new here and asking questions already....

Roadhog

Hello all, I've just joined. I've been visiting this site for a while now and it seemed a good idea as I'm about to buy a GSA. I've been wanting a GS ever since I learned to ride on an R80GS a long long time ago. I've had several bikes since but never managed to own a BM. That said, my current XTZ 750 hasn't been out of the garage since my first son arrived. He's seven and rides a KTM (lucky boy?), his little brother is currently waiting for his legs to grow long enough so he can ride his PW50 so I thought it was about time dad showed them what a real bike looked like.
I'm about to throw my money (€9300ish) at a 2003 GSA, one owner, 8200km, 20L tank,silver with black seat, pristine and bog standard from a BMW Main dealer in Germany, is this wise? I know the clocks read km and the headlight will point to the wrong side but I figured a German bike imported from Germany by a German (don't mention the war, 5:1 or 1966!) was OK? If anyone knows of or has a similar priced UK bike I'd like to hear from them.
Anyway, questions:
1) can anybody recommend a decent insurance company/broker?
2) as this is a return to biking after some time I might benefit from some refresher training, any suggestions? I don't care if someone might think it a bit 'girlie' (apologies to any and all girls!), I personally think you're never too old to learn.
3) Do I need a paypal account to become a site sponsor, I tried earlier but the only payment option was paypal unless I missed something?
4) Am I likely to experience any problems at my local BMW agent for turning up with an import? My local Yamaha place was never very happy with me having a french import.
I think that's enough to start with, I'll look forward to any replies.
Roadhog

1 e-bike link above
2 dunno, but most areas have advanced training, try Rospa or even an off road jobbie
3 yes you need a paypal account, but other than that i would think a mod will be along to sort something out as i dont know :nenau
4 should be no problems, they were bult to travel and many members have imports

Welcome :thumb

Hello Roadhog,
Welcome to the site..... :beerjug:
That`s a shedload of questions,most of which I`ll leave to others to answer,but the one about Sponsoring I will answer for you......

You don`t need a Paypal account.

The info should be in the FAQ`s or found by clicking on the red text worded 'Forum Sponsor' below a person`s name...mine,for instance.

If you have difficulties,click on 'Contact Us' and send an Email to PaulG.

Thanks for the luke warm welcome chaps, I think I'll buy myself a KTM instead....... :rolleyes:

Welcome fellow East-Anglian.

The war?
5:1?
1966?

No idea what you're talking about....;)

As previously mentioned, ebikeinsurance are very cheap, and you could also try BMW insurance through any BMW dealer, Bennetts, or Carole Nash.

No reason why a dealer should turn his nose up at in import - he can still charge you shedloads of money, regardless of the bikes origins :D

Roadhog said:
Thanks for the luke warm welcome chaps, I think I'll buy myself a KTM instead....... :rolleyes:

What do you mean by that ?? :rolleyes:

For training look out for the County Council/Police run courses, they're cheap they go through a lot and end up with a proper riding assesment.

Hope this is of some help to you Roadhog.

1) When I insured my 03 GS Adventure, I found BMW themselves competitive. There is litlle point in me telling you what I pay for fully comp insurance, as the premiums vary considerably from 1 postcode area to another for exactly the same bike, same points on your licence etc :D

2) Trust me there is nothing to be ashamed of in taking an advanced course. I've done one and just wish i'd done one 11 years ago when I first started riding. I have never achieved the 100% perfect ride, although I don't seem to get the "Oh Shiiiiiiit" moments now. Contact your local Police authority, and ask about Bikesafe courses. The one I did 2 years ago lasted about an hour, but they proved so popular that certainly in Wales they now do weekend courses, which are well attended. According to the official BIKESAFE website you need to write to: Norfolk Constabulary Motorcycle Unit, Operations and Communications Centre, Harts Farm Road, Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 0WW. It says that the cost is £25 but I don't know if that is up to date. Even if it was double that, I would still do it.

3) You DO NOT have to have a Paypal Account to become a sponsor. I haven't got one, and just post my cheque to the big boss aka Paul BHT- job done.

4) I have no experience of imports, but can't see why a dealer would be sniffy when you bear in mind that a) every GS is an import and b) they offer a service. We can all shop around for a dealer we are happy with.

5) KTM? Couldn't possibly comment, but I know my Adventure still floats my boat, and gives me a thrill every time I get on it. :D :D

Back
Top Bottom