Wiring and Additional BM Power Socket

Andy Hird

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm fitting an 1150 beak to my 1100, and want to wire in an additional power socket to it like on the Adventure, so I can plug devices in near the handelbars.

Can anyone tell me how to do it, and possibly include phots od diagrams ??

Many Thanks,

Andy

Piece of cake matey, fit two while your'e at it, the sockets are available from Farnells in Leeds mail order part number 658-431 Din Skt for BMW, 658-674 Din plug for BMW, the sockets come with waterproof covers.

Take the tank off, Drill a 10mm hole in the left side of the beak and open it up to a slot so the socket won't spin around, wire directly to the battery terminals with an in line fuse of 5 amps or so, Make a short cable to connect to the battery terminal and on the other end fit a 3 or 4 way terminal strip so you can add other things like satnav and stuff without having to disconnect the battery. Be sure to use decent cable, 2.5mm braided speaker cable is good.

Its no more effort to fit two than it is one.

or buy an adventure power socket loom - it runs from the same connection that the original socket runs off, (down by the starter motor), and leads up to where the ADV socket is mounted in the beak .

Or add a socket under the RID unit, using a K series mount.

Looks like a bit of rust on that self tapper :nono

:D

Steptoe said:
or buy an adventure power socket loom - it runs from the same connection that the original socket runs off, (down by the starter motor), and leads up to where the ADV socket is mounted in the beak .

Or add a socket under the RID unit, using a K series mount.

Thanks Steptoe,

I like the sound of the adventure loom, any idea where I can get one and how much ??

Cheers,

Andy :thumb

Andy Hird said:
Thanks Steptoe,

I like the sound of the adventure loom, any idea where I can get one and how much ??

Cheers,

Andy :thumb

If Steptoe hasn't broken a ADV recently, take a look at the Max BMW parts fiche for the ADV here and go to "Vehicle Electrical System". The first picture is "Retrofit kit, socket" although it's a socket down by the exhaust mount apparently. Further down, in the "Cable harness" picture is the dual headed "Cable for socket" I think the great man refers to - Part Number 61 13 2 316 114 for US$17.40. Max BMW is great for this sort of bollox. BMW or Motorworks will supply against that part number, I think, and give you a UK£ price.

trotsky said:
If Steptoe hasn't broken a ADV recently, take a look at the Max BMW parts fiche for the ADV here and go to "Vehicle Electrical System". The first picture is "Retrofit kit, socket" although it's a socket down by the exhaust mount apparently. Further down, in the "Cable harness" picture is the dual headed "Cable for socket" I think the great man refers to - Part Number 61 13 2 316 114 for US$17.40. Max BMW is great for this sort of bollox. BMW or Motorworks will supply against that part number, I think, and give you a UK£ price.

Thanks Ian,

And thanks for the info on the manual also. I've had to put the Adventure on hold for the minute as I'm separating from the wife. If I get the house, then the 1100 stays, if I lose the house, then Adventure here I come !! :clap
Cheers,
Andy

Andy Hird said:
Anyone know where I can get the Adventure loom and at what price ?

Ring Motorworks on 0845 458 0077 with that part number up there and they should be able to give you a price. If you explain what you want they might even be able to tell you if they have a second hand one, or if there are other bits you need. Desperately helpful people, can't knock them for service.

Hmm, SWMBO or a bike, SWMBO or a bike... Have to go with SWMBO I think, but then again she does encourage me to buy the damn things.

Go Here the item you want is #4 in the exploded fiche diagram, the part number is listed. I got mine from my local BMW dealer, can't remember how much but they are not expensive.

trotsky said:
Ring Motorworks on 0845 458 0077 with that part number up there and they should be able to give you a price. If you explain what you want they might even be able to tell you if they have a second hand one, or if there are other bits you need. Desperately helpful people, can't knock them for service.

Hmm, SWMBO or a bike, SWMBO or a bike... Have to go with SWMBO I think, but then again she does encourage me to buy the damn things.

Ian,

You my friend are one of the lucky ones then. Thanks for the info from yourself and Lord Snooty :clap
Andy

Back
Top Bottom