Best time of year for a Scotland tour?

bakerlonglegs

Relative numpty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,
After a shite 2005, I'm determined to get my whinging, desk-bound arse out on the bike more in 2006. One ambition has always been a tour of Scotland and the planning starts here.... :D
There's loads on this board about good roads, which I've only just started to trawl, but when is the best/worst time of year to come up? Any time to particularly avoid?
Thanks,
Andy

May is usually quite good ... weather is OK and the midges aren't too bad.

Im afraid its a gamble any time of the year. But the weather is not as bad as some folk say.
Here is a pic taken on Jan 2 this year. It was sunny and warm.

Attachments

• IMG_0071 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0071 (Medium).JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 271
I agree with the May suggestion, we usually go for a wee run on the May holiday weekend and its always been pretty good. Also as previously suggested the midges are a bit less annoying.

Check out the campsite at Fort Augustus, good facilities, drying room, kitchen with kettle and micro, showers, all open 24/7 and only £4 a night. Its also a good base point because of its central location. :thumb

Allan

good luck on your tour of scotland hope the weather stays fine and make sure you stay safe :beer: :beer:

The first weekend in june is our annual lads weekend away, friday to monday. We usually have one day where the weather is best described as crap but on average the rest of the days make up for it. If you can go anytime I would recommend after the cold/wet and before the midges :confused:

Spring is good. If you can be flexible Keep an eye on the forecast for High pressure. I was over Twice this year for four days a piece. End of April start of May and Start of September. Both times four days of unbroken sunshine by waiting for the weather. :D

I agree with the suggestion of May, when I used to go on Munro bagging expedition's I would have went Early May and was fortunate enough to have brill weather the other Month I found reasonable was September,but as has been said you take your chances up North.

Regd's K

As Den and the others say it can be a bit of a hit and miss.
May into early June would be my recommendation.
This was today, not too busy. :rolleyes:
51515583-L.jpg

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

G C

Fantastic! Thanks for the replies, piccies and advice from all :thumb
May/June sounds good to me.
Can't fecking wait, really looking forward to it. Bizarre tho' this may sound, have been meaning to do this for years and just never got it together. For all sorts of reasons, I'm hoping this year will be full of stuff like this.
Thanks again. :D :beerjug:

G.C. is that A861 heading east through Glen Tarbert?

I went up in August '03. Bloody brilliant 10 days, never saw any rain, never saw any midges (although I camped in the right places) and north of Inverness I hardly saw any people. I though it was going to be peak season and packed. Not at all. Only in the busy places like Loch Lomand / Skye was it 'busy' i.e. No Vacancies in the B&B's. Surpisingly you could get a B&B bed for the night for £20 north of Inverness even in August.

Good luck with the tour, you can't help but enjoy. Might be doing it again myself this year.

You've posted some gooduns G.C.

G.C. said:
As Den and the others say it can be a bit of a hit and miss.
May into early June would be my recommendation.
This was today, not too busy. :rolleyes:
51515583-L.jpg

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

G C

But that is one inspirational photo, wish I wuz there :( :cool:

G.C. said:
:thumb is that a good road or what. G C

Travelled that road many times marking out the route of the 6 Days Trial.

NorCalMo said:
Very nice Den. Got one of Scotland? :D

Very funny Mr Roberts. That was Dysart harbour ,Just along the road from my wee heeland hame.
Here is one from today. Its Aberdour . A couple of miles the other way. Still in sunny Scotland in January !
Still getting used to new camera. Foregrounds a bit dark. Inchcolm island with abbey on it in distance.

Attachments

• IMG_0089 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0089 (Large).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 77
Den said:
Here is one from today. Its Aberdour .

Den, I thought that Aberdour beach had been cleaned up? That looks like a particularly large turd about to be washed up... :eek:

Nice photo's Den :cool: I don't know what your commission is from the Scottish Tourist Board, but you're worth every penny. I was talking to my brother about a Scottish tour in the next year or two - your pics are definitely encouraging.

I'll stand you a wee dram when I'm up there. :thumb

Doesnt matter when you tour in Scotland the only difference is how cold the rain is :D

Best wait till it freezes then get out, this was new years day :thumb

Attachments

• new years day 029.jpg
    new years day 029.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 59

Back
Top Bottom