Hydraulic clutch ? check this

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is a metal "u" pipe thats part of the hydraulic clutch line, it sits at the back of the gearbox attached to the clutch slave cylinder. It gets covered in crap, and it's unprotected.

And it ends up in this condition, weeping fluid - from a 3 year old bike :eek:

This is the condition it should be in.

Neil it might be me, but I've not been able to view your photos. Is it just because I'm not in the clique?

it should have a plastic coating on it from new IMO.

I've got a 10 yr old Mitsibushi Pajero that has coated brake and clutch lines that still look like new - and thats supposed to be an off-roader too.

Cheap BMW :mmmm

The ADV clutch line is stainless braided hose, with stainless banjo fittings. That's what i've got on the shelf waiting to put on my bike :thumb

motomartin said:
it should have a plastic coating on it from new IMO.

I've got a 10 yr old Mitsibushi Pajero that has coated brake and clutch lines that still look like new - and thats supposed to be an off-roader too.

Cheap BMW :mmmm

A man of taste then....

I have one as well. 3.5 V6 24 valve SWB.

Sorry .... off topic i know. :hide :D

hijack...hehe!

:cool: (Good post btw sTeptoe)

heres my 10 year old..

Attachments

• dartmoor 55.jpg
    dartmoor 55.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,339
mines a bit similar to that - bigger tyres and 'Roo Bar :)

Attachments

• pajero -rhsfront-- underground garage sml.jpg
    pajero -rhsfront-- underground garage sml.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,378
Steptoe,
you are a Star, pointing this out, many thanks, I will check mine at the week-end,
Happy Christmas,
Barrie.

Barrie said:
Steptoe,
you are a Star, pointing this out, many thanks, I will check mine at the week-end,
Happy Christmas,
Barrie.

having said that, I found mine a bit loose a couple of months ago. Too many vibrations...

Steptoe
Get down the Doctor soonest, those hands of yours look very nasty indeed :eek:

harry said:
Steptoe
Get down the Doctor soonest, those hands of yours look very nasty indeed :eek:

I was thinking the same. A bit of my Nans Atrixo hand cream might help. :D

Steptoe said:
It gets covered in crap, and it's unprotected.
I found mine ('02 R1150R) in the same condition. The problem is not crap that collects on the fitting but rather the rubber tube that "protects it". Water gets ingested at the top of the tube while the bottom end of the tube is sealed by the fitting. The water can stay there for years, literally. I made sure that the water can now drain from the bottom.

Bugger just checked mine (2001) and its the same rusty condition but no sign of it weeping yet, but I must keep an eye on it. I didn't notice it when I had the gear position sensor out at the begining of the year.

Looks a bit of a Barsteward to get in to replace it though.:(

Arbreacames said:
I found mine ('02 R1150R) in the same condition. The problem is not crap that collects on the fitting but rather the rubber tube that "protects it". Water gets ingested at the top of the tube while the bottom end of the tube is sealed by the fitting. The water can stay there for years, literally. I made sure that the water can now drain from the bottom.

just checked mine, and that appears to be an accurate description of the problem.

i stuck a long screwdriver inside the rubber sleeve & a tablespoon of water came out :eek:

my fitting does not look completely shagged but i think i'll have a better look in the daylight. i intend wire brushing & greasing the fitting (if i can get at it), then blowing the rubber tube out with an airline & sending down some WD40, then sealing the top :)

notadrop said:
Is it visible/accessable without removing anything?
Paul

just visible from LHS of the bike. slightly better access obtained by removing the rear shock pre-load adjuster.

looks like the fuse box and/or the swing arm would have to come out to get at it properly :yikes is that right anyone?

Checked Mine and it looks OK. Thanks for the heads up Neil

Looks like a right old bugger to replace though!!

Clutch.JPG

cookie said:
looks like the fuse box and/or the swing arm would have to come out to get at it properly :yikes is that right anyone?

Just need remove the rear shock, and undo the slave unit ( ball ended socket hex) . If you want to really get at it, undo the other end of the clutch line at the master cylinder, and pull it through to get at it, but don't pull it the whole way through, or you'll regret it :D ;) .

keyhole surgery

had a better look at mine today. in my case, it seems the crimped ferrule fixing the banjo union to the pipe is the only bit showing any corrosion. this was under the sleeving & could not be seen without pushing the sleeve back with a very long screwdriver.

this is the view from LHS with preload adjuster removed, shock still fitted, not that motivated to remove it :)

union can just be glimpsed from RHS. rust coloured ferrule visible

awkward location required "special" tool. note verns zip ties :)

brush light corrosion off with this end

slit rubber sleeve with this end to allow water to drain in future

blow out other end at front of tank with the air line, squirt some duck oil down & reapply airline. half an hour, job done.

actually, i'll probably zip tie the top of the sleeve to deter any water entry :thumb

Back
Top Bottom