Micatech Pilot Luggage

chuckh

First production run article of our Pilot Luggage to be available on Feb 15.

We have undergone a number of prototype designs and have evolved to a fairly mature state. Our design is visually compeling, functional and incorporates fabrication techniques used in the aerospace industry.

These bags have the following attributes:

*** Constructed 5052 aluminum sheet metal
*** 6061 aluminum CNC components for the mount system
*** Stainless steel fasteners
*** 102 liter capacity
*** ~4 inches narrower then BMW system cases
*** Minimal external hardware to eliminate catch points
*** Integrated handles
*** Asymetric shape that is aerodynamic
*** Secure, Strong and Lightweight mount system
*** Quick mounting/dismounting
*** Secure Stainless Steel locks
*** LED rear turn signal replacement system included
*** Mounts for R1150GS, R1150GS Adventure, R1100GS

Coming:

*** Tailored liner bags
*** integrated rear rack
*** integrated top case
*** integrated back rest system
*** RT mount system
*** R mount system
*** F650GS mount system
*** Suzuki V-strom mount system
*** Low pipe version of left bag
*** no cutout version of left bag

---

Images to be available by next weekend of the luggage cases.

---

Contact Micatech via email (sales@micatech.net) for early purchase discount program for the first 15 buyers.

---

Patents Pending

Attachments

• pilot_01_sm.jpg
    pilot_01_sm.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 989
Interior view:

Attachments

• pilot_04_sm.jpg
    pilot_04_sm.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 958
F*** me, you can hatch ostrich eggs in them! :goof

Mike

cecilthecat said:
Or two red bowling balls !!!

That's what I thought!

Look closely at the reflection on those orbs.

Imagine that you can toss your helmets in and not carry them around while shopping for beer or Hard Pear Cider.
:p

Chuck,

Can I take it that the left case is cut out for the Can on the GS?

CC

:)

coolcarbon said:
Chuck,

Can I take it that the left case is cut out for the Can on the GS?

CC

:)

Hi CoolCarbon,

The first production run will be for the standard high mount, BMW exhaust with a cut-out. Bill and I have Remus Titanium and Staintune low-mount exhausts arriving Monday so we can design a low-pipe version.

In the future, we'll offer a no-pipe cut-out version also.

We have our first set scheduled for pick-up this coming Thursday so we can take ad-copy pictures for April national magazine distribution. When we get these pictures, I'll post images here and on our web-site.

All the Best,

Chuck

Image of an early version of our CNC milled 6061 aluminum frame attachments for our mount system, the production version has radiused corners:

Attachments

• pilot_bracket_01.jpg
    pilot_bracket_01.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 875
LED turn signal replacements with prototype carbon based brackets. :)

Attachments

• led turn signal 01.jpg
    led turn signal 01.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 856
Micatech Pilot luggage is getting closer to reality:

Pilot_2_01.sm.jpg

An early image of our CNC mount system. Final alignment changes have been incorporated in the design. All corners will be radiused in the final production.

The mount system is lightweight, strong, secure, beautifully finished and look, well, really awesome when the cases are off the bike. The mount system is a four point mount system.

Attachments

• pilot_mount_proto 050_sm.jpg
    pilot_mount_proto 050_sm.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 708
Yes, we have CAD design plans for the top case and rear rack system in progress.

I'll find an image that shows the rear CNC mount that will show the facility to have a mount point for our new Micatech rear rack.

This rear rack is mounted to the rear sub frame and not to the BMW cast aluminum rack. The Pilot top case will be a complimentary design to the side cases and include keyed-alike stainless steel locks.

Attachments

• pilot_mount_proto 016_sm.jpg
    pilot_mount_proto 016_sm.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 730
We purchased a Remus exhaust that mounts in the high-pipe position and a StainTune that mounts as a low-pipe for design and testing.

We are making sure that the mount system works for the R1150GS, R1150GS Adventure and R1100GS for the first production run.

We have plans for mount systems for R1150RT, R1150R, Airhead GS's, Suzuki V-Strom, ...

Whoa, what's this?

Our new Pilot luggage system is very close to production, here are a few pictures taken recently. Please note that the cases and mount system is designed for easy, no-tools required mounting and removal. The mount system is beautifully finished CNC 6061 T6 Billet and 304 Stainless steel. With the cases off the bike there is minimal hardware remaining on your GS:

ride_test_03_004_sm.jpg

ride_test_03_009_sm.jpg

ride_test_03_010_sm.jpg

ride_test_03_012_sm.jpg

ride_test_03_013_sm.jpg

ride_test_03_023_sm.jpg

Pilot luggage road test

Road Test Results.

Confirmed DOD nominal empirical testing of the engineering design of the mount system and case design of the new Micatech Pilot luggage system.

Just as Chuck Yeager had to be the first to test the sound barrier in "Glamorous Glennis" someone needed to verify the efficacy of all Pilot luggage sub-systems on the road, at various velocities.

:thumb

dod_nominal_01_sm.jpg

dod_nominal_02_sm.jpg

dod_nominal_03_sm.jpg

dod_nominal_04_sm.jpg

Not being too harsh but......

This looks just like an ad to me.............

Which means it would be nice to be a forum sponsor and help pay for this great site to keep running and reach all of your potential customers.............

Just a though.......... Vern does................

Re: Not being too harsh but......

Originally posted by londonw1
Which means it would be nice to be a forum sponsor and help pay for this great site to keep running and reach all of your potential customers.............
Just a though.......... Vern does................

Thanks for the prodding. It's done, just added a donation. :thumb

Thanks to Paul Grove and his moderators that keep this good place running so well!

All the Best,

Chuck

Chuck
A couple of questions....

The pics you show are of an Adv 1150 . I have an 1100. I need to retain access to the r/h side of the rear seat to be able to get the key in to lift the seat off and get to the tools. I'm not sure if this is the same on the Adv 1150. The cases appear joined together at the back under the number plate so does this mean to get to the under the seat you need to remove both cases together ? If so I am just thinking that when full of luggage this will be a struggle....

Gecko said:
Chuck
A couple of questions....

The pics you show are of an Adv 1150 . I have an 1100. I need to retain access to the r/h side of the rear seat to be able to get the key in to lift the seat off and get to the tools. I'm not sure if this is the same on the Adv 1150. The cases appear joined together at the back under the number plate so does this mean to get to the under the seat you need to remove both cases together ? If so I am just thinking that when full of luggage this will be a struggle....

Hi Gecko, sorry for taking so long to reply.

I have an 1100 also and we have confirmed that with the cases on you can get the key in the lock and remove front and rear seats and get to your tool tray without removing either case.

You can remove either left or right case independently of the other when you remove the optional 4th mount at the lower rear and no tools are required to remove the cases.

You access the mounts inside the case you want to remove by unlocking the security locks, and, after a few turns of the wing nuts then you can remove that case.

The R1150GS Adventure's key is on the right side in front of the passenger foot peg and is not an issue regarding access. The tool pouch is strapped to the underside of the Adventure seat.

Back
Top Bottom