Heated handlebars on GS 1100

Bullefnatt

Hello

I am planning on swapping the stock handlebars on my 1100 for a set og Magura X-line handlebars.
My major concern is disconnecting and de-assembling the OEM heated grips

Has anyone got a rough idea on how to take these grips apart without demolishing them?

Would I be right presuming that the new handlebars will conduct less heat?

Thank you

Bullefnatt

Either very carefully prise the termination pins from the connector block near the headstock (just under the front edge of the petrol tank),or cut the wires with a view to soldering them back after the mod ( which I did on my crashed 1100 when I fitted some new bars ).
The grips are held in place on the bars with some small screws.

Very carefully guide the wires through the bars as you remove the grips...more a case of gently pushing the wire rather than pulling it through.
They`re very easily damaged...

When refitting,push a piece of wire through the bar first,to act as a 'fishwire', then tape the heater wire to this,and gently guide it through.

Good luck.... :thumb

Cheers for that Tarka :thumb

So the right aproach would be to disconnect the wires prior to removing the actual grips?

I took a close look at my grips, and I could only find a screw underneath one of the grips, the left one I belive. Should there be a second screw as well?

Any input wiewpoints would be much appreciated

Bullefnatt

Bullefnatt said:
Cheers for that Tarka :thumb

You`re quite welcome... :p

Bullefnatt said:
So the right aproach would be to disconnect the wires prior to removing the actual grips?

Oh yes indeedy...I don`t think you`ll get them off otherwise....unless you want to juggle with loose handlebars while trying to work the grips off without ripping out the wires....

Bullefnatt said:
I took a close look at my grips, and I could only find a screw underneath one of the grips, the left one I belive. Should there be a second screw as well?

Do you know what ? I can`t remember if the right one was clamped to the throttle twistgrip sleeve or if it was an integral part...it`s obviously not clamped to the bars,as it needs to rotate.A quick look will reveal all.....

As I said earlier,you do have to be VERY VERY careful with the wires....

Back
Top Bottom