Sierra Nevada's

Mikey

well just a little twisted
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just come back from a trekking/climbing holiday in this area and found it looks to be an ideal place to take a GS.

I'm now planning to take the bike down next year for a few weeks. I know somebody off the site (Riverking?) has been there and I just wondered what it was like for biker friendly hotels or even camping.

Going again in the morning for another look ;) , let you know next week :thumb

riverking said:
Going again in the morning for another look ;) , let you know next week :thumb
Try this road from Almuñécar and Granada:

(click thumbnail)

It starts at sea-level and rises through the most spectacular scenery to over 8,000 feet.

Greg

Despite over 20 yrs in the RN I've never been to Spain, that is if Gibraltar doesn't count (it doesn't but don't tell the Spanish).

So here's me planning a solo trip next year (summer 1/2 term week courtesy of my new job) maybe to the Picos. Now the Sierra Nevada's come up as an idea.

Can both be done in a week? I'll be riding from 'up North like' and may go to Santander from Plymouth but it's 'step zero' in the planning stage at the moment.

Any ideas, recommendations, mapsource files etc gratefully received. I like bends, mountains, coast, sun, quiet, food, drink, peace, scenery, and, err, did I mention bends :thumb

Peter

Wraithwrider said:
Despite over 20 yrs in the RN I've never been to Spain, that is if Gibraltar doesn't count (it doesn't but don't tell the Spanish).

So here's me planning a solo trip next year (summer 1/2 term week courtesy of my new job) maybe to the Picos. Now the Sierra Nevada's come up as an idea.

Can both be done in a week? I'll be riding from 'up North like' and may go to Santander from Plymouth but it's 'step zero' in the planning stage at the moment.

Any ideas, recommendations, mapsource files etc gratefully received. I like bends, mountains, coast, sun, quiet, food, drink, peace, scenery, and, err, did I mention bends :thumb

Peter

Plenty of bends in the Sierra Nevadas, very quiet, very scenic, food was good, drink was good especially the Rioja.. They're down in Andalucia in the south of the country. The nearest airport is Malaga to give you some idea of where.

Did I mention the bends?

Ryanair now do daily flights to Granada, 20 minutes drive to the Sierras and £4.99 if you time it right ;) (sorry Mikey).

Wraithwrider said:

They could both be done in a week, but ViaMichelin.com says it's 882 kms from Potes (in the Picos) to Orgiva (in the Alpujarras valley, at the base of the Sierra Nevada). And most of that distance is crossing the meseta (the boring, featureless high plains). It would be not dissimilar to wanting to ride the Cairngorms and Dartmoor: possible, but pointless.

I've just come back from the Picos (spent 10 days camping there), and we felt we had only just scratched the surface. If I only had a week, I'd spend it riding around the Picos de Europa and other bits of the Cordillera Cantabrica.

Pics here:
http://roosanddave.smugmug.com/gallery/873923/9/39497821

PS: There are bends in the Picos too:

39502232-S.jpg

riverking said:
Ryanair now do daily flights to Granada, 20 minutes drive to the Sierras and £4.99 if you time it right ;) (sorry Mikey).

Does the GS have to have a seat or go in the hold? :D

Peter for a week trip I'd say you could only to Sierra Nevada by flying and hiring on arrival. You have to rememer you've got a long day's ride to/from Plymouth and 18/24 hours on the ferry each way, in a half term week you could just squeeze in a four night stay in the Picos or 5 if you fly/hire in Sierra Nevada.

Wraithwrider said:

Peter
Peter,

You'll never get there in a week (too many distractions in between) and you don't need to.

I don't know if this is strictly accurate but I was told that Spain is the second most mountainous country in Europe, certainly I've never travelled for a day without encountering one or another range!

If the Picos aren't enough, turn West and you have the Montes De Leon (Northwest of Leon) includes the Sierra De Jistredo, Sierra De Ancares and the Sierra Del Caurel or head Southeast of Burgos to the Sierra De La Manda and Sierra De Urbion part of the Cordillera Iberico.

Attachments

• Pic 14 &16 04 05 99.jpg
    Pic 14 &16 04 05 99.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 149
I'm getting all lustful just reading your replies, wanderlust that is.

Many thanks. Yes I can see that the Sierra Nevada's would be a hill too far, this time around anyway.

I may be able to work Thursday instead of Friday and Tuesday instead of Monday and so extend my week but it's all tied into ferry timings and whether I do my motoring to Plymouth and go to Santander or choose to go somewhere closer to home and ride further in Northern Europe.

A bit of planning needed then. Something to look forward to next year.

Again thanks for the inspirations and reflections.

Peter

Wife?????????????

riverking said:
Much simpler if the wife rides the bike down there & we meet up :D

Haven't got one of them, I'll either have to get married :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

or knowing what an accommodating lot you all are on here borrow one for a few weeks :D :mmmm :D :mmmm :D :mmmm :D :mmmm :D :mmmm :D :D :mmmm :D :mmmm :D :mmmm :D

Try calling a biker friend of mine who moved there four years ago so knows whats what,,Just north of Ronda, does B+B ETC,,
Martin,, www.casalaparra.com .or phone 0034,956137142.
Great GS country, He can even show you off road routes etc.. G. :thumb

Lovely pictures Kropotkin. Reminded me of the 2 trips wife and I did on the 650 Gs's some years back. We are thinking of taking in the Pyrenees again next year camping rather than using hotels. Have you any info on campsites that might be of use, as we don't fancy rough camping if possible.

Gipsy said:
Lovely pictures Kropotkin. Reminded me of the 2 trips wife and I did on the 650 Gs's some years back. We are thinking of taking in the Pyrenees again next year camping rather than using hotels. Have you any info on campsites that might be of use, as we don't fancy rough camping if possible.

We stayed at Camping Gavin in Biescas last year. Biescas is at one end of the N260 (great road!), and in the high Pyrenees. Lots of walking, and great riding to be done from there.

Pics of last year here:

http://roosanddave.smugmug.com/gallery/235129/6/9140292

Back
Top Bottom