Why isn't my battery charger doing its stuff??

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got a BWM battery charger.....
I plug it in to the mains, I plug the BWM socket into one of the two plugs on the adv and the power led comes on on the blue box.

That's it though...it doesn't charge and none of the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full LED's come on. (even after several days)

What gives ya reckon?? :nenau

Have you tried anything else in the socket to make sure it is not a wiring problem? (have seen corroded plugs before)

Yep.....Quest works fine and it's making contact 'cos the 'power' light only comes on when it's plugged in.

Hmm can't be a broken wire cos the socket stillpowers the quest..and i've tried both sockets.

If the battery was shagged it should show a fault on the BWM charger......

:nenau

I might try cleaning the socket properly though..maybe there's enough current passing to power the quest but not enough being allowed to flow to register on the charger.....

Fanum said:
Hmm can't be a broken wire cos the socket stillpowers the quest..and i've tried both sockets.

I meant a broken wire between the charging unit and the plug, or isn't it like the Optimate?

No, cos the power LED comes on so there must be a return path. :nenau

Never used an Optimate so I'm not familier with them.

If it`s anything like an Optimate,the very slightest amount of oxidisation or dirt on any point of contact will simulate a duff battery or even prevent it from working at all.

Thanks chaps...I might get a bit of sandpaper wrapped round a wooden spoon handle and go a-delving later to try and clean the contacts up inside ;)

You need the new improved version of the BMW charger as the old blue charger doesn't provide enough charge to keep the socket from shutting off.

All to do with the canbus system, shutting down control units that are not being used, so with the bule charger not enough charge is being being put through so the system thinks it's not being used & it shuts it down!!!

Professional Boxer said:
You need the new improved version of the BMW charger as the old blue charger doesn't provide enough charge to keep the socket from shutting off.

All to do with the canbus system, shutting down control units that are not being used, so with the bule charger not enough charge is being being put through so the system thinks it's not being used & it shuts it down!!!

It's an 1150 ADV ;) - keep it simple

Professional Boxer said:

Thanks......

(I'm quite hurt though...do I really look like the sort of person who's lower himself to owning a 1200?? ;) ;) )

1042R-8971.jpg

Dunno...I had to nip up to Telford today to pack the mothership........Haven't had a chance to poke around in me hole yet :)

Back
Top Bottom