ABS doesn't always engage....

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
When I rode my 1150GS less, I was used to the ABS not always engaging when I rode away as the manual says that it may not do so if the battery is low, and little use means low battery.

But...

Recently, (over the last week) I have used my bike lots and I might go for a ride with the ABS engaging when I pull away from home, but when I start up again at my destination it doesn't and I get the alternating red ABS lights flashing!!

I had ridden for about 45 mins yesterday, stopped for 15 mins and when I started up and left for home: again alternating warning lights and no clunk when I pulled away. Stopped the bike and turned the key off then on and then it started fine and engaged, clunk and all. Today the same, but the off/on trick did nothing. I pressed the ABS button once then started the bike and it was fine again :nenau .

What's going on. Is my bike faulty, or is there a knack? :(

Same thing happened to mine.

Result

Battery Kna**ed

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££3

sorry :(

I'm intrigued by the terminology "clunked" as I pull away?
Mines a 2003 servo ABS, can't say I've ever heard it clunk.

I'm intrigued by the terminology "clunked" as I pull away?
Mines a 2003 servo ABS, can't say I've ever heard it clunk.
That is interesting? I assumed they all did it. Expect Sir "fount of knowlege" Steptoe might know?
Re: the clunking, he is refering to the ABS "Auto check". When you first pull away and periodically during riding the ABS will check itself and it sounds like a loud clunk & crunching of gears. Same as when it activates for real. :)

Mine is more of a cross between a screech and a whirr?
OK, who`s going to record the noise and post it then :D
For the benefit of newbees who, like I did, think it might be a terminal mechanical failure noise :rolleyes:

mine could definitely be classed as a clunk.

As for the battery, yes it probably is knacked. Odyssey battery will probably set ya back around £75-80. Long life though.... :)

Ahh

Ahh, mine clunks too sometimes. If stationary at traffic lights with gears diengaged there is a noticable clunk after a minute or so. First time I thought I'd been shunted up the arse but have thought it was something to do with the clutch/gearbox assembly. ABS then mmmm :mmmm

essbee said:
Ahh, mine clunks too sometimes. If stationary at traffic lights with gears diengaged there is a noticable clunk after a minute or so. First time I thought I'd been shunted up the arse but have thought it was something to do with the clutch/gearbox assembly. ABS then mmmm :mmmm

Mine also clunks first time when I pull away and at traffic lights, but only as I pull away from standstill never when I am actually at a standstill.

Well, I went out for another spin today on my present delivering duties, and it did it again, so on the phone to Vines tomorrow. I'll see if its covered by the warranty and if so drop it off for them to fettle whilst I'm away in Estonia for my Christmas hols. £75 for a battery,eh? Why is it I could only ever imagine BMW having the nerve to price a battery so steep: Cheeky buggers....

When the battery voltage is below a certain level, the GS will automatically 'shed' its ability to power up the ABS at start.

I left my 1150 outside all year round, and even when nearly new the ABS wouldn't work immediately in winter. Have to say that stopping the engine, then restarting after a mile always worked.

Dunno whether you can justify the expense of a new Hawker Odyssey battery, or plug the bike into an 'Optimate' or similar. I used to just put up with it... until I bought a better battery.

Then I traded 'down' to an 80GS. The problem has never occured since then!! But I can't attempt 'stoppies' on ice anymore either.....

justin limmitz said:
When the battery voltage is below a certain level, the GS will automatically 'shed' its ability to power up the ABS at start.

if battery voltage drops below 10 volts at startup, ABS will not set.

you can check it with a multimeter across the battery terminals, then press the start button.

Perhaps I ride mine too much and the battery is always fully charged :D

ELIMINATOR said:
Perhaps I ride mine too much and the battery is always fully charged :D

your probably right as I never had this problem before but Im just back from holiday so the bike has sat in the garage for three weeks.

allan

It's always sounded to me like your center stand has been left down - and it's retracting as you ride off :D

Back
Top Bottom