Price for a 2nd hand 2610?

SilverFish

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing my Garmin 2610 for a completely different model, but Im not sure what its worth before I put it in the For Sale section. I did a search in "For Sale" but there was nothing found so I guess either nobody has ever sold one, or more likely the threads have been deleted.

It is:

3 month old Garmin 2610 (full UK spec, Atlantic Basemaps etc)
the full package (bean bag, 256MB Card, remote etc.)
v7 Europe city navigator

Garmin bike cradle
Garmin audio and power cable
RAM arm with Garmin adaptor and U bolt handlebar mount

Very little use, excellent condtion etc - I thought about £500. Fair price..?

Cheers,

Mike

Sounds slightly too much, you can buy them new for less if you shop around on the web, despite the addition of the RAM mounting with yours, which doesn't offset the depreciation of buying 2nd hand.

You will need to give your full details to the new buyer in order for them to be able to register the GPSR and software in their name through Garmin in Romsey.

I'd reckon on £450 posted for that little lot and that would be if you hurried up about it with the 2720 due to hit the shops by year end the 'must have' brigade will be cutting their losses to keep up with the Jones'

Easy way to tell

Bets way I've found for pricing stuff is to wander round Ebay and see what they are selling for. I know i can buy a reconditioned model 'as new' for £500, so you may be a bit enthusiastic there, but good luck anyway.

As a guide I bought a brand new old stock BMW navigator 2 for £500,I think this is a similar model to what you are selling.

Jim-Adv said:
What are you thinking of getting Mike?

Jim

I'm thinking about the TomTom Rider. IMHO, looking at the various pros and cons between the two, I think the Rider just edges the 2610 out (for my own set of requirements anyway). I'll have a look at it at the NEC show to see how workable the Bluetooth connection is on a bike with an Autocom fitted.

If I think it works, I'll put the Garmin in the For Sale section.

Cheers for your help guys,

Mike

marsellus wallace said:
As a guide I bought a brand new old stock BMW navigator 2 for £500,I think this is a similar model to what you are selling.

The BMW Nav II is more useful than the 2610 since it has the very important zoom buttons.

SilverFish said:
I'm thinking of changing my Garmin 2610 for a completely different model...

Geez, I can't figure out why you would want to get rid of your 2610. I have a 2650 (basically, a 2610 with dead reckoning), a 2720, a 296, and something else I can't even talk about, and of all of them, the 2650 is the one I would pick first if I planned on making a moto trip and didn't have to do any product testing. It is truly a first-class product.

Having said all that - if you want to sell it secondhand, try pricing it at around 75 to 80% of the gross (taxes in) price of a new unit, and you will probably have no trouble finding a buyer.

Michael

PanEuropean said:
and something else I can't even talk about

Why, is it kinda personal? ;)

My only criticism of the 2610 is the slow down you experience when negotiating complex road junctions at a fairly quick pace - it just cant keep up. I think I've mentioned this before I bought the 2610 and hoped it was confined to my Quest. It isnt quite as apparent, but still annoys me. I know it's pretty much the only detracting point of the whole setup, its just that it fails to provide proper guidance just when you need it the most. In fact, I feel that the delayed information actually confuses and obfuscates the situation. But maybe Im just being picky...

I was hoping that the TomTom Rider would be the next big thing, but the Bluetooth headset interface ruins it for me. So Im in the Duldrums, keeping an eye on the 2720 and 376c to see how they pan out.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, perhaps experiment a bit with the MAP settings on your GPSR - turn the map detail to the default setting, and reset all the parameters for display of waypoints, towns, railroads, stuff like that back to default and see what happens.

I've done two years of riding with the 26xx, and never encountered a situation where it has fallen behind in complex intersections. I am going to take a guess that you have done something that has greatly increased the workload on the processor, and that is why it is taking longer than it should to draw the screen. In other words, I don't think your problem is computational, I think it has to do with the level of detail that is being presented to you on the screen.

Upload all your data (routes, waypoints, tracks) to your PC using MapSource, then blow out your non-vol memory by doing a factory reset on the GPSR. This won't affect your maps in any way. Then, load your routes and waypoints back into the GPSR, don't change the default configuration settings, and drive around with the default configurations for a few days. My guess is that you will find it will work a heck of a lot faster.

If you have more than one set of cartographic data loaded onto your map chip (e.g. CN Europe version x as well as UK Topography version x and WorldMap), turn off all the mapsets except for CN Europe. Operating with more than one mapset loaded and active does slow things down a bit.

The 27xx is certainly faster than the 26xx, but personally, I kind of prefer the user interface on the 26xx over the user interface on the 27xx. And, as mentioned before, I have never found the 26xx to be slow, even running through multiple consecutive roundabouts.

Michael

SilverFish said:
Why, is it kinda personal? ;)

No, as you probably have guessed, it's a new product that has not been announced yet. It's not intended for motorcycles (not waterproof), so it's nothing for us to be concerned about here.

However - if you would like to hear a really funny story - I picked up this unit at Garmin's head office in Kansas last Wednesday, was advised that I couldn't discuss it until it was announced (the usual procedure for beta-testing), and on Friday, I discovered that someone at the Garmin documentation center (which is in another city) had inadvertently posted the draft version of the owner manual for this and two other unannounced products on the Garmin public website.

Those files have since been removed, but at least I have an owner manual for this thing now. :D

Michael

I have a times found that the 2610 couldn't keep up with the verbal prompts when there is a short distance between the last "turn" and the next one. It doesn't do a turn left then turn left again, but tries to tell you in what disatance the next turn is. From memory it's multiple roundabouts that cause the most problems for the verbal prompts, though the on screen pictorgram shows all the usefull information.

I guess the easy way is, if possible to, use the screen and the verbal together.

PanEuropean said:
Upload all your data (routes, waypoints, tracks) to your PC using MapSource, then blow out your non-vol memory by doing a factory reset on the GPSR. This won't affect your maps in any way. Then, load your routes and waypoints back into the GPSR, don't change the default configuration settings, and drive around with the default configurations for a few days. My guess is that you will find it will work a heck of a lot faster.

Cheers for all of that Mike, I will certainly try your suggestions. You are right - I do display as much detail as I can find and though I had thought about the possibility that it was a screen redraw problem, I discounted it because it only becomes a problem at complex junctions.

I will give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.

Interesting point about your NDA and the 'leaked' documents. Though I sincerely doubt it was the case for Garmin, it's not uncommon for PR/Marketing types to use this 'accidental' leak of information onto websites to start their own viral marketing campaign in order to fuel rumours and get a little gossip going on. It allows the company to test the water a little bit with some crucial product information to see what kind of reaction it gets. And the best thing is they can plausibly deny it ever happened!

John: You're right of course, we should use both the screen and voice prompts together. Im just exacting about this - if its failing me in some way when its vital then it loses its worth in my estimation.

Cheers,

Mike

MNC Group 2610 £519

Current price for 2610 from the above in Plymouth is £519-00, version 7 the whole caboodle. So probably a fair price for a used one is about £400-00, must say dont know why you want to upgrade so soon, yes the 2720 will be great but my 2610 does all I need and has ensured trouble free business and pleasure miles of about 45k in UK an Europe................mind Eire was challenging :D :beer:

Mike, the 2610 is crap, stop trying to justify keeping it -

I'll take it off your hands for a very reasonable £300 . How fair can i be :thumb

fair offer

Mike, take Stepoes :bow money, the word is you will be able to buy a 2610 shortly for around £400..................... dont delay , let Steptoe pay :D
Steptoe said:

:mcgun :mcgun I'll take it off your hands for a very reasonable £300 . How fair can i be :thumb

Steptoe said:

I'll take it off your hands for a very reasonable £300 . How fair can i be :thumb

Lawks Steptoe! You're a toff an' no mistake! If only there were more honest gentlemen like you around, ol' London town would be a better place! Hang on a mo while I get you some change...

Mike, trying singlehandedly to support the Taiwenese economy...

jimbo said:
Does that apply for the speed camera maps/overlay?

If you are talking about the 'overlays' that some folks have put out that display speed camera locations on top of the Garmin cartography that you have in the GPSR, then, yes, it will slow the creation of the display down. I'm not at all familiar with these overlays, because they seem to be unique to the UK. When I was in the UK this summer, I was testing the new 2720 with the Garmin 'Custom POI' feature, which is the new feature on the 2720 that allows you to upload a lat/long database with associated speeds, and then get proximity warnings when you approach these areas.

That new feature does not slow down screen drawing at all, because the custom POI's are handled pretty much like the existing POI's. However, the overlay maps that display speed cameras, etc. on the map - so you see the icons on the map, on top of the Navteq map - will slow the screen refresh rate down. By how much, I don't know.

John Armstrong said:
I have a times found that the 2610 couldn't keep up with the verbal prompts when there is a short distance between the last "turn" and the next one.

Ah - that's understandable. The voice can only talk at one speed in the 2610. In the 2720, there is an option to speed up the speech rate, although I have not fooled around with it. Personally, I never listen to the voice when I am on a moto, and only listen to it in the car when I have to listen to it for testing purposes.

I think that the 26xx series gives the user the ability to turn the voice off, but turn an 'attention tone' on. The attention tone will generate a bong whenever a 'next turn' screen pops up, or whenever something appears on the screen that you might want to look at (warning message, etc.). Even with the voice turned off, you can get a voice prompt at any time by pressing the SPEAK key on the GPSR. You might want to experiment a bit - try turning the voice off, and seeing if the bong of the attention tone is sufficient to advise you when you should take a glance at the screen to see the guidance that is displayed there. You might find that you are actually a heck of a lot happier without the voice - that has been my experience since day one.

SilverFish said:
Cheers for all of that Mike, I will certainly try your suggestions. You are right - I do display as much detail as I can find and though I had thought about the possibility that it was a screen redraw problem, I discounted it because it only becomes a problem at complex junctions. I will give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.

Another thing we need to keep in mind is that there are many, many different ways that we can customize the visual presentation, and sometimes, we customize our way right into reduced performance. For example, the 'default' main map page provides a text display of the next leg change at all times. If we customize the map display, we can easily get rid of this everpresent text message - which then forces us to rely on the voice or the next turn pop-ups for directional guidance.

When I am beta-testing new software builds, I always download my routes, tracks, and waypoints, then reset the GPSR to its original factory default settings before I upload the new software. There are a heck of a lot of benefits to doing this:

1) I get to see what the software engineers have provided in the new build. If I just loaded the new build into the GPSR without erasing the non-vol memory (meaning, without resetting to defaults first), I would only see changes that happened to affect my custom configuration.

2) It brings me back to a 'reference performance' point. This allows me to see if the new software build runs faster or better than the previous one (usually it does). If I left my customized settings in the GPSR, I wouldn't be able to compare performance based on a known reference point.

3) It cleans out little problems that may have accumumated over time, not unlike how little problems accumulate over time with the operating system and non-vol memory of personal computers.

If you consider yourself an 'experienced user' of Garmin GPSRs, then give this a try. First save all your waypoints, routes and tracks by uploading them to your PC using MapSource, then blow out your non-vol by doing a factory reset, and then reload your waypoints and routes. Don't be too quick to change settings (other than measurement units, time zone, and other localization stuff) for the next few days. You might get a few really pleasant surprises - your GPSR will work much faster than before, and you will probably discover a whole bunch of new features that you haven't noticed before, because your customized settings obscured them.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom