1100 feeling harsh

Trippy

Any body got any idea's. I've had my 1100 a few months and it has been running smoothly, however in the last few days im getting more vibration felt through the pegs and bars. Where it did feel smooth upto 90 it now feels harsh from 75 upwards. It's got a Remus and has been off road quite abit in the last few weeks. The back of the exhaust looks quite black, does the mixture change much on these and do they go out of balance? Any suggestions before I book it into CW.
Jim

When these bikes run rough it's a good idea to check the throttle cables run properly over the pulleys next to both throttle bodies. Unlikely in your case, perhaps, as this usually makes the bike run very rough.

The black exhaust is probably nothing to worry about. It may be natural or it may be because the carbon monoxide sensor isn't adjsuted properly, making the bike run a little rich - shouldn't be harmful.

The overall likely cause of vibration is the throttles are out of balance. They drift out over time.

With a bit of luck all it'll need is a service. Chances are you'll be keeping the bike for a long while so learn how to service it yourself.

Try searching the tech forum for 'throttle bodies', 'balance' and 'Twin Max'. It's easy and throttle body balance is critical to engine smoothness.

If a good service don't sort it do as Big Lad suggests and look at the Throttle Position Sensor[TPS], an approx 50mmx50mmx8mm black box retained by two small bolts on the left hand throttle body.

Since it's had a bit of off road abuse it might be worth blowing out the pulleys the throttle cables follow as stones or grit trapped in the 'groove' will throw the balance out.

I'd also check the rear bevel bearing -

Bike on center stand,rotate rear wheel, and see if you can feel any vibes/roughness .

Ta

Ta very much I'll check all these and yeah try to work out how to keep em balanced myself. Jim

what about...

Noted all the above and have read the posts re tps resetting by taking the fuse 5 out etc. The post re taking relay out and leaving it out under the seat which makes em run better, it seem inconclusive whether this is to be done on an 1100 as it may cause long term damage. Any more ideas on that ?

Trippy said:
Noted all the above and have read the posts re tps resetting by taking the fuse 5 out etc. The post re taking relay out and leaving it out under the seat which makes em run better, it seem inconclusive whether this is to be done on an 1100 as it may cause long term damage. Any more ideas on that ?

Don't - at least not now. It may improve the bikes running but remember, the bike was running fine up until a little while ago. You need to get it back into the state it was then, not a new unproven condition.

As a general strategy I'd recommend getting your bike in a good state of tune, there's every chance this will sort the problem. Start buggering around with stuff like that when an underlying problem exists will only complicate the troubleshooting procedure.

Seems to me that by removing the relay at this stage you're attempting to cover up and not cure a problem.

Good Luck!

MMM

MMM ... Good point. I'll get it sorted I'm sure with all the advice. Can't today as I'm stuck in work ...... supposed to be working !
Jim

Back
Top Bottom