How do you turn ABS on and off

mturneruk

How do you turn the ABS on and off. Just had a nasty little incident were i came off the bike. Inly light scratching but when i picked the bike off the red brake arning light is flashing a lot faster than usual and the servo assistance does not seem to be working. Was going to try turning the ABS on and off and see if that resets it. Anybody got any ideas ?

(P.S) anyone know where i can get a cheap rocker cover lol

What bike??

On some you have to reset by bridging out the terminals on a block under the seat, on others you can just turn it off, wait a few seconds and start up and it'll have reset.

As you've a 1200 GS make sure the right handguard is clear of the brake lever, and that nothing is holding the rear brake pedal down = on. It either happens the servo / abs doesn't work as normal. HTH.

Cheers

Thans guys yeah it is a r1200gs picked it up on the day before christmas eve and just slid it down the road with only 95 miles on the clock! what a muppet! Had a look on internet and it looks about 155 quid for the new cylinder cover and a brake pedal. Could be the brake pedal causing it cause its all bent so will take it back to BMW if i cant fix it now. As far as i am aware you turn off the ABS by holding down the ABS button whilst you turn the ignition key on. is that right ?

mturneruk said:
Had a look on internet and it looks about 155 quid for the new cylinder cover and a brake pedal.

If you send an e-mail to me at john(at)armstrongj.wanadoo.co.uk - the (at) should be the @ - I might be able to help with a cheaper rocker cover!

John

Hi!

This is what you need to turn the ABS off! :D

;) Liv.

Attachments

• Avbitertang_s.jpg
    Avbitertang_s.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 135
I did the BMW off-road training last summer with friends. Late booking meant only 1200's available. Over two days I threw my machine down four times, 2 heavy and 2 step-off. My friends did similar.

On five occasions this same problem arose, and each time it was caused by the back brake lever bending so that the brake light switch thought that the lever was depressed. This "fools" the electronics and if you start the machine you have residual braking only - no servo. A tyre lever + "a few friends" to hold the bike sorted the problem.

Is there an after-market lever with a folding end section? That would stop this from happening on a RHS drop.

Yes

Turn off the ignition then hold the ABS button while you turn it on again. Servo works fine but no ABS.

Off road, trying to stop the bike with ABS working is a nightmare. Turning the ABS off only means that you need to think about your braking. We could stop suprisingly quickly even on loose ground.

2006 dates for the level 1 course are here

http://worldofbmw.com/content/offRoadSkills.asp?article=252

John

Back
Top Bottom