Power Socket

Garryc

Reaction score
...Now totally pissed off,

1st - Just read the earlier thread on the 2nd Power Socket being an OE, was told it was standard. :spitfire

Thought I was going mad, as I could find it....!!! :tosser

2nd - I cant get my 12v pump to work, regardless of what I do. It worked fine on Adv for the last 2yrs.

According to the manual, the socket should be live for up to 15mins, unless;

Your pulling too much current and or the battery running out of juice. I would have thought neither was an issue, as the bike 2mnths old and I commute daily.

Any suggestions?

Assume you're talking about a 1200?

Is the hazard warning button lit up? If so, the power socket should be on.

The socket doesn't stay on for 15 minutes unless there's something connected, with no load it's more like 30 seconds.

Mouse -

If the bike, is still "ON" and the pump connected to the socket then it should work?

Is there any time lag with the socket once the bike is turned on?

Whats the connection with the hazards?

From memory, even if the ignition was on then I couldn't use a 12v pump from the accessory socket. Never tried it with the engine running though due to gassing myself / damaging the bike from overheating. :eek:

Stick a multi meter across the socket and check for volts, if none, stick the meter across the connections going onto the socket if none work your way back to the fuses. If you have volts when the ignition is on you have a duff socket.

Keith Chapman said:
Stick a multi meter across the socket and check for volts, if none, stick the meter across the connections going onto the socket if none work your way back to the fuses. If you have volts when the ignition is on you have a duff socket.

The "problem" is not the lack of volts coming out of the socket, it is the unwillingness of the socket to pass out a few amps. And this is all being controlled by the "fuses" that reset themselves. What I don't know, and can't test, :( is whether you have to switch the ignition off, to reset the elctronic fuses.

Garryc said:
Mouse -

If the bike, is still "ON" and the pump connected to the socket then it should work?

Is there any time lag with the socket once the bike is turned on?

Whats the connection with the hazards?

Yes, if the bike is on, the socket is powered. The only connection with the hazards is that the light inside the hazard switch is on when the socket is on. Newer bikes don't have a hazard switch (so I have heard) so this might not be relevant to you.

I reckon your pump is drawing too much power and so the bike is shutting down the circuit. The limit on the circuit is allegedly 5 amps.

Back
Top Bottom