What GS bits are essential?

James

Hi everyone,
My lovely wife is going to buy me a GS for my 40th at the end of the year (Yes she does spoil me!). I am new to BMW's and would like advice on whether the essential bits my BMW Dealer tells me I must have like: Heated Grips, ABS, Adventurer Screen etc etc are best bought from source or obtained elsewhere? I would also ask whether there are any other goodies I MUST have for the bike whilst my wifes got her cheque book out?

Not sure about the essentials but if your wife is ever thinking about a change in husband would you ask her to give me a ring!!!!:D :D :D :D

Errrr James,
Have you looked at the
GS Mods
and
Equipment and toys
forums yet??

Hope you're in no hurry to place your order, because you're not going to be done reading all about GS kit the first few days!

And don't forget to :bow Thank the Lord for a wife like that!

Welcome to the Amazing World of GS Toys, heheh :beerjug:

Greetings,
Michel

James . . . if you're going to have ABS and Heated grips then the ABS has to be ordered with the bike. It's best to order the heated grips with the bike as well - you get a lot more for your money than the grips (switch gear, more powerful alternator and battery etc). You will not save money or get better after-market. Get BMW handguards as well. You can by Touratech ones later but the BMW ones look good, work, and aren't expensive.

Don't bother with the Adventure screen. You will read plenty about screens on this BB and there's no guarantee the Adventure screen will suit you any more than the standard screen (plus it's not adjustable).

Other BMW options are largely cosmetic (black engine, clear indicator lenses with orange bulbs, etc.). It's worth getting pannier rails fitted even if you don't buy panniers straight away - you can often pick up good BMW panniers for the GS 2nd hand. Don't buy BMW engine bars, the aftermarket offerings are better.

Beyond that, I have spent £3,000 on my GS in the past two years on extras for performance, comfort, and aesthetics, including accessories such as the Adventure beak extension and headlamp stoneguard, spotlights, custom-made seat, new exhaust system, footpeg lowers, crash-bars, Baglux harness and tankbag, braided steel brake hoses, bigger screen, etc etc. You will do likewise. It's an addiction.

Change the horn. The stock item is crap.
Put side panels on. Fills in the missing link.
Change the oil filler plug for a tamper proof item. Stops you getting sand poured into your sump.
Buy an oil cooler cover to ... er ... protect the oil cooler.
Buy mudflaps for the cylinders to keep your boots clean.
Get a topbox to complement yer panniers.
Spotlights because the stock items aren't man enough for the job.
Ohlins suspension because the twiddly bit on the nearside says so much about yer bank balance.
Baglux set up to protect your tank from everyday scratches and carry a map holder.
Exhaust sysem for obvious reasons.

Thats about two grand to start with, James .... once you've been through that lot get back to us ....

Welcome to the clan, you won't be disappointed !!

:beerjug:

FEK!!! Forgot GPS .... another grand ......

First thing james Happy 40th:hpbirthda I bought my gs as my own pressie ,so you are doing well if your wife is getting it.
As everyone says if you become addicted like some;) You will need a few quid but just do your research on what items you ou may like.
Start collecting now this site is good for used parts
;) but you have to quick with this lot.
See you around in Lancs!

James,

How long is a piece of String........especially if it a Carbon Fibre String.

............it goes on forever and is, as said earlier, an addiction!

No one has yet come up with a cure or story as to how to go though 'Cold Turkey'

Do what you like.......it's your Baby.........

CC

;)

Follow Simon's advice - get the factory fitted stuff as you want it.

Colour, ABS and heated grips are essential choices. Panniers are better value from the factory than aftermarket.

Just make sure that your missus writes you a cheque for around £1-2k for other essential goodies!

:)

Greg

James, look after her ( your wife I mean) you have a rare and wonderfull person.

lucky b*stard - treated myself to my second gs on my 40th. never should have sold the first !

see you on the road - yorkshire ain't that far away you know......

keith

:beer:

James queried thus: What GS bits are essential?

1. GS

2. Ignition key...

3. Road

( No 3 is optional, depending on your insanity quotient)

Welcome to the loony bin:D

P

Decent Tyres - unless BMW have changed the OEM ones.

Dennis
Ride Safe and Enjoy....

There are no OEM tyres . . . GSs come from the factory shod in T66s, or Trailwings, or Tourances, or even Distanzias in some countries.
Specify at purchase/order that you want Tourances. This is not an optional extra and should not cost any more. Some dealers even keep stocks of Tourances for the growing number of customers in the know who insist on them. I know of one dealer, for example, who has been known to swap Tourances for Trailwings on a new customer bike and then put the Tourances on that of another customer who requested them at order.

James, if the wifes paying - Get EVERYTHING!

But Beware buying the bikes is a mere bagatelle (? whatever that is) You must order the Touratech catalogue NOW and get all the essential extras (basically everything that fits on your model).

Can we clone your wife? or perhaps she could give coaching to ours?

Think about the 'sport' 6th gear instead of the usual 'overdrive' 6th. This is a no-cost option but obviously once you've made your choice you're stuck with it.

You'll get better roll-on acceleration on typical A roads/overtaking etc. Fuel economy doesn't suffer noticably. The overdrive 6th is only really better for fast motorway cruising IMHO.

The lower 1st gear (option on Adventure only) is great too.

Anyone out there know where these side panels can be ordered from? I've seen them on a few bikes parked at a bike show lately, but the owners weren't around.

Back
Top Bottom