Final Drive swap 1150gs

grampsjp

G'day from japan.

First of all congrats to Wales and England on giving the wobblies a right deserved towelling ! Wallabies looking good for the next WC - the only way is up from here ;)
Secondly , just thought I'd share a few observations about the final drive - bevel box?- i just swapped out on my 1150GS 2002. Was lucky enough to find a 33/11 drive from a 97 R1100R used for 45 quid - no sterling key on japanese kb.
Done 16K kilometres only. At last I have a happy GS.
I always thought the gearing too tall stock - clutch was ok when I got used to it stock but always seemed pretty
problematic offroad in first. This replacement drive has made the bike what I wanted - first and second a good bit lower and the tall 6th is finally usable at legal roadspeeds. All over I'd say this is close to the gearing
the 1150 should have had from the beginning. Swapout is a piece of cake as everything just slotted in - had to use the original 1150 spline but no problem.
Wasn't able to replce the silly rear plastic bit but no loss :bounce1
All in all I;m a happy camper with 1150r hbars , custom titanium muffler and the new drive. Bike is so much lighter and easy to ride - which is important when you ride like george gregan linebreak !
cheers :beer:

Hi There,

Hope youre well in the land of the rising sun.
I'm interested to know what difference the mod has made to the acceleration and top speed, mine will barely do a ton, but then I have panniers and topbox all the time.
Any help much appreciated
John

Looked for guidelines covering 'posting of horribly exciting horny naked japanese girlies out of kimono" - search returned no results? please advise.

John my bike is snappy in all gears much, much faster .Well actually I think the gears have been evened out which doesn't sound right but I reckon I can accelerate much more evenly through the gears without feeling one gear is less snappy than another - if that makes sense.
Don;t know if it;s coz I;m riding faster but the mod has been just amazing on acceleration. Had it up to over the ton with more left. Seemes to be no effect on top speed just much more useable daily ride torque available.

cheers

Hey Man

Thank you for the reply,,, I gather it just feels better!!!!
Perhaps I will persue this as I do agree with you 1st and 6th are to tall, perhaps this will even them out. I shall consult THE BOOK!!.
Thanks for the help
John

Back
Top Bottom