King of the Mountain.

riverking

This post is simply to dispel any rumours that the 'King of the Mountain' left his hotel at 6am this morning in order to post an early defence. ;) :D

King Of The Mountain

I'll let Greg 'King of the Mountain' Masters tell the whole story, however these pictures might give you a clue. ;)

1st attempt to find the number plate

42137706-M.jpg

2nd attempt to find the number plate

42137707-M.jpg

No its not at the bottom of the river either!

42137717-M.jpg

rest of the piccies here:

http://41st-epping-forest-s.smugmug.com/gallery/893185/1/42137652

I could add to this :D ................but I won't, I'll leave it to the others, and the pictures they took. to tell the whole story.

I should really be posting up a report on the Welsh off-roading trip, but as the thread has started here, I have to say that the weekend was an absolute cracker :thumb , great trails, all a mixture of rocks, slate, mud, bogs and rivers........oh and not forgetting hills :rolleyes: . We had to cross one winding river a total of seven times :eek: , more on this will surely follow in later reports.

All in all the riding was great, the craic around the table in the pub at night :D , all added to a superb weekend.

One of us has forgotten to pay their £25.00 for the guide, Mary feels she knows who it is and has asked me to sort it. If you are reading this and realise you've only paid £60.00 for your hotel and not £85.00 to include the guide, please pm me and we can make arrangements for payment.

That's all for now, sorry there's no pictures, but rest assured, they will follow :eek:

Is this where we're posting the aftermath?

Dave and I were the winners of the ‘Who’ll get to Rhayader first?’ award. We arrive late-morning on Friday, in time to discover the ‘interesting’ nature of The Lion Royal Hotel (if you like unrestored ‘50s style hotels, this is the place for you!) and get the bikes unloaded for a quick bimble along the local lanes.

Before we set off, Clive and Steve (Throb the Builder) arrived, Clive deciding you join us. The first lane we tried was very different from anything I’d ridden before – lots of soft mud mixed in with granite rock strata across the tracks.

Not having too much fuel and knowing that the Squadron Leader (Phil) and Mr Tickle (Geoff) would be arriving at the hotel, we turned around and rode back down the track.

Fueled up and this time joined by Throb, Tickle and the SL, we went out for a longer ride using the same track as our starting point.

Reynolds decided that he would attempt to follow me through a small puddle, but managed to dismount the bike halfway through!!

Click thumbnails

Arriving at the second track, by this time in the pouring rain, we were told very clearly by an official Country Ranger that there was a TPO in force, but he helpfully suggested another couple of lanes we could use. Unlike the first ascent, neither offered much of a challenge, but nicely warmed us up for Saturday.

Fun in the bomb-hole

By the time we had arrived back at the hotel, all the other tossers had arrived including Battyman with his indecently clean DR-Z!!

Over a few beers and local nosebag that evening much merriment was made and a decision to change the tyres on Throb’s KTM 640. After about an hour-and-a-half’s struggle, we had changed the front Trailwing for a knoblie. Maybe too pissed or tired or both, we left the rear tyre as it was.

Saturday morning dawned somewhat overcast and by 09.30hrs our guides, Dai Lewis and Zoltan (Zender?, Zimble? – what was his name??) had arrived to guide us for the day.

About 100 miles was planned and they certainly took us over some interesting territory. I wish I could say that the day was without incident, but is wasn’t – most of them happening to me!

The first was to KTM520 who pinged his leg when he didn’t make it to the top of a hill. No serious damage to man or machine.

Later, I lost my number-plate which fell off at the same time I did. Shame I didn’t notice!

Then there was the mud-bath. Charlie’s immaculate bike got a little dirty. So did Charlie!

Charlie's bike being ridden out by Dai - Charlie standing behind!

KTM520 in the mud!

Shortly after a petrol stop, I got a front puncture which took about 30 minutes to fix. Then Throb’s bike wouldn’t restart (again!) and another 20 minutes was lost sorting that out.

Within 5 minutes, it was my turn again – I managed to drop my bike in a ford, well, river actually! The entire bike was underwater. Having dragged it out, it then took about an hour to dismantle and drain. Personal thanks to Simon and Charlie for tolerating my fecking irritability and continuing to help fix the bike.

This was the road!

Charlie cleaning his boots

The, on a road section, Phil and a close call with an oncoming Range-Rover in the middle of the road on a bend, but in avoiding it headed for the undergrowth, bushes and trees on the left-hand side of the road. Man and bike in separate heaps on the verge. Very luckily, no serious damage to either – but the bike did lose its only surviving mirror!

Finally, Geoff let his bike fall and broke the brake lever. No great problem to Geoff until later in the gloom of the late afternoon, he was leading the hoon along a country lane, a gated country lane! Despite throwing out the anchor, he would have hit the gate before stopping, so decided to try find an escape route. The sheep had never looked so worried!

All in all a great day. Thanks to Phil for organising and Dai and Zimmer(?) for leading the way.

Greg

Welsh Wombats

Big thanks to Phil for organising the Welsh Womabt Hunt. I had a fantastic time. The pictures really don't do it justice.

Stuck before we started

42137652-M.jpg

How many tossers does it take to unload a bike?

42137657-M.jpg

No Wombats here

42137659-M.jpg

Top of the reservoir

42137661-M.jpg

Squadron Leader Snorkling

42137668-M.jpg

Post Bog rest

42137693-M.jpg

What happens next?

42137702-M.jpg

!!!!!!!!!

42137704-M.jpg

King of the Hill

How far will he get?

42137706-M.jpg

How to cross a river

42137711-M.jpg

How not to cross a river!!

42137717-M.jpg

Puncture, Good job 'the 'King of the Mountain' carries a spare tube.

42137716-M.jpg

More pictures here:

http://41st-epping-forest-s.smugmug.com/gallery/893185/1/42137652

... Kate Bush's new single - " king of the mountain"

...her inspiration - Greg Masters; hill climber extraordinaire :D :D :D

What a cracking weekend, thank you Phil :clap , it was brilliant. Thanks also to everyone else for making it so great - I'm still laughing now. I enjoyed it so much I've promised to treat the missus to a luxury weekend break in the same hotel - I told her it would be a surprise for her and I don't think I'm wrong! Lets do it again sometime :beer:

Thanks Phil for organising a great weekend.Great place good company.Talk about jumping in at the deep end ;;;;. First time out with all the gear and the new bike ,learn't loads.
1.How not to go up a hill ?
2.How to really flood your bike.
3.How to get a puncture.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help over the weekend as I was the novice and was put right on a fare few points.
See you next time !!(Up at Jonny Boxers.)
Regards Steve(Throb).

Thanks for organising a great weekend Phil, excellent trails, great company, bloody good laugh :thumb

If anyone is interested, here are the routes (as .gdb2 files):

Greg

Attachments

• Wales - Friday 28 Oct 2005.gdb
    30.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Wales - Saturday 29 Oct 2005.gdb
    58 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Greg :thumb

(no wonder we were knackered after Saturday - have you seen the distance!

..brilliant weekend! ....great company! ...many thanks for organising it Phil.

My DRZ is now run-in :D

The bog incident was a classic.... i was in my usual position of letting someone else go in front so that i could avoid their f**k ups ;) but this didn't work out too well..

...Mr Masters got very stuck in the bog.... in my feeble attempt to avoid the same i immediately also got stuck, directly behind and sideways on ... then when one of the guides proceeded to paddle-steam Gregs bike out by sticking it in 2nd and flooring it i copped the lot!!! :eek: .. so i said you might as well get mine out too 'cos i can't.... then i got a second coating!

Great day.... lotsa beer and bollocks in the evening....

...just bought a bashplate off ebay and ordering me bar risers now....this has gotta be repeated :D

Best Regards
Charlie :thumb

charlie batty said:
..brilliant weekend! ....great company! ...many thanks for organising it Phil.

My DRZ is now run-in :D

The bog incident was a classic.... i was in my usual position of letting someone else go in front so that i could avoid their f**k ups ;) but this didn't work out too well..

...Mr Masters got very stuck in the bog.... in my feeble attempt to avoid the same i immediately also got stuck, directly behind and sideways on ... then when one of the guides proceeded to paddle-steam Gregs bike out by sticking it in 2nd and flooring it i copped the lot!!! :eek: .. so i said you might as well get mine out too 'cos i can't.... then i got a second coating!

Great day.... lotsa beer and bollocks in the evening....

...just bought a bashplate off ebay and ordering me bar risers now....this has gotta be repeated :D

Best Regards
Charlie :thumb

Looks like from the pictures i got the guides back for you Charlie, i managed to spray Zoltan??? driving out of the bog. :D
42159825-M.jpg

ktm520 said:
Looks like from the pictures i got the guides back for you Charlie, i managed to spray Zoltan???

Yeah, Zachery got a right splattering from that!!!

:D

Greg

Back
Top Bottom