Hawker battery with Full Metal Jacket?

finglonga

Reaction score
I said in another thread my original battery was still going strong. OK I spoke too soon, the battery is on the way out, 4years is not too bad I suppose. Think the cold has killed it this year.

Now I am going to get a Hawker PC680, but have read on a few sites that they may need packing out to fit properly. I have noticed on Knight battery sales that there are two types.

This one

and This one

Both are the same price but one sports a trendy 'metal jacket', will this fit? Has anyone got either one and if so which one and how well does it fit. It is going on a 2001 1150gs with abs (non servo).

This is taken from the site.... "PC680MJ fitted with metal jacket for increased vibration and heat protection. Fits all Honda Goldwing (except GL1800) BMW motorcycles (except F650) most models of Moto Guzzi, Laverda some Ducati." This might be the answer but like to know your experiences first. :thumb

Basically I just want to know do i buy the basic 'Naked' version or the 'full metal jacket' version?

Thanks in advance. :beerjug:

Fitted standard Hawker and used a piece of E flute polysheet to pack narrowest width (similar to packaging used in garden centres instead of cardboard because its waterproof.also used as esate agents sign boards) Height was alright as strap holds down. Talk to Motorworks for exact battery to use as there is a difference dependant if ABS is fitted.
You will need to straighten the battery leads as the connecting screws go in vertically not horizontally as the original. Great Kit.

finglonga said:
I said in another thread my original battery was still going strong. OK I spoke too soon, the battery is on the way out, 4years is not too bad I suppose. Think the cold has killed it this year.

Now I am going to get a Hawker PC680, but have read on a few sites that they may need packing out to fit properly. I have noticed on Knight battery sales that there are two types.

This one

and This one

Both are the same price but one sports a trendy 'metal jacket', will this fit? Has anyone got either one and if so which one and how well does it fit. It is going on a 2001 1150gs with abs (non servo).

This is taken from the site.... "PC680MJ fitted with metal jacket for increased vibration and heat protection. Fits all Honda Goldwing (except GL1800) BMW motorcycles (except F650) most models of Moto Guzzi, Laverda some Ducati." This might be the answer but like to know your experiences first. :thumb

Basically I just want to know do i buy the basic 'Naked' version or the 'full metal jacket' version?

Thanks in advance. :beerjug:

PC680MJ

I ordered a PC680 and was sent the MJ one instead, so I just took the MJ off. I have to pack under the battery now. The other thing was the bolt on the black lead was hard wired so I got a earth extension lead about 4 inches long so I use the holes. I now have a proper connector for the lead. Just need to get a big crimper.

I got mine from here http://www.tayna.co.uk/item/3107/0/-page1.html

The PC680 is slightly narrower than the OE battery across the shortest dimension.

I padded out the battery box with part of the packing case.

I ordered my battery from Knight as they were the only place with stock when I needed one. Excellent service but there are a number of companies selling the battery cheaper now.

Westco

The westco is a gel battery just like the Hawker and is the same size as the original and has the right posts on it.

reading this, i'm begining to see why mine's tight now

i was sent the MJ version from motorworks, i thought they were all like that.

it fits...

...just :rolleyes:

Bought a bright red Hawker Odyssey PC680 for £58, of the shelf at,

CHESHIRE BATTERIES LIMITED CREWE 0044(0)1270 255493

Fits well and works great :thumb

Les Wassall said:
Bought a bright red Hawker Odyssey PC680 for £58, of the shelf at,

CHESHIRE BATTERIES LIMITED CREWE 0044(0)1270 255493

Fits well and works great :thumb

Thanks all and Cheers Les, I'l have a ride over ther next year and have a looksee, its not too far away so I will save on the postage.

Didn't realise the metal jacket came off. I might as well get one of those and see if it will fit, if not I can strip the bugger naked :eek:

:beerjug:

Well I got it, went for the Metal Jacket version and as Cookie said it is tight, but it fits. :clap

I got it from CHESHIRE BATTERIES LIMITED CREWE, but they have gone up in price :( , they are now £59.50. :D

It certainly starts alot better, even after I had scratched my head after it wouldn't run properly, then remembered to put the unseated throttle cable back and re-do the throttle position reset thingy. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info guys. :bow

:beerjug:

Down 'ere 'they' (the battery sellers) say that the metal jacket is required for motorcycles. Apparently on some bikes (HDs) the battery gets hot (exhaust pipe) and the plastic can distort ... leading to the battery melting into place.

Frank Warner said:
Down 'ere 'they' (the battery sellers) say that the metal jacket is required for motorcycles. Apparently on some bikes (HDs) the battery gets hot (exhaust pipe) and the plastic can distort ... leading to the battery melting into place.

They should supply the UK one with a thermal jacket to keep the thing warm, its the cold that killed my standard battery....Perhaps a heated vest for it. :D

Ordered a new PC680 from Cheshire Batteries today.

Very helpful guy said that Hawker Odyssey had stopped doing the plain vanilla version and that they all come with the metal jacket.....that is all of them since he ran his stocks down and then re-ordered. For what it's worth, i got the metal Jacket one today for £59.40 inclusive... :beerjug:

Thanks to Les Wassell for the recommendation :thumb That's why we pay our tenner.... ;)

Dick Dastardly said:
i got the metal Jacket one today for £59.40 inclusive... :beerjug:

What???????? £59.40!!!!!!!!! I was charged £59.50!!!!!!!!!!They saw me coming didn't they!:koi I will go back and demand my 10p back! :D

What is the best way to get around the earth lead screw being fixed permanently? so making fixing to the battery a little bit tricky, I am fitting mine on friday and would like to get whatever i need before hand, thanks to Les and others for there help in sourceing the Hawker, incuding postage it still works out a lot cheaper than the BM one and a better battery to boot!

I just fabricated(made ;) ) one of these....

bmwpost_sm.gif

from a peice of metal I had floating around.

beacon said:
What is the best way to get around the earth lead screw being fixed permanently?

:confused: i guess you mean the problem of connecting the existing leads to the different terminals on the hawker?

i used a 2 bits of bent copper bar with two holes drilled in each.

Most second-hand bike dealers normally have brass right-angle adapters for batteries on the shelf.

Jimb said:
The westco is a gel battery just like the Hawker and is the same size as the original and has the right posts on it.

Same as wot Jimb said (and I've said before) straight swap wiv no adaptations :thumb

Back
Top Bottom