Mounting a Quest. Opinions please

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After much research I think I will mount the Quest on my 1150 in the following way.

BMW handlebar crossbar mount, about £15.00 I think

Garmin Quest bike power mount, about £50.00.

I don't think I'll bother with the audio lead. I was a Goldwinger in a former life and continually pulling the audio lead from the music player every time you stopped was a real pain.

Looking at Christmas pressies.

Anyone tried this set up? Does anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages with it?

Cheers

Mike R

I use a RAM arm off the handlebars near the mounts so I can't comment on the cross bar part. The Garmin powered mount is very good though. Mine is wired straight to the battery and works a treat.

Have fun with it :)

Twotter said:
I use a RAM arm off the handlebars near the mounts so I can't comment on the cross bar part. The Garmin powered mount is very good though. Mine is wired straight to the battery and works a treat.

Have fun with it :)

As above I'm just waiting to obtain the bits for the helmet speakers

I don't think I'll bother with the audio lead

If you are not going for audio is it really worth powering the Quest from the bike, bearing in mind you should easily get a full day's ride out of an overnight charge?

If you are happy using the internel battery all you then need is a RAM-HOL-GA15 to hold the Quest and a clamping block around the crossbar that screws to the back of the RAM holder

I used a discarded plastic (polyethline?) chopping board about 10mm thick, but virtually any material, even wood, could be used. Take your trusty hacksaw and cut two pieces 42mm by 21mm (QPAC dimensions) - clamp them together and drill a hole the same diameter as your crossbar (12mm?) lengthwise through the whole caboosh. Then offer up to the back of the RAM holder and use it as a template to drill two holes through the two blocks and screw it all together - take one permanent marker pen to stain it all black and for £15 and an hours honest labour you are the complete navigator. If you later decide to go with power/audio the QPAC will attach seamlessly onto the back of this homebrew mount by using longer bolts

It may sound a bit naff but it works great, looks OK, costs now't and gives you time to dream up the perfect solution - pm if you would like a photo

Thanks for that. I plan to use the Quest for touring Germany, Austria and maybe a bit of Italy next year. At the moment I am not sure if I will have the facilities to re-charge each night hence the power mount.

Cheers

Mike R

Mike,

the simplest method is RAM-B-149Z and RAM-HOL-GA15 and to power it, then QPAC (this subject and Quest powered mounts has been discussed fully in this forum). For the cross bar, then use RAP-319, its a shim adaptor that allows the RAM U-bolt to attach onto tubular rail under 3/4". If you have a second U-bolt, RAM-B-231Z and get the right QPAC (eg not QPAC01) then you can de-install and move b'tween 1150GS and 1200GS.

RAM-man

:clap :thumb :clap :thumb :clap :thumb :thumb :clap :thumb

I have finally decided the best route for me and ordered the bits from Ram-man.

Thanks for all your help.

After purchasing the last "Quest" in PC World (Dundee) for £190.00, and the Garmin motorcycle mounting bracket (Garmin part no. 010-10610-00) from Globalpositioningsystems.co.uk (£48.43) I set about looking for the neatest GPS mount for my 1200GS.

I came across this one from Motorrad Concepts. Its quite pricy at £79.90 but its an extremely well made piece of kit, and looks as if it's meant to be part of the bike.

Attachments

• 0003.JPG
    0003.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 0015.JPG
    0015.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 0016.JPG
    0016.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 150
How does the Garmin powered mount fix onto the bike, does it need an additional bracket of some sort?

I've just upgraded from a GPS V and have a RAM arm and cradle from this set up - am I able to utilise my existing RAM arm and fix the Garmin mount to this?

I ordered my Quest together with the Touratech mount and power cable:

42999618-M.jpg

View while riding:

42999621-M.jpg

GSPeP said:
I ordered my Quest together with the Touratech mount and power cable:

42999618-M.jpg

View while riding:

42999621-M.jpg

You might want a rubber band around the quest on that version of the bracket. The cam locking arrangement is less than 100% reliable. :thumb search for fanum losing a quest on the m25.

Back
Top Bottom