GAS GAS EC 300, W REG, 2000 MODEL

Gilson

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After making a mistake in buying an old DR350 and not knowing what to look for, I am considering buying a proper dirt bike.

I like the Orange rash post, but have seen the above bike for sale. I am still weary of two strokes, but I understand that they are unbeatable for power to weight ratio.

The other question I have is about GAS GAS make. What are they and what is the general opinion of them?

any thoughts would be very good.... Here is the advert below, it has been posted in various places. Haven't yet seen a picture but it has obviously been used and worked on, (which is good and bad)...

GAS GAS EC 300, W REG, 2000 MODEL, PRIVATE NUMBER PLATE W300 GAS, SERVICED EVERY 12HRS OF RIDING, CURRENTLY SORN, APICO FRAME GUARDS, CRD FULL SUMP GUARD, ACCEBIS HAND GUARDS, REAR DISC GUARD, HYDRAULIC CLUTCH, RECENT X-RING CHAIN AND SPROKETS, NEW AIR FILTER, NEW PLASTICS AND GRAPHICS KIT, NEW SEAT COVER, FMF GRANLY FRONT PIPE (ORGINAL ALSO INCLUDED), REJETTED TO SUIT, SPARE PLASTICS/ SEAT COVER/ LEVERS/ KICK START, RECENT ENGINE REBUILD, RENTHAL BARS, 2 STAGE BOSENEN RACE REEDS, NEW FRONT & REAR BRAKES, JUST HAD LINKAGE AND SWINGING ARM BEARINGS REPLACED, TIDY AND RELIABLE BIKE, SUPERB MACHINE FOR GREEN LANING, TRAILS OR SPORTSMAN/ CLUBMAN ENDUROS. THIS BIKE HAS HAD SOME SERIOUS LOVE AND CARE AND MONEY SPENT ON IT, MORE THAN THE WIFE BUT SHE WOULD'NT GO SO THE BIKE HAS TO GO CANT AFFORD BOTH. £1500.00.

Gilson said:
The other question I have is about GAS GAS make. What are they and what is the general opinion of them?

Gas Gas are Spanish http://www.gasgasmotos.es/web/esp/frame.htm are known particularly for their trials bikes where they have been very successful in all levels of competion including the world championships. I can't comment on the bike you are looking at but my son had one of their trials bikes (125cc 2-stroke) and that was a good bike and was pretty easy to fix. I say fix because regular maintenance and repair is a way of life with trials bikes.
My own experience with them is that quality was OK, but no better than OK... some parts needed fettling to get them to fit... annoying.

I haven't owned one but they say that when you buy a new one you're best to strip it down and loctite all the bolts that they haven't.Other than that they're supposed to be a good bike although i doubt if it's a wise choice for green laning due to the power output unless you're 15stones + to dampen it a little.

gas gas

TBM magazine have a second hand buyers review in there latest issue, it,s actually about post 250 2001 model,s but it might be of some use

billy

I've ridden the EC200, and have to say it was very easy to ride. there is no "hit" as the revs rise, just lots of tractable power, combined with weight that doesn't feel to dissimilar to a mountain bike when your riding it.

From what i understand the EC300 has the same style of tuning, though can be coaxed to produce around 70 bhp.... :eek:

The 250 is supposed to have more of a MX style power output, which is good if you want a big smile on your face when the power comes in, but not so good on a slippery climb...

IIRC one of the knight brothers had one (EC300) for competition use, so they can't be that bad.

Parts are supposed to be relatively cheap, but they can be fussy on oil, especially the 200.

HTH

nathan

If the EC300 is in good nick and going for the right price rip his arm off. They are a great bike for little money. They make a lot of power but are not 'peaky' like the equivilent KTM's.
The build quality is not up to KTM standards but with the money you'll save you'll have more than enough to do the little bits that need doing.

Spikehammer said:
If the EC300 is in good nick and going for the right price rip his arm off. They are a great bike for little money. They make a lot of power but are not 'peaky' like the equivilent KTM's.
The build quality is not up to KTM standards but with the money you'll save you'll have more than enough to do the little bits that need doing.

Are you stalking me??!! :eek: :eek:

Very good buy if in good nick. Much more rideable than the KTM 300. Advert doesn't say which suspension is under it, some have Ohlins, some WP and some Sachs rear Marzocchi front (IIRC)
Paul (Skippy) had an ex Juan Knight 300, and we used to swap regularly (mine was a 450 Husaberg). It was one of my favourite bikes, immense fun to ride and if I were to hanker after a smoker again, it would be very high on the list. If this bike has been looked after as well as it reads, then it sounds like a good buy. Not the ideal steed for extended road work though, but great for awakening your hooligan side :D
HTH
Mark

I have the same bike you are looking @ & i love it . Very easy to work on + main importer is in buxton about 8 mile from my house :D

Back
Top Bottom