1100GS Clutch Problem - in Pakistan

Namastebuzz

Just crossed from Iran into Pakistan/Baluchistan. The clutch seems to be slipping a bit?

When you're in 4th or 5th and whack open the throttle real fast the revs climb steeply but the speed doesn't - then the revs drop and speed catches up. Works ok if you open throttle normally.

No other symptoms as yet - fine in other gears and round town on hills etc.

Question is - how long will it last and what needs replacing? Need to stop in Islamabad for 5 days so could do it there.

Make sure you have some slack in the cable,it might just be that,or something not letting the actuation arm travel as far as it should.If it's not either of those things,it's either a seal on the gearbox,or the clutch is dying,in which case,it all has to come to bits.If it's a seal,you normally get a bit of oil weeping from the joint between the engine and gearbox.Hope that helps a bit,good luck :beer:

Thanks - I'll check those options out.

Thing is - my big sister happens to be in Islamabad on business in a few days so she could bring bits out.

Your symptoms sounds exactly what I had and it was lack of slack on my clutch cable. As Vern describes - make sure you have the slack in the cable and in my case the slipping disappeared immediately. Mines a '99 R1100GS with 87,000km on the clock now. Same clutch cable since new.

Not just slack in the cable - but you must have play/movement in the clutch arm on the rear of the gearbox - The adjuster is on the arm

Freeplay should be around 5mm-7mm.

Could be the gear box seal leaking oil into cluch chamber making it slippy or just clutch wares out.

If it's not the freeplay, then quickly order new clutch kit and seal both - you'll have to throw into bits, so better to have both once you're there.

Good luck and happy travels, keep us posted!

Cheers, Margus :beerjug:

What they all said above. Good luck. Oh and while you are in Pakistan could you nip around to all the call centers and burn them down. Particularly HSBC.
Thanks. :D :D

Noddy said:
What they all said above. Good luck. Oh and while you are in Pakistan could you nip around to all the call centers and burn them down. Particularly HSBC.

Feckin HERE HERE,shall we organise a burn the call centre rally

Noddy said:

while i applaud this suggestion, especially the singling out of the Highly Shonky Banking Corporation, aren't the call centres actually in india?

Yeah,but where's the angry crowd mentality in going to the right country,jeeez,we can't let a little thing like that get in the way of a good riot.We could start it off,and then blame India anyway,after all,they're not the best of friends,they might do the job for us,you never know :thumb

if you're really , really stuck - remove the starer motor and spray some degreaser like brake cleaner onto the clutch plates to wash the oil out. ( i've used petrol before but i'm sure you realise how dangerous this is ( :eeek ) as i'm aware you're in pakistan and not parked next to Halfords :)

This may keep you going for a while

If you ned local help then yer best bet is in Horozoins Unlimited. I know there is a 'local community' in Delhi. And from meory a bm tool equiped mechanic somewheres in india. But if it is a seal then get the parts sent out now, any mechanic will be able to put new ones in .. and they are cheaper there too (the mechanic.. not the parts)!

If you have a scored shaft .. well a new seal will hold a while. At least until you get to a bm equiped mechanic. And you'll need a new shaft $$$

when i had the same symptoms i sprayed a lot of WD40 up the clutch pushrod assembly (as far as thats possible :rolleyes: ).
there was a lot of muck up there which lead to confusion -i couldnt tell without a stripdown, was the problem the clutch _plate_ or the moving parts that lead _UP TO_ the plate?
this helped as, after spraying the WD it got better...for a while.
in the end i sussed it was the pushrod seal getting jammed and a worn pushrod NOT the clutch plate.

hope this is of some help, Good Luck.

Og

Vern said:
Yeah,but where's the angry crowd mentality in going to the right country,jeeez,we can't let a little thing like that get in the way of a good riot.We could start it off,and then blame India anyway,after all,they're not the best of friends,they might do the job for us,you never know :thumb

If any of you watch Futurama [from the makers of The Simpsons]...then you will know what I mean when I say that sounds like a typical comment from Bender [the robot]. Had me chuckling on that Vern :thumb

Thanks everyone for the help - seems a bit more slack in the clutch cable was the (simple) answer.

Bike still going strong otherwise - apart from my stupid Touratech Rallye Computer developing a mind of its own now and again.

If I can get hold of some matches I'll have a look for some of those call centres.......

Namastebuzz said:
If I can get hold of some matches I'll have a look for some of those call centres.......

Very glad your clutch is ok :thumb :thumb

Don't worry about the call centres, we found they had a secret bunker in Hemel Hempstead and we are on the case. :D :D

Merry Christmas from Kathmandu.

14000k with no accidents, punctures or breakdowns.

Just my BMW topbox mount snapping in N India. Mended with the help of a local mechanic with some wire and good as new.

It's nice to know there's a whole host of helpful know-it-alls on these forums for advice. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom