4 pot caliper on 82 g/s

jdtg06

Has anyone fitted a 4 pot caliper to an early g/s (model with the caliper behind the forks) ?

I'm playing with a 4 pot from a k, the mounting lugs are ~5mm out and the offset is wrong so I am fixing that with some 8mm steel plate. I was just wondering if there is an easy way ?

the G/S I am not sure but Motobins/works sell an adapted K caliper that fits direct for around 100gbp. Not much help if you already have the caliper - perhaps you could ask them directly or they might do the mod for you?

I tried that one but that doesn't fit either, the early g/s has different forks and caliper mountings :(

I Have put a 4 pot caliper on my 84 r80g/s and can give you the relevent information if you want ...Made a big difference

I'd be interested to know how you did it, I ended up making an adapter out of steel plate, I'll post a picture when I get a minute.

The caliper i used was off a yamaha fzr1000. I made a ally adapter plate to make it fit It works very well (much better than the 4 pot brembo did on my 100gs) I am still using the stainless disc and 2 finger braking is fine..Will email some pics if you are interested

I would be interested in seeing how you installed the Yamaha caliper. Did you come across it by chance or are there others that you considered?

Here is how I mounted the brembo 4 pot. The mounting lugs on the calliper are about 5mm away from bolting straight on, the plate is also spaced off the lugs on the forks by 8mm.

I would look for a better fitting caliper if I were doing it again (I already had the 4 pot handy so thats what went on)

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 380
Thanks for taking the trouble to put this image up. I guess that its a juggling job to find a caliper is not too close to the original mountings so that there is enough space for the bracket without getting too far from the mounting points which exposes the caliper and reduces its stability.

Picture of fzr1000 caliper on my 84 r80g/s

Attachments

• bmwc.jpg
    bmwc.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 347
Mmm, that's quite neat. What size master cylinder are you using with that caliper ? I may be going back into the garage !

Have tried both 13mm and 12mm with the caliper both work fine...you get a firmer feel with the 13mm and thats the one i use but a 12mm would do. The adapter plates are made of ally so are not to heavy. When mates with modern bikes had a go on the bike they always used to comment on the lack of brakes before i fitted the 4 pot. Now they don,t say anything about the brakes. It not only stops well it gives good feel unlike the wooden brembo does. I put a 4 pot brembo on my gs100 and it did not work anywhere as good as this conversion.If you want much better brakes on a 100 and dont mind the look of the fzr caliper i eyed it up on that bike to and i recon you could fit the same caliper ( other side ) much neater due to the fact it's infront of the fork leg. They are also a fraction of the price of a 4 pot brembo. If you want to go this route on your 80 i could possibly machine the ally adapter plates for you

Tried And Tested

I Have now give the brake a good old test in the Pyrennes 2 up at that and it worked fine .... Sebenrock 1000cc kit and the four pot 2 of the best mods i did on her
brake.jpg

Excellent - anyone have any idea if the mounting brackets are different on the G/S versus 100GS? It looks very good!

Where is the foto taken by the way?

bob

PS have just seen the HarleyD cavalcade in Barca - very impressive.

Photo does not do the place justice...It is close to the Spanish Andorra boarder and that hill i just rode down is steep !...The r100 gs is not the same as the old monolever ...I recon you could make a neater job fitting the caliper on a paralever mind you...A shot in the other direction

p4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom