Standard BMW handle bar bend?

Hambo

Would anyone know what the dimensions are of the standard GS handlebar? It may seem a stupid question, but it's not as easy to meaure as you may think.

I can't get along with the sweep of the bars, far too excessive for me, therefore I'm looking to replace them with aftermarket alloy bars together with some suitable risers. I'm therefore after the standard dimensions as a reference point.

Cheers, Hambo

Hambo, this mayseem like an equally stupid answer but... have you tried adjusting the forward/backward angle of the bars? Pushing them forward should have the effect of reducing the sweep-back.

I can't answer your initial question and would have thought only BWM know the answer.

GJ

Don't know the measurements of the standard bars, as mine went in a skip! The way to measure as I see it, is that the "sweep" of the bars is the angle that the bar describes compared to a straight line across the front of the bars. The "rise" of the bars is the height from the clamp to the top of the bar. If you can get hold of a Renthal catalogue, it will explain it far better than I. It will also give you some idea as to what to replace them with. The main problem is that few of the aftermarket bars "rise" as much as the BMW ones, putting bar risers on was my answer to that.
HTH
Mark

GlynnJ said:
Hambo, this mayseem like an equally stupid answer but... have you tried adjusting the forward/backward angle of the bars? Pushing them forward should have the effect of reducing the sweep-back.

makes the grip section stick up like cowhorns. hopeless, i've tried it.

you may like an R1100R (i think it is) bar that others have fitted.

This may help......

Attachments

• ScreenShot033.jpg
    ScreenShot033.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 215
Try the 1150R bars . straightforward replacement, and you can keep the heated grips - maybe not such an issue in Malaysia :D

cookie said:
makes the grip section stick up like cowhorns. hopeless, i've tried it.

you may like an R1100R (i think it is) bar that others have fitted.

OK, Cookie, as I said, it was a stupid answer - sorry! :D

GlynnJ said:
OK, Cookie, as I said, it was a stupid answer - sorry! :D

don't apologise, seems like a good idea.

you weren't stupid enough to try it. i did :eek

This is probably completly irrelevant, but it just might be worth a look here or you could take a look at this American site who sell alternative handlebars for BMWs (and other bikes too) and they have dimensions and angles for handlebars for you to get an idea of how they are measured. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom