Boating holidays in France

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need to earn some brownie points, so that I can escape for a few days on the bike, and was thinking of hiring a boat for a week in France next spring or summer for me, the wife and kids.

Can anyone suggest either a decent hire firm, or a river/canal route to take please?

Looking for historic towns/ villages and places to amuse the kids.

:confused:

If this is what you want to do then I strongly recommend that you book with one of the 'biggies' (Hoseasons etc), I've done about 8,000 miles of the European inland waterways (which is a lot at 4mph!). You will have no problem finding historical bits. Entertainment for the kids is a different matter, often mile after mile of nothing and large stretches between towns meaning that in the more remote areas it is difficult to route plan. Either there is only 10 miles to the next town so next to no cruising, or it is 10 - 12 hours motoring meaning early starts, late finish and the possibility of spending the night in the middle of nowhere if you miss the last lock (the lock keepers sometimes finish a bit early).

The big companies are usually based where the can give you 'recommended routes' including circular ones so life is much simpler. The north east up towards the confluences with Germany / Holland etc. is interesting. Routes to the Med are often like motorways when it comes to lock scrambles, giving way to commercial travel at locks etc. Get some brochures and come back to me with any ???'s if you like.

Another thought is a 'peniche' (small barge) holiday, they are crewed so you don't have to worry about the boat side of things, more deck / sunbathing space, can take pushbikes etc. and the wife doesn't shout at you for getting it wrong! You can even leave them for the day, pedal down the towpath & meet up later.

Is that small barge as in the one Rick Stein just did the telly prog. in / on?

I used these guys a few years ago. Great fun, easy to run. Loads of restaurants en-route, locks, etc. It slows down your pace...

Loca-Boat

Mike Werner said:
I used these guys a few years ago. Great fun, easy to run. Loads of restaurants en-route, locks, etc. It slows down your pace...

Did it some years ago with a company called Connosoir Cruisers (or similar) from Auxerre on the Yonne. Absolutely brilliant.

As Mike says, the pace is different, very relaxing, different views each day and fantastic places to eat well away from the usual routes.

Locks are fun but you soon get the hang of things and the lock keepers sell fantastic local produce too.

ELIMINATOR said:
Is that small barge as in the one Rick Stein just did the telly prog. in / on?

That would be this one. Nice if you own a fish and chip shop and have deep pockets! http://www.gobarging.com/anjodi_barge.html

I spent my summer hols close to the canal du centre near Beaune. Lovely spot and plenty of boats that had abviously been hired. THinking about it myself.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom