Stainless steel wheel spindle

Vern

Toy maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to make myself a stainless steel wheel spindle,because I'm fed up with the scabby original.Anyone else interested.I haven't got a clue how much they'll cost,'cos I don't pay for stuff like that:D But if enough people want one,then I'm sure I can get a good deal for you.It's really tough being a bored engineer sometimes.

Vern,

if you're really bored, how about trying to knock up something like this to prevent the oil-level sight-glass from popping out?

Steve.

Attachments

• sightglass.jpg
    sightglass.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,209
Vern said:
.It's really tough being a bored engineer sometimes.

Let play some intercontinental "ping pong" someday,i get bore my self,even if I have a thousend projects going..

what about some friendlly intersite contest,"a la junk yard wars"
in betwen the ukGS forum and ADVrider,just for fun..

I like the way you think,always looking for answers,you are my kind of people,for sure

Vern,

In the past I've seen two stainless spindles that have sheared through. I also ended up sliding down the road when my stainless mudguard stays, on a BSA, sheared through dropping the mudguard onto the wheel. If you use the right grade stainless I would be interested.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,I hope you took the offending items back,and rammed them up the arse of whoever made them.God alone knows what kind of crap they were made of,did they come from an auto jumble by any chance?were they cheap?did you get your money back out of the corpses pocket?I've no time for these people that make crap stuff and sell it on to the public,makes me mad as hell.Anyway,if I make it,it won't break:D

Vern,

The wheel spindles were not mine but the front mudguard stays were...unfortunatly I made them Doh!

have you got a 'ball park' figure for the spindles? the salt got to mine and it's looking very ropey.

Rob,not a price at the moment, but as you're the only one interested, I'll see if I can get two done at the same time. I doubt it will cost anything if it's a common grade stainless and there's a bit lying around the workshop, maybe a couple of quid if there none about.I'll let you know.
You wait and see how many people want one for a couple of quid now.

hmmmmm does that include p&p

mutter mutter mutter bah humbug

:D :D

And as if by magic! what did I say,what did I say. Scurrelllll, what's that sight glass anti popper outer bolted to,and has yours popped out recently. I'll see what I can do with the wheel spindles. If they're really cheap, I can make them out of any old crap, you won't mind will you:D
The hunt for brake bolts continues,w/e stops play.

Vern,

the bolts that hold the EVO calipers on are 32mm M8. I'll have the info on the ones that hold the calipers together later in the week.

Cheers

MikeO :)

Vern said:
what's that sight glass anti popper outer bolted to,and has yours popped out recently.

Dunno mate. The pic was originally posted by Greg Masters, and he found it somewhere on the net.
Don't know anyone whos sight glass has popped out, but there are reports of it happening. Just thought that it's not something I would like to happen.

The hunt for brake bolts continues,w/e stops play.

Did you see the stress info I added to your bolt thread? Hope it means something to you.

Spindle

Hi Vern
Count me in on one of those spindles whatever the cost - lets not be silly though

Al

It's my train set and I'll be as silly as I want, Thankyou very much. I've priced the wheel spindles at £1000000, so when the price comes down,you'll all think you're getting a real bargin:D

Hi Vern

Vern said:
It's my train set and I'll be as silly as I want, Thankyou very much. I've priced the wheel spindles at £1000000, so when the price comes down,you'll all think you're getting a real bargin:D

I just knew you`d be silly - you left out the decimal point, souldn`t that be £1.000000 !!

Al and a double :D :D

Stainless Steel Wheel Spindle

Don't do it, any self respecting engineer knows that Stainless is no where near as strong as High tensile steel, thats why the manufacturer doesn't make their spindles from stainless.
Yes it looks pretty, but if you want to risk a real wobbler down the outside lane of the M6 then go ahead. Oh and by the way watch out for that public liability insurance jobby!
Why not just clean the spindle more frequently, coat it with a smear of chain wax or better still paint it with clear lacquer. At least you'll be assured its not about to let go. Titanium now thats a different thing all together and far more 'trick'. Don't forget the public liability insurance, accident found to be caused by non-standard parts being fitted. Sorry to spoil your fun.

Back
Top Bottom