Picture for Shuck Raider

Alte Wolf

Reaction score
Found this one buried deep in the HDD thought you might like it shuck ;)

Father and son team just outside Bangor Co Mayo, you'll know the river. I stopped the bike and they were happy to pose for the picture.

Looked like quite a successful morning for them what dyou think? :cool:

Attachments

• fishermen.jpg
    fishermen.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 120
A fine pic Alte.

I think this one has been posted here before, but I think it's a great shot.

Attachments

• jumping trout.jpg
    jumping trout.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 113
Happy days, Alte, thanks for the pic. The Owenmore River, if I'm not mistaken. Good to see they're both using flyrods too, so easy for kids to get into the habit of metal-chucking, or worse :)

I haven't fished there for a while, but Bangor Erris was one of my old stamping grounds. You can see the problems on parts of the Owenmore caused by the peat-powered power station at Bellacorrick - they dump the peat residue in the river which causes silting-up and consequent coffee-coloured water. The salmon don't like it either, causes irritation in their gills and they don't hang around near the power station. The bridge you were on is well downstream but the effects can still be seen.

Bellacorrick is either now closed or about to close, to be replaced by dozens of those scenic and Quixotic windmills on the high moors on the Crossmolina road, which is long-term good news for the river and the fish but not for those who previously enjoyed the views across the boglands. A trade-off, I guess, and a sign of the times.

Thanks again for the pic, it's got me hankering for a re-visit next season :)

Aidan, 'tis the last weekend of the trout season and everybody's throwing fishy pix at me - I'm facing 4 months of angling celibacy here :)

That is a great photo, mind....

Back
Top Bottom