car question

beacon

Reaction score
Don't laugh at this will you!! but is it possable to charge a car battery useing the cig lighter, a bit like the power socket on the GS?

Yes, so long as the cigarette lighter socket remains live when the ignition is switched off. Even if it doesn't you could probably do it with the ignition switched on but then you risk having an added drain on the battery while you're charging it.

Yes.

You can even get a solar powered one to charge up the battery whilst the car is parked. Handy if you have an alarm that might run the battery down

and live in Africa :)

any details on the solar one and anyone used one? I have a camper, with so little holidays I never get to use it...... .and the battery is always dead on me.

Demon Tweeks

As I don't use my motors most of the time, I used to get a problem with the batteries draining. I purchased a solar charger unit that comes with either a cig plug and an adapter that uses crocodile clips so you can go direct to the battery terminals. I used one on the Landy, and then bought another for the Ginetta. As it lives in a garage I cut a slot in the door and plated it with perspex to keep n waterproof. Keeps everything charged.

Now here's a question, does anyone know if a solar charger would charge the R1200GS if direct onto the battery terminals? :nenau

Schtum said:
Yes, so long as the cigarette lighter socket remains live when the ignition is switched off.

thanks a lot for that, i dont think many do stay live so I,ll give it a check tomorrow, the solar ones not much good for me as I want to do it over night!! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom