garmin quest

I'm sort of balancing the two too - Quest II and 2610, that is.

Quest II has pre-loaded EU City Navigator, you'd need to buy a 2Gb CF card on top of the 2610 to hold that much, I think. The Quest II has the built-in battery if you want to use it off the bike, whereas the 2610 requires a power connection (you can get non-Garmin packs to power it off-bike though, I think).

The 2610 has a bigger screen too.

I think my final choice may be down to a 2610 if I can get one from the US (what difference does the base map make if you have the whole of the EU on a CF card?) or maybe the new 60CSx (has a faster, better chip for acquiring satellites and takes a microSD memory card that are currently up to 512Mb, with 1Gb and 2Gb in the pipeline, apparently, but it doesn't have voice for routing).

Not sure where to go on this, but luckily I'm not planning to buy for a while so I've got plenty of time :D

Just to throw another log on the fire, the Quest stores more track logs than the 2610. 10,000 v 2000...........

Now if they did a Quest II, but with a screen the size of the 2610, that'd be the doggies :thumb

As far as I can see, the Quest 2 is more like a 2720 than a 2610.

The one thing the 2720 has that the Quest 2 doesn't is the GTM 10, an optional FM RDS-TMC traffic receiver that receives digital information (where available) on traffic, road construction, and weather-related tie-ups.

There are also differences in the number of routes, waypoints and track logs between these models, but they don't seem to be decision making differences.

If I can get confirmation on the Quest 2's ability to do full postcode searching, I'm up for one. The portability and cost difference against the 2720 being the deciding factors.

If I had the money, a 2720 would be nice on the bike due to the excellent hi-res screen.
:) PB

samwise said:
The 2610 has a bigger screen too.

It certainly has but I've recently used a tip from Fanum with my Quest 1. When navigating I turn off the data fields with speed, time to next turn, arrival time etc... to get a bigger map view. It still gives turn warnings so I don't get lost (ahem).

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom