Frozen Gear Lever

snoopy

It was bitter cold this morning (< 0c) and as I started journey to work the gear lever was very stiff, even being a job to get it to move. This dissappeared as bike warmed up after a while. Any ideas how to solve this problem? I havn't changed the oil since I bought the bike from a BMW dealer (3000 miles). Could that be the reason?

Andy

They all do that sir....

There is a nylon bush in the external gearchange linkages that gets full of crap. Strip it down, clean it out and generally shave a bit of plastic off and it should work fine.

Mike

I found out last year, when up in the scottish snow, that my indiactors and starter button kept freezing up.

The indicators I can do without but the starter button would freeze up in either the start or the released position after a short ride.

It really pissed me of with this on my bike when my mate's FJR was problem free...

snoopy said:
It was bitter cold this morning (< 0c) and as I started journey to work the gear lever was very stiff, even being a job to get it to move. This dissappeared as bike warmed up after a while. Any ideas how to solve this problem? I havn't changed the oil since I bought the bike from a BMW dealer (3000 miles). Could that be the reason?

Andy

Yep, same here this morning, just thought the oil was a bit thicker than norm due to the cold, do you keep your bike outside?

Shep

Do you fire up and go - or do you fire up and wait for a minute or two?

Yup bike outside, nice and cold! Bloody hell were my hands freezing today. The gortex BMW gloves people were recommended are ace but not for cold weather.

I usually start and leave for a bit when its cold like today I was just suprised to find a BMW engineering flaw. I'm hoping its not going to be like my old sv650, where the electrics would cut on heavy rain.

Cheesy Mike said:
They all do that sir....

There is a nylon bush in the external gearchange linkages that gets full of crap. Strip it down, clean it out and generally shave a bit of plastic off and it should work fine.

Mike

I've only ever found the ally bush, not nylon ??

Use marine grease on re-assembling and never worry about it freezing again :thumb

Dont leave your GS ticking over for long as they have been known to go on fire after a while

Back
Top Bottom