FUNKY lights

ricardo kuhn

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm blind but I like lights.
and the stock ones don't really do much for me, here are some examples of different, experiments and projects, I done in the pass.

I hope I inspire somebody(this are not commercial ITEMS,at least not at the moment)

first;

the DISCO LIGHT
AKA articulated auxiliary light,maves with the stering about 40 degrees of coverage,the "azimut" is control by hand via a lever next to the bar ,,,,very usefull

are you LOOKING at me????
the "BIG EYE"is a modified beam cannon from a KTM adventure, I change the focal point to make it even tighter,(about 6 degrees) runs on a 110 PIAA h1 bulb.

16400-Medium.jpg

pointing up and away from you,just to be polite.

16401-Medium.jpg

is great if you need to call the girlfriend,on the second floor.

actually I develope this light, to become more visible around all the "stupid guys" with cell phones around ,were I live.

16402-Medium.jpg

this is how the information gets from the stering to the lights,very simple wire(bicycle wire at that.)

16403-Medium.jpg

this is me in the FLESH.
turn to the right
do you feel like dancing?

16406-Medium.jpg

the cannon ready to fire,almost 600 watts in your face.

16407-Medium.jpg

I need a "lift" turn to the left ,the light turns to the left

16408-Medium.jpg

That's an awesome looking bike Ricky. Looks like an urban assault vehicle, just needs some machine guns and you're away...

Those headlights don't look very standard either.. ;)

:D :D :D

Steve.

Scary looking stuff, Ricky! One point, though, I believe it's illegal to move a light whilst the vehicle is in motion in this country - can any of our current boys inblue confirm or deny that?

MikeO:)

Mike O said:
Scary looking stuff, Ricky! One point, though, I believe it's illegal to move a light whilst the vehicle is in motion in this country - can any of our current boys inblue confirm or deny that?

MikeO:)
Yeah I was wondering about that too.

Would it be the case that the light is fixed relative to the front wheel and forks. If so then I guess it could be said to be stationary to part of the bike. Lets face it this is standard on plenty bikes.
I like it very innovative.

What about linked wirelessly to the helmet of the rider !!

Err, Mike... I don't the guy in your picture has a headlight hooked up to his helmet:eek:

Mind you, it WOULD grab someones attention on the M25:mcgun

Malky said:
Yeah I was wondering about that too.

Would it be the case that the light is fixed relative to the front wheel and forks. If so then I guess it could be said to be stationary to part of the bike. Lets face it this is standard on plenty bikes.
I like it very innovative.

ANSWER; very good point,exelent answer too. the light is a fix to the steering the same way A light will be on a small dirt bike.attache to the forks, I found that the "poncharelos"AKA CHP(California Highway Patrol) give me certain dispensation,and I never have a problem(I have this lights for about 5 years)never a problem.

Question;What about linked wirelessly to the helmet of the rider !!

ANSWER:I did!!!!!!!
i connect a old helmet to a "reference plate"in the back of the bike,this project actually start in my head a few years ago when I was working in some military helicopters with "mecanical fly by wire .machine guns{wire activated}
I use a similar concept FOUR wires one on each corner about 12' apart,that let me move the light with my head, I know it was a experiment but I got tyred of the bulkiness and complexity,plus the biggest problem,,,imagine this scenario.....you see a SUPER Pretty Woman,you turn you head to watch at her,and her boyfriend comes and hit you in the balls.....

I have some trys (other experiments)with "gyroscops,progresive CAMS,and hydrolics,and I hope some day I can come up with something that can be produce, and sell..

this sistem is great, you have a really powerfull beam that follow (in front of you)your intensions,and you don't really botter other people.
another ADVANTAGE is you have the best of both sistems(small bike fork headlight slow spped efficiency,plus the light stering from the big bike with out anything attache to the forks.....)
the only problem is does not WORK(point the other way) at high speeds when you are"counter sttering" but the angle on the sttering is so small does not really matter.

If you are intersted GO AT IT....make you own,and then we compare notes......

I so happy when I get people exited:beerjug: :beer:

scurrell said:
That's an awesome looking bike Ricky. Looks like an urban assault vehicle, just needs some machine guns and you're away...

Those headlights don't look very standard either.. ;)

:D :D :D

Steve.

Is the other way,she is being "ASSAULT IT" way to many times, the POOR thing is a 186,000 milles old(did I mension that I like to ride)

the headlight is from a kawazaki ZX-7
from 96'',they work much better than the square light, notice the similarity to the double screen set up to the 1150 GS ,,,the only diffference is I did this in 96'.
I run the two of them on parallel(two low,two high beam.)
on high power bulbs(around here the drivers are really stupid and you need all the light that you can get to make them pay attencion,I "lane split''at about 70 MpH all F#@@ DAY,you need them.....
this is a totally custom DREMMEL job,and will be imposible to duplicate...

"Take me to your Leader"

This is a light that I made for my KTM,similar concept 3 "dicroik"bulbs on each side with different angles and wattages. some low beam some high beam,and I can run all of them at full power if If I want to.

I also have to really narrow(6 degrees) high power(8 0watt,each)but I can only use them at high RPMs.

the problem here was a different one,the KTM does not have much power to run many lights,so you better make them very efficient.

looks kind of COOL don't you think???????

ohhhhh,I almost forgot,,,,,,,,the best part of course the turn with the handlebars,and move up and down via a lever at the bars

Attachments

• p1010108[1].jpg
    p1010108[1].jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 683
Jesus Ricky, That is something else, I think mike's right we can't have moving lights in the UK, but bear in mind where Rick lives there are a lot of deer and lights that move will give you a good chance of spoting them on a bendy road.

and NOW this is for the big lights

you can use this sistem on any of the big AUX lights,piaa's ,hella's warrens's you name it..........

this is me and my friend vince's side car
35958-Medium.jpg

view of the two lights plus "special" mount for the R100g/s the braket was design for the r11GS

35959-Medium.jpg

detail of the construction,notice the rotational capabilities.

35961-Medium.jpg

REAL 3 axis adjustment.....

35960-Medium.jpg

the IDEA is to have different adaptors for each different light,making the sistem onto a modular ,upgradable, if not a interchangable set up.

35962-Medium.jpg

the finish product ,,,,so F$#@ clean...

35963-Medium.jpg

some day this one will be in production,at least the concept,will be aply to a more modern and specific design for each bike..
for now lack of $$$$$$$$ is the main problem the designs are readdy,but I'm not showing them,,,just in case

NOTE: all this is on a "PAT PEND"status,,so be carefull,with the copys..

Regarding the legallity of a headlight moving, the headlight moves if it is handlebar mounted and will turn right/left with the bars. Citroen also brought out the DS years ago with lights which turned with the steering input. This is exactly how Ricky has designed his system isn't it - turn the bars & move the lights the same direction.

Just thinking out loud...

Great ideas Ricky. Keep them coming.

Moving lights

I think that moving lights are legal - if they are only moving in the direction of the steering.

You may recall that there was a Citroen model some years ago where I think the high beams moved with the steering.

I would think that Rics system would be legal

I think will be "homologated"

as a light on a small motorbike,that is attache to the forks,,in every practical sence is the same,,,eccept is way more fun, you have the avility to move them UP &DOWN at will.and then you sttering is not "heavy" because you do have the momentum from the light on the forks....

here is not even a issue.and I'm still a few thousend dollars away from having a sellable item....

now if you want some fancy handlebars :) that is another story.
I assure you the same level(actually way more work) when into the development of the pro-taper kit.

I am sitting here reading the Spring edition of BMW magazine and it seems that BMW have just developed a system for their cars that moves the lights "As you turn the wheel into the bend,the headlamp beam flattens,tilts and swivels to illuminate the road around the bend. They call this the BMW Adaptive light control system.
It looks as if they are going to intergrate it to work with GPS as well !!

THAT WILL BE GREAT !!!!!!!

cecilthecat said:
I am sitting here reading the Spring edition of BMW magazine and it seems that BMW have just developed a system for their cars that moves the lights "As you turn the wheel into the bend,the headlamp beam flattens,tilts and swivels to illuminate the road around the bend. They call this the BMW Adaptive light control system.
It looks as if they are going to intergrate it to work with GPS as well !!

Great for THEM,,,,I'm sure will be awesome.!!!!!!!!!

My sistem is very primitive but even then makes a masive diference, I can not imagine how great will be with a well develop set up.
I experiment olso with "flexible GELS"from the theater lighting industry,to have a variable lense,like a "slastic"menbrane, but I don't have the knowloage and for sure not the means to pursue it.
I olso did some work ussing giroscopes,to keep the light were I want them,but again, no suffient "horse power" to get it done.

hopefully somebody will pick up were i left of,for the benefit of the community..
actually I did develop a mecanical sistem ussing "CAMS" for a integrated(seal)light bar, but is just to complex and expensive to produce,so I don't think is going to happend

Actually "cecil "do you have the link for the BMW article ???????

Well cool.......

.......VERY CLEVER Ric!
Have to say that is very inventive/clever/ground breaking........YO DE MAN Ricardo, I want THESE!!:cool:

Re: Well cool.......

notadrop said:
.......VERY CLEVER Ric!
Have to say that is very inventive/clever/ground breaking........YO DE MAN Ricardo, I want THESE!!:cool:

Some DAY..some day.....is to much research to do,to just do it fast and dirty.

Actually FAST and DIRTY is the easy way,do in it in budget and in time is the difficult part

Back
Top Bottom