sanders have a girl with him(we had a german couple in this morning just wondering)sorry to hear the food was crap (miss ellies is okay) bit advertising on my behalf u might wait a bit time at ours but its always nice and hot otherwise the chef gets it will meet up with you all again shortly i hope cheers for now :clap

Hi John,
Sorry that I missed this post until now. Sander was on his own but was meeting an English girl to hook up with for a wedding that he was going to on Saturday in St Boswell's. It might have been them that were in...mind you he's Dutch but they all sound the same to you Geordies! :D

Hope to see you in 3 weeks (roughly!)

Ronno

Nice one Ronno. Great pics too. :thumb

i was up at Edradour a few months ago during a holiday. fantastic place and very good tour. Place is run by 3 blokes ffs !!

On the last third of two of their finest malts. :bounce1

They do mail order so i recon I'll be getting some more

Edradour distillery

dutchy says thank you!

Hi Ronnie (& others)
A big THANKS Ronnie :thumb It was a great ride, thanks mate!

I put a selection of my photo's on-line:
www.xs4all.nl/~sdol/Schotland

i got only one day of heavy rain, even isle of Skye was sort of dry on the day i was there.

You guys have a great country, and yes, i will be back next year (probably not alone-see below...)

It was my first trip with this new bike and heavy luggage (crashed my 1150 2 months ago), so still getting used to it, especially hairpins ;) 1150 felt more solid and stable with heavy luggage to be honest...but had hyperpro progressive springs on it, which makes a big difference. and Touratech panniers, without heavy topcase. As for the BMW panniers: probably will get those TT panniers again, more robust and toploading is much more efficient.

came home with slipping clutch and a bit of oil leakeage. fixed under warranty...actually got my bike back from dealer yesterday: fixed clutch/bearing, head light switch, replaced rear wheel (finishing came off), did some software upgrades and other mods the previous owner hadn't done.
so mine's now better than new! dealer stated is was eur. 1500 repair costs :eek: -All under warranty, thank god...

As for the girl i met at the wedding: she is Dutch and works in Camebridge Hospital as a docter. it was the second time i met her in real live, and me being in schotland was a good excuse for meeting her again. She drove 470 kms friday night, had car problems, waited hours for AA, found out her hotel was closed. Arrived at 10 am saturday with only an hour sleep, and, this is the important bit: She still managed to be in good mood all day during the wedding and party! :clap :bounce1 ...that really impressed me!
(these are the ones you want to go to the other side of the world with...)

We can get along pretty well...:love and she almost has her motor driving licence, and loves BMW's too.... ergo..I will be in Camebridge next weekend :D (by plane though..)

Cheers,
Sander

Hello Sander, Good to hear from you and I'm glad that you had a good trip. I'm sorry to hear that you had bike problems though. I think I must have got the "bug" from you :D as I had trouble with my clutch yesterday. I enjoyed looking at your photos. Some nice pix there :thumb

Ronno

Back
Top Bottom