filling the tank on a 1100

jeff

Hi All. Happy New Year. I know this subject has been discussed before but I don't know how to find it on the Forum. I can't get my petrol tank full, which is not a big problem when doing short rideouts but I will be going further afield in the summer so a full tank would be nice. Can anyone tell how to get the tank full? Regards.

Patience is the best answer!

Otherwise you can remove the filler cap and the tube inside the tank and drill a breather hole near the neck to let the trapped air out.

Beware if doing this that the rubber O-ring is a bu**er to get back in as it expands and needs to be thoroughly dried and aired before it will fit back properly.

Finally, don't fill the tank to the brim if not about to ride off immediately, the fuel can start to siphon out of the overflow, especially if the bike is put on the side stand or left in the sun!

Iain

Iain Hogg said:
Beware if doing this that the rubber O-ring is a bu**er to get back in as it expands and needs to be thoroughly dried and aired before it will fit back properly.

Iain

...and a new one from bmw is too small & is also a right bugger to fit. i bought a new O ring the right size from a bearing shop for pennies. filler goes straight on now :thumb

Fill up before a ride to stop the syphoning and fill up when using the center stand. Rock the bike back and forth when filling up and you get loads more in the tank.

I've had my 1100GS for ages and never felt the need to drill the neck of the tank.

If you fill the tank right up,and then mark where the level is on the neck after the overflow has done its bit,you don't get a big pool of petrol around you after you fill up.I put a home brew tap on the end of my overflow pipe,close the tap,fill up,ride off and after about 30 miles,open the tap and any petrol that was in the pipe gets sucked back into the tank.BUT BE WARNED,if you put the tap on the overflow/breather pipe,and forget to open the tap again,the fuel pump will suck your tank flat as the fuel gets used

if you're careful - drill the neck in place - grease a 5mm drill and stuff the neck with rags. Re-grease the drill after each hole.

Drill 6 equi-spaced holes.

pull the rag out quickly to expel metal filings.

I get 23 litres in mine if i run veeeeery low.

Replacing Filler Assembly

I found getting the filler assembly to sit squarely and in the correct position while the 6 retaining bolts were started difficult.

3 off, M5x75mm studs screwed into the filler retaining holes in the tank will allow you to push the filler assembly down squarely and in the correct position to the point were correct 3 bolts can be used. Once they're in place, remove long bolts and replace with 3 remaining correct bolts.

Coach bolts from B+Q will do.

filling the tank

Hi All. Thanks for the replies. I'll have a go of taking a bit more time filling up and shake the bike during the process. Cheers, Jeff

filling up

Thanks Paul. That is a good thread. I have to see if i can do the same mod. Regards, Jeff

Back
Top Bottom