650 or 1200?

GSposer

Hello and happy new year (is it too late?).

Recently got a f650 gs as a first bike, use it mainly to get about town and short runs, had sooo much fun I have now decided to bugger off round europe and a bit of north africa for the spring/summer. Could do with your collective wisdom before I start chucking the banks money about. Not sure whether to go for a 1200gs or stick with the 650gs and just get a screen that doesn't act as a helmet remover over 60mph.

(P.S someone call me a tosser, I need validation!)

Tosser! :D

Try it on the 650, then do it next year on a 12?

The only place the 650 suffers is high-speed stuff or where huge power would be handy....

....Having said all that, if money is no object get a 12 - Do have a good test ride first?

:beerjug: :dabone :beerjug:

thanks for that... and the advice.
I will book a test ride next week, not too bothered about the initial outlay its more about the running cost when on the road. the people at BMW parklane are a bit ergonomical with the truth(they shape it to fit you). are parts/accessories the same price regardless of the dealership?

Tosser,go to park lane,have a test ride on the 1200(to Morrocco)then take it back and go Nah.Sorted

ChrisKelley said:
....Having said all that, if money is no object get a 12 - Do have a good test ride first?

:beerjug: :dabone :beerjug:

Wait until they have ironed out all the problems with the 12 or get yourself a nice 1150 :hapybnce: :D

And welcome to the site :thumb

GSposer,

If you are travelling one up, definitely do it on a 650. You can strap loads of luggage over the rear end using a roll bag. You will get 75-85 mpg and you will be just about as quick as a 1200 on all the twisties. Just stay clear of boring straight road and motorways and you will have a ball. The small screen really is not an issue unless you redline it in top gear. :cool:

If you want to go two up with loads of luggage I would go for a boxer so you have some more space. :thumb PB

Hi there mi ol' Tosser..

ChrisKelley said:
Try it on the 650, then do it next year on a 12?

The only place the 650 suffers is high-speed stuff or where huge power would be handy....

Agree wholeheartedly :thumb

Except... don't do it next year on a 12, use the money to go even further afield on your 650 :clap

Hello and welcome,GSposer.
Looks like you`ve had your question answered.... :beerjug:

thanks everyone! I have got loads more of stupid questions but I will see if the answers are lurking in previous posts before I bother you again. I have decided to stick to the F650 GS but have booked the test drive so it would be rude not try it out.

GSposer said:
thanks everyone! I have got loads more of stupid questions but I will see if the answers are lurking in previous posts before I bother you again. I have decided to stick to the F650 GS but have booked the test drive so it would be rude not try it out.

This could be a mistake: I had a test-ride and was back at home, having put down a deposit and wondering how I was going to pay for my new bike, before I realised what I'd done.... :D

:beerjug:

GSposer said:

Wallet warning, wallet warning!.

Test rides are breeding grounds for an attack of The Voices. And once they start, the virus spreads quickly to the wallet. There is no known cure.

jedi-knight said:
Wallet warning, wallet warning!.

Test rides are breeding grounds for an attack of The Voices. And once they start, the virus spreads quickly to the wallet. There is no known cure.

So true! I had a test ride in November on a 1200 and managed to hold out until december mate before I caved in!

Anyone who tests a bike and tells themselves they won't buy it have either

1) test ridden a Harley

or

2) are delusional and need to seek medical advice quickly! :D

Tell me about it......... perfectly good 650.

I only went pillion on the back of a 1200 at a dealer open day...... :confused:

Jumped off ..... walked straight over to salesman and said " Yes please.... a girls gotta have one :D ...... and it must be a yellow/black combo

3 weeks later..... there it was in the showroom with my name on it . :eek:

Then of course the purse was open ......

Set of Zega's
H&B bars
Bar risers
Hard part
Ohlins

Test ride...hah..... be afraid be very afraid ;)

Well it's funny how life has a habit of crapping on you from a great height!

Business was ticking along but at the stage where I could wind it down take 3-4 months off and pick up where I left off.
So... thanks to your advice/scarmongering re:test rides decided to do it on my 650, ordered in some panniers, spent a weekend choosing a GPS, almost booked the ferry and then some son of a bitch offers me a opportunity that I would be stupid to refuse. So it looks like the closest I am going to get to morocco is the bottom of the edgeware road :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom