N.Spain/pyrennes recomendations pls

Dinger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Roll up you seasoned travellers, we're planning a trip to N.Spain (Europa mtns) and the Pyrennes for mid May next year. Anyone know of any "must do/see" bits, good roads or rideouts, hotel recommendations thereabouts?
Also, what sort of temperature range and weather is the norm for that time of year?
Any info about this would help, even if it's just one good hotel, road or stunning viewpoint that you know of.
Serious request this, the trip is a blank canvass at the mo so we could flesh it out from any suggestions you have.
BTW, it will be a mixture of bikes so no ploughed fields please. :D

Paul
:)

For roads try the N-260 which basically goes from coast to coast, Ainsa is a nice place for a stop. Other accomodation try the Paradores, especially the one at Sos del Rey Catolico.

Hotel Carlos III in Santander. Cheap, friendly, decent rooms, easy reach of the Picos roads and, best of all, a TOP tapas bar within 30 seconds stagger across the road. In the Sardinero, so lots of good bars, restaurants and grub to be had.

Hotel Carlos III
Avda Reina Victoria
135-137
Sardinero
39005 Santander

942 27 16 16

Got to add my approval for the N260, the section between Seu d' Urgell and Sort, around 45 kilometres of absolutely superb tarmac and twisties. Rode it earlier this year on a Gixer750, so good we turned around and did it again. Will definately be doing it on the GS, it will be in its element I would think.
Have you been to Andorra?

John

Thanks for the quick replies, this is exactly the sort of input we need. Andorra is definitely on the cards (I've been there but only for a flying visit and it was full of frenchies filling their cars up) and I've just looked up the N260 on autoroute, looks like the cut of my jib.
Keep it coming people.

Paul
:)

Andorra IMO is not worth the effort. Just one bloody great traffic jam. You must ride up to the top of the Col du Tourmalet (6935ft) which is often on the Tour de France route. Great views and a large statue of a cyclist.

It's cheese Jim, but not as we know it.

Eye wateringly strong:eek: Avoid it in the Picos.
32922748-M.jpg

Possu
What a cracker of a travelogue - really excellent.
Paul

I can highly recommend my mate's place. It's about 60km from Bilbao and is surrounded by some excellent roads and the Cantabrian mountains are only 30 minutes away. A number of GSers have stayed there now and all have come back with glowing reports.

Cheers

Dick

another vote

for the N260 and Andorra. The hotel flora in Andorra La Vella is a good place to stay. Secure parking, friendly staff and bike shops galore all round. Any of the roads round are worth riding and tax free shopping!

guitarman said:
I can highly recommend my mate's place. It's about 60km from Bilbao and is surrounded by some excellent roads and the Cantabrian mountains are only 30 minutes away. A number of GSers have stayed there now and all have come back with glowing reports.

Cheers

Dick

Ooh ta! That's a distinct possibility, do they stock lots of beer? :)

guitarman said:

Cheers

Dick

Thanks for the heads-up Dick. :thumb Going on a solo scouting mission for 2006 in a few days time (grabbed a RyanAir flight for 25 quid return inc tax!) and have booked-in to your mate's gaff to use as a base for 3 nights.
I'd better make a start on reading up all those Picos trip reports now...
Penf

Had a bit of road riding in Pyrenees and Picos. Pyr wins imho, because you can see what is coming a lot more of the time than you can in Picos. Picos - ok so long as you factor in the possible tour bus (which will take up both sides of road to get around many corners), heap of cow shit, cow, peasant that could be around every turn.

Off-road - another matter, hope to try it.

Dinger said:
Ooh ta! That's a distinct possibility, do they stock lots of beer? :)

No shortage of beer :D

The food is also excellent.

Cheers

Dick

Penfold said:
Thanks for the heads-up Dick. :thumb Going on a solo scouting mission for 2006 in a few days time (grabbed a RyanAir flight for 25 quid return inc tax!) and have booked-in to your mate's gaff to use as a base for 3 nights.
I'd better make a start on reading up all those Picos trip reports now...
Penf

Great stuff, you'll enjoy it. There are a number of off road tracks around and Graeme should be able to point you in the right direction.

Don't miss the peppers in olive oil and salt :D

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Dick

Stayed Here a Few Years Ago.

We stayed here in 2003 ,lovely hotel, good food and your right at the end of the road - right in the middle of the Picos.
It's at Fuente De - about 10 miles past Potes, surrounded on 3 sides by a circle of massive peaks - I think all the rooms have balconies facing the mountains?.
The cable car station is only 100 metres away and takes you right to the top.

http://www.liebanaypicosdeeuropa.com/guia/rebeco.htm

Cheers...............Grizzly :beer: :beer:

Try the grand hotel in Jacca. Has good parking, and a garage if needed. Great road over the pyrenees into France brings you out not too far from Lourdes. If on a GS would reccommend a visit to the Monastery of St. Juan De La Pena. In fact there are 2 monasteries there. At the top of a long winding mountain road. The new monastery dates from the 14th century. The old is in a hermits cave and dates back to the 9th century. Stunning spot what with the vultures circling overhead.
A vote also for Potes in the picos mts. Great spot and wonderfull roads radiating from there.

Back
Top Bottom