Kawasaki KMX 200 - Are they any good ?

Andy Hird

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got the chance to buy a Kawasaki KMX200 form a guy at work for £400. It's a 1991 model, in very very good condition, neraly immaculate I'd say.

My question is, can anyone tell me if it would make a competeant trail bike, and could they be used for the occassional Enduro ??

Cheers,

Andy :thumb

Nah they're absolute rubbish, I wouldn't bother with it. Especialy at that price.

What did you say this guys phone number was???? :D

Seriously though, excelent pieces of kit for having fun off road. Not going to be up with the leaders in an enduro but will still be fun.
Only thing at that age, if I remember correctly, they have a coated bore that has to be recoated not rebored and it used to be bloody expensive. Someone will no doubt be along soon with a better idea on that though.

Also seriously, if you don't want it let me know. It's just what I'm looking for.

Ian

MrIFan said:
Nah they're absolute rubbish, I wouldn't bother with it. Especialy at that price.

Seriously though, excelent pieces of kit for having fun off road. Not going to be up with the leaders in an enduro but will still be fun.
Only thing at that age, if I remember correctly, they have a coated bore that has to be recoated not rebored and it used to be bloody expensive. Someone will no doubt be along soon with a better idea on that though.

Also seriously, if you don't want it let me know. It's just what I'm looking for.

Ian

Ian,

Ha, Ha, when I read your opening comments, I was really dissapointed, because I'd got myself really excited about the bike, then as I read on it raised a few titters :clap

Cheers for the info, re: the recoated bore I think at the price of the bike I'll take a chance on it, fingers crossed it'll be o.k.

Cheers,

Andy

I had one when I started in the TRF. It used to overheat badly and steamed in the slower deeper bogs.
Brilliant on the road though for titting about. Sold it and got an XR250 instead for the trail.

I bought one brand new in 1988, did loads of laning and trail bike club enduros.The only issue I had was also overheating ,but it only did it when stuck in really deep boggy mud whilst deep winter laning.Otherwise it was a great little bike.For £ 400 you can'y go wrong.

Marcus. :thumb

I had one about 8 years ago,it was a great trail bike.The only fault was that it got hot when stuck in Bogs,so we fit a fan behind the Rad,and put a switch on the bars,so i could turn it on when she started to get hot.
I had it 2 years then sold it to a friend,Then he sold it to one of his friend.The bike is still going strong,and still used for trail riding.Its now got 24000 miles on her.Its only ever needed Bearings Pads and C+S..Not bad for a Bike thats had a lot of hard use. :thumb

Andy

Put it this way. If you don't buy it, could you please PM me the sellers phone number......I live in your neck of the woods....

Cheers

Needs a new clutch

Update on the KMX

It's in very tidy condition, though not immaculate, as I first thought. It needs new front pads, but also needs a new clutch, as it's slipping pretty badly. I've never fitted a new clutch, is it a difficult and expensive job ??

Johnnie, if I don't have it, then I'll give you a shout, the bike is between Malton and Helmsley.

Andy

Clutch should be a 30 min job and not costly. :D

BLUE(UK) said:

yea can't get far in here without someone finding out :D

14 odd years ago my mate had both a 125 bored out to a 197CC i think...
and a 200... the 125 was done by some scooter tuner ... with a DEP end can fitted... the bored out version was far quicker than the 200 :)
the down side was that it did crank bearings about every 500 mile :) (thrashed it)
but the up side was he got that good at changing them that he could have the engine out and back in again in under 35 Min's with the bearings changed :)
fitted Avon gripsters and a steering damper and made a great back roads bike :D :cool:

MrIFan said:

Ian

Totaly agree, there jap crap :nenau

Can i have second dibs :D

Back
Top Bottom